The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

The bottom line is Mr. Hess should not have interacted with them unless they were threatening him/partners physically.

It reminds me of a saying my parents told me while growing up.

"Stick and stones my break my bones but words will never hurt"
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
The game manager with the badge showed up fairly quickly. Playing to the moron fans on the way out should have gotten a game ban from the school. Doubt that will happen, though.
I am sure there is going to be something said from the conference office based on the report given by the officials.

And for all we know there could have been some previous problems at this school and with these guys. Sometimes officials are put on notice of these things and take care of what has been a problem. I just do not like to draw conclusions based on a very little part of the overall story. I can imagine throwing out a fan if they say some very specific things and not waiting to have them ejected. If we did this more maybe fans would realize that paying your money and being close to the floor is not a license to say anything you want. I love how one of the guys said Hess had "rabbit ears" but for all we know he could have said something that most of us would be inappropriate.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
The bottom line is Mr. Hess should not have interacted with them unless they were threatening him/partners physically.

So if he made racial comments, sexual comments, comments about his family, those should be ignored?

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 04:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

1. You don't know enough to reach your bottom line.

2. Physical threats aren't the only thing we need to address.

3. It was a stupid saying when I was a kid, and it's a stupid saying now.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 05:19pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am sure there is going to be something said from the conference office based on the report given by the officials.

And for all we know there could have been some previous problems at this school and with these guys. Sometimes officials are put on notice of these things and take care of what has been a problem. I just do not like to draw conclusions based on a very little part of the overall story. I can imagine throwing out a fan if they say some very specific things and not waiting to have them ejected. If we did this more maybe fans would realize that paying your money and being close to the floor is not a license to say anything you want. I love how one of the guys said Hess had "rabbit ears" but for all we know he could have said something that most of us would be inappropriate.

Peace
Somehow, I suspect very few guys with rabbit ears work ACC games.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 05:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Somehow, I suspect very few guys with rabbit ears work ACC games.
And Big East. I think he is doing fine.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if he made racial comments, sexual comments, comments about his family, those should be ignored?

Peace
I'm saying yes. You don't get to that level worrying about what people are saying from the stands. They don't know me or my upbring to even comment on it.

It shows their ignorance in my book.

You just smile and say thank you and keep it moving.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. You don't know enough to reach your bottom line.

2. Physical threats aren't the only thing we need to address.

3. It was a stupid saying when I was a kid, and it's a stupid saying now.

1. You don't know what I know.

2. Physical threats are the only things i would concern myself with.

3. Yep, I expected that mindset.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

I never said he should not have gotten rid of them.

I said, he's gotten "unneeded publicity." If you think that it's a good idea to have all this negativity because of his actions, then you must be as big of an idiot as the two he tossed.

He should have followed protocol, gone to game management and had them take care of it instead of standing at the table, engaging them and giving them the old heave-ho.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm saying yes. You don't get to that level worrying about what people are saying from the stands. They don't know me or my upbring to even comment on it.

That is wonderful, but that is a place of education and if they are calling people out by racial, sexual and other inappropriate comments like that, they would be gone. And those comments are not allowed in other aspects of any university life or on campus, why allowable here? And I have been called a racial slur and guess what you think happened to those individuals?

That is not ignorance, that is policy. I doubt seriously that the officials are told to ignore those kinds of comments even if you do not agree with them. I did not see the people at the school objecting and I am sure the conference did not either if those comments I mentioned above took place.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

As a spectator I understand to an extent what he did, but I don't know what they said either. I think it shows thin skin. Players/coaches get heckled all the time, why are officials above this and untouchable? Just looking from another view point, coaches and players have to answer for their mistakes, why not officials? Not saying he did bad during the game because I didn't watch it. I've always wanted to see officials be open to the media, not about specific calls, but for questioning and comments. People would get more insight on what the thought process is behind certain things.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You don't think people at that level are going to take care of an idiot fan who is saying obscene comments (sexual/racial/ethic slurs, etc) loud and clear enough to be identified?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

NC State is fully supporting the two former players in this situation.

"I have spoken to Commissioner John Swofford and Karl Hicks, Associate Commissioner for Basketball Operations, regarding our concerns and our need for clarification as to why this occurred," said NC State athletic director Debbie Yow. "We expect fair treatment of our fans at State athletic events."

Further, they are now planning an impromptu ceremony honoring the 1989 Wolfpack team on Tuesday that was not previously planned. The two players were part of the '89 team.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy25 View Post
As a spectator I understand to an extent what he did, but I don't know what they said either. I think it shows thin skin. Players/coaches get heckled all the time, why are officials above this and untouchable? Just looking from another view point, coaches and players have to answer for their mistakes, why not officials? Not saying he did bad during the game because I didn't watch it. I've always wanted to see officials be open to the media, not about specific calls, but for questioning and comments. People would get more insight on what the thought process is behind certain things.
You have no way of knowing if the official had thin skin or not as you don't know what was said. And it's not as if he went out of his way to address this...the freaking idiots are right at the scorer's table where officials are at all the time taking care of our duties throughout the game.

Also officials do answer for their mistakes...we all have bosses we have to answer to if something goes wrong. There would be little point in having officials open to the media...we know exactly what the questions would be.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is wonderful, but that is a place of education and if they are calling people out by racial, sexual and other inappropriate comments like that, they would be gone. And those comments are not allowed in other aspects of any university life or on campus, why allowable here? And I have been called a racial slur and guess what you think happened to those individuals?

That is not ignorance, that is policy. I doubt seriously that the officials are told to ignore those kinds of comments even if you do not agree with them. I did not see the people at the school objecting and I am sure the conference did not either if those comments I mentioned above took place.

Peace
Maybe my vision is bigger?

I truly doubt anything racial, sexual and other inappropriate comments was said to Mr. Hess. If so, I am quite sure someone would have spoken up before Mr. Hess took the actions he took.. So thats quite a reach Mr. Rutledge.