The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 04:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
I'm guessing back on the threads that asked about game fees you probably just posted a breakdown for your area. I doubt you responded by asking, "How would our answers help you?".
Apples and oranges. One question is clearly for informational purposes while the other started off as a "clarification" question in relation to a real situation.

I just assume when someone puts forth a real-world basketball question such as this one they are looking for a real-world answer that applies to their situation.

So, are you saying you are not a basketball official? If you are then how is it handled whereever it is you officiate because you still haven't told us that. If not, then my bad for assuming you were an official.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 04:42pm.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 04:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Apples and oranges. One question is clearly for informational purposes while the other started off as a "clarification" question in relation to a real situation.
It amazes me the things people get upset about when they ask a question. If you did not want an answer why would you ask in the first place? I guess I will never understand some people here at all.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
I just assume when someone puts forth a real-world basketball question such as this one they are looking for a real-world answer that applies to their situation.

So, are you saying you are not a basketball official? If you are then how is it handle whereever it is you officiate. If not, then my bad for assuming you were an official.
Yep, I am looking for real-world answers to how different areas handle this situation. And I got your answer, "I don't concern myself with it." You can determine from the posts to this point which ones I probably deem informative and which ones not so much.

Yep, I am an official. From what I've heard today, the coach was allowed to be a part of the Senior Night ceremony before the game and then left the gym.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 04:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yep, I am looking for real-world answers to how different areas handle this situation. And I got your answer, "I don't concern myself with it." You can determine from the posts to this point which ones I probably deem informative and which ones not so much.

Yep, I am an official. From what I've heard today, the coach was allowed to be a part of the Senior Night ceremony before the game and then left the gym.
And if he did, are you going to be the person that makes sure he does not participate? What are you going to do when the administration tells you to go jump off a cliff? You going to throw them out of the gym too?

See, this is why you need to talk to your local people. I would not do a thing and probably would not know this took place. I do not stand out and watch those ceremonies anyway. And if someone came and told me that happen, I would be like, "Oh.....OK."

We only control what goes on between the lines, not who participates in some ceremony that could be in the gym or down the hall. Not my/our concern unless there is a policy in place and even then I do not go looking for trouble.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 04:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yes, but how many were positive as well as informative? And were any helpful and informative, but not positive?

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 05:05pm.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is a legitimate question, but not sure how we are to handle something we do not control. And that is why this question needs to be cognizant of the fact that officials do not take tickets, act as security and tell people who can and cannot come into a facility we do not own.

Peace
I'd suggest to not make it difficult. You could of said something like, "The IHSA mandates that the coach ________." Or you could have replied, "The conferences in my area say that the coach ___________." Or, if you have no idea, then say "I have no idea."

Either way, I have no idea how ticket taking and crowd security got brought into this......
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 05:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'd suggest to not make it difficult. You could of said something like, "The IHSA mandates that the coach ________." Or you could have replied, "The conferences in my area say that the coach ___________." Or, if you have no idea, then say "I have no idea."

Either way, I have no idea how ticket taking and crowd security got brought into this......
Actually no I should not have said that and it would have been stupid to say that. For one the IHSA does not have policies that we enforce who shows up to a school after an ejection. Not something they ask officials to even report unless you are working a double header and that coach stuck around for the second game. Even then I would not prevent the coach from staying. Also there are no such conference rules either that I have ever been aware of. And since all HS games are under IHSA Jurisdiction, those rules trump all rules from an officiating standpoint.

Also you have not been reading this site very long I see as there are states that ask their officials to do all kinds of things. There is a state that wants the officials to stick around after the game to make sure that sportsmanship is displayed in something like the handshake line. There is no way for anyone here to know what your state wants to do and if I said what my policy was, it may not apply to you at all. Again, your question was not to find out lists of stuff, your question had a real world application and would vary by where you live.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to Rockchalk and Rocky for actually giving a productive answer to what I thought was a fairly simple question. However, you make want to reconsider said answers as it appears that the question I formulated was futile from inception, thus not warranting a response to begin with.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And if he did, are you going to be the person that makes sure he does not participate? What are you going to do when the administration tells you to go jump off a cliff? You going to throw them out of the gym too?

See, this is why you need to talk to your local people. I would not do a thing and probably would not know this took place. I do not stand out and watch those ceremonies anyway. And if someone came and told me that happen, I would be like, "Oh.....OK."

We only control what goes on between the lines, not who participates in some ceremony that could be in the gym or down the hall. Not my/our concern unless there is a policy in place and even then I do not go looking for trouble.

Peace
You asked what was done for the local situation. I don't care what was decided, just merely interested as to WHAT would be decided. I'm guessing if it wasn't Senior Night, he wouldn't have been there at all. I'm also guessing that the local assignor told the crew of the decision that was made and to make sure the it was carried out in a reasonable fashion.

I have no clue why some (you) thought I was making the decision for this situation. I've re-read all posts and nowhere did I say "I have to decide what to do." Trust me, if I were, I doubt I'd be coming here for guidance.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 09:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...I'm guessing if it wasn't Senior Night, he wouldn't have been there at all. I'm also guessing that the local assignor told the crew of the decision that was made and to make sure the it was carried out in a reasonable fashion.
I have my doubts that the crew would be told to make sure the coach was not in the facility. I don't think we have that authority.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have my doubts that the crew would be told to make sure the coach was not in the facility. I don't think we have that authority.
Considering it was a home game, I'm sure there were at least a few school personnel that could assist in making happen what needed to happen. It's called using the resources available to you. And I've never had a game where there wasn't gym administration available to get things done for situations, as you say, where we don't have authority. I think that's fairly obvious.

The crew doesn't have to start the game until they're satisfied that things are in order. That's the only authority you need.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Considering it was a home game, I'm sure there were at least a few school personnel that could assist in making happen what needed to happen. It's called using the resources available to you. And I've never had a game where there wasn't gym administration available to get things done for situations, as you say, where we don't have authority. I think that's fairly obvious.

The crew doesn't have to start the game until they're satisfied that things are in order. That's the only authority you need.
I've never heard of officials being told to mess with this. Ever. It's a lot like player eligibility. It's up to the school to comply, and between them and the state if they don't. Similarly, what compliance looks like is beyond my scope.

We enforce ejections and disqualifications, we don't enforce suspensions.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:43am
Esteemed Participant

IUgrad, I had a game last season where the Head Coach had been ejected and was NOT supposed to be in the gym. Got a call from my assignor on the way to the gym telling us that if the HC was there, don't worry about it, don't try to do anything about it, just call him (the assignor) back after the game and let him know and he would report it to the State.

We have no authority to enforce the State's policy - that's up to the school. We simply report.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

In my state the coach is disqualified for that contest and suspended for the next.A lot of schools have security in their gym or readily available to enforce an ejection should it become necessary. Attendance at the contest where the coach should be suspended results in automatic forefeiture.Here is California's ejection rule-

1624. COACH EJECTION
Upon ejection, the head or assistant coach shall be disqualified from participating in the remainder of the game and will be ineligible for the team’s next contest. The next contest may not be a forfeited, postponed or canceled game. A second ejection will constitute a two contest suspension and a third ejection will cause suspension for the remainder of the season. A coach who was ejected from the previous contest who, knowingly or unknowingly, participates in or is in attendance at the next contest, will result in the forfeiture of that contest.

QUESTION: What is meant by attendance at a contest?
ANSWER: Attendance is defined as being present at the team bench/area, inside a gymnasium, stadium or playing area. The intent of this rule is that the ejected person is not present at the next contest.
QUESTION: How does the Accountability Rule affect a coach who coaches more than one level of a particular sport?
ANSWER: A coach who has been ejected from a contest may not be in attendance at ANY contest prior to serving his/her mandatory suspension. (i.e.: An ejected JV coach who is also a varsity assistant may NOT be in attendance at any contest until his/her mandatory JV suspension has been completed.)
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 02:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
In my state the coach is disqualified for that contest and suspended for the next.A lot of schools have security in their gym or readily available to enforce an ejection should it become necessary. Attendance at the contest where the coach should be suspended results in automatic forefeiture.Here is California's ejection rule-

1624. COACH EJECTION
Upon ejection, the head or assistant coach shall be disqualified from participating in the remainder of the game and will be ineligible for the team’s next contest. The next contest may not be a forfeited, postponed or canceled game. A second ejection will constitute a two contest suspension and a third ejection will cause suspension for the remainder of the season. A coach who was ejected from the previous contest who, knowingly or unknowingly, participates in or is in attendance at the next contest, will result in the forfeiture of that contest.

QUESTION: What is meant by attendance at a contest?
ANSWER: Attendance is defined as being present at the team bench/area, inside a gymnasium, stadium or playing area. The intent of this rule is that the ejected person is not present at the next contest.
QUESTION: How does the Accountability Rule affect a coach who coaches more than one level of a particular sport?
ANSWER: A coach who has been ejected from a contest may not be in attendance at ANY contest prior to serving his/her mandatory suspension. (i.e.: An ejected JV coach who is also a varsity assistant may NOT be in attendance at any contest until his/her mandatory JV suspension has been completed.)
Does this also address how it is enforced? Who is responsible for reporting infractions?