The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 12:29pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
When I'm the R I tell my partner(s) in pregame that I am not asking for speaking captains and please don't ask for them. Half of them still do.
There are those that strongly believe in speaking captains, and you're not going to change their minds.

Two partners have pitched to me that we're raising leaders in captains. If they want them that badly, I just let it happen. It's not worth the debate.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I don't ask for speaking captains either. I'm the exception and not the rule locally.

"You're all captains, take care of your teams on the court. Good sportsmanship is expected, good luck and have fun. Coaches, please communicate to us which type of timeout you want".

That's it.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I don't ask for speaking captains either. I'm the exception and not the rule locally.
+1

Had a partner come over the top of me & ask for numbers. This was after I stated in our pregame how I didnt care who asked me questions, just as long as they asked respectfully.

End of 4th Q, I ask him "what are our speaking captains numbers again?"
Of course he went Ralph Kramden on me
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Last week.

Meeting with out-of-area visiting coach whose tieam has a noticeable size disadvantage:

me: "BadNewsRef. Good luck. If you have any questions during the game just ask"
HC: "Do you have any points of emphasis for me?"
me: "Huh, just to enforce the rules"
HC: "Last time we played this team it got pretty physical. There were almost a couple of skirmishes"
me: "Oh, well we have something to take of that--our whistles" End of 1st quarter:

Team foul count = 1 - 0 (easy PC foul on visitors)
Halftime: Team foul count = 5 - 3
Final total for game = 11 - 11

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Feb 07, 2012 at 02:59pm.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I don't ask for speaking captains...why would I? I let any player that wants to talk to me REPSECTFULLY talk to me.

Coaches: "Hi Coach, let's have fun tonight! If you see anything, don't be afraid to let us know...(usually get a wry smile)We'll let you know if it's too much!"
Richland, WA
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 03:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
End of 4th Q, I ask him "what are our speaking captains numbers again?"
Of course he went Ralph Kramden on me
Hah! I may have to try this sometime.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 03:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

I do say "Mr. U1, Mr. U2, Mr BNR" and ask "who's talking" at the captain's meeting, but only out of habit b/c all the guys who have mentored me have always done it. Now that I think of it I'm using it as a transitional bridge to get the captains attention instead of just jumping in and saying "You take care of yours and you take care of yours". (and no me saying "Mr" has never made me unapproachable )

Still after all the fist bumps/handshakes the speaking part of my meeting lasts no more than 10-15 seconds.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 06:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Short And Sweet ...

"Make sure that your players are properly equipped, that they know how to wear their uniforms properly, and we want everyone to practice good sportsmanship. And most importantly, it's the black line all the way around".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 06:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

These Are A Few Years Old ...

The National High School Federation and your state association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let the competition reflect mutual respect among participants and officials. Coaches please certify that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according the NFHS rules. Good luck and have a great contest! (New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Kentucky High School Athletic Association)

"PIAA requires all registered sports' officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated. Let today's contest reflect mutual respect. Coaches please certify to the contest official(s) that your players are legally equipped and uniformed according to NFHS rules and PIAA adoptions. Good luck in today's contest." (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association)

To captains: The FHSAA requires officials to enforce all rules regarding unsportsmanlike conduct by players and coaches. Violators will be ejected. It is strongly suggested that you remind your teammates and coaches of this policy. Additionally, this is a simple reminder that jewelry is not allowed, and jerseys must be tucked in during play if they are designed to be worn in. To coaches: Coaches, do you certify that your players are properly equipped and will demonstrate sportsmanlike behavior during today’s contest? (Florida High School Activities Association)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 08:51pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
All politics is local

FHSAA wants officials to be consistent in all areas, so that when they assign mixed crews from different associations, the teams know what to expect. Some things like speaking captains seem to be overkill, but that is what FHSAA wants of its officials. If there is anything unusual about the court, and last night's district playoff game had something, I will mention it. I ask the coaches their required questions & dismiss them. Then I take a few seconds with the players to cover anything else required by FHSAA. I ask my partners if they have anything, and they both shake their heads "no", and then I tell 'em to have fun, and head to the table. We are supposed to do the 12, 10 & 1 routine, and if there is any longwindedness at the meeting, then I don't get to the table in time.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I've never asked for a speaking captain, and I don't plan on it. I would forget as soon as the meeting was over.

By this time of season, they've heard it so many times. A partner recently told me that when they got together, a coach said "Everyone's properly equipped, we know the concussion rule, we'll let you know on timeouts, they'll display good sportsmanship, did I forget anything?"

The shorter the better.
Had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. Partner was R (2-whistle), visiting coach said everything and we said, "Yep, that will cover it."
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

My partner came up with a good one lastnight. Its getting close to end of season and most players get the same old sportsmanship/play fair, etc pregame speech. Referee asks for spokesman for each team. He pulls out a quarter from his pocket and says, "no jump ball tonight guys, visiting team you are heads, home team, tails. Visiting team call it in the air to determine who gets ball first. They all looked dumbfounded and we all started laughing and then did our usual pregame stuff,,,,,
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

My short one

"Questions? Have a good game."

My long one

"Take care of your teams. If you have a questions come see us, we will answer. If you play basketball, we'll leave you alone and if you dont, we'll blow the whistle. Put it in the hole."

I dont ask for the speakers anymore either.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I never ask for speaking captains either. Why denigrate two other kids by making them join the meeting only to ignore them?

"If you run into the cheerleaders, keep your hands down."

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I don't really know the purpose of asking for speaking captains either but I do it b/c it's standard practice here. It really just serves as a way to transition from the handshakes and the kids expect it.

After that I say something along the lines of "sportsmanship at all times, have fun, put it in the basket. Any questions.....ask these guys," and then I walk over to the table.

Last night I was the U1 and our normal pre-game was interrupted for senior night. The R, who I've worked with before and really like as an official, told me to go ahead and do the capt meeting while he took care of the table. So I used what I typically hear him say:

"Shirts tucked, shorts up, mouths shut. Any questions?"