The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Ejected Coach Rules Clarification

Coach is ejected from HS varsity contest and leaves the playing area. Coach also is not allowed to coach the next game. Question is, can he still be at the game? Can he sit on the bleachers, but just not coach? Can he not be in the gym period?

Had never really thought about this part of the penalty. Not seeing anything from the Fed in this regard. Maybe it is handled at the state level?

What brought this up is that a coach was ejected and the 'penalty game' was Senior Night....
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is completely a local issue. It will vary based on the state, organization or conference rules involved. No one can answer for every jurisdiction as this is not a playing rules issue.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is completely a local issue. It will vary based on the state, organization or conference rules involved. No one can answer for every jurisdiction as this is not a playing rules issue.

Peace
Fair enough. Then I'd be curious to hear from those that have either been involved in such a situation or know how it has been handled in one's respective jurisdiction.....
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
Fair enough. Then I'd be curious to hear from those that have either been involved in such a situation or know how it has been handled in one's respective jurisdiction.....
I understand you want answers, but not everyone's rules are same. In my area if you are ejected I believe you cannot be at the game, but that is not something I monitor or know in most cases who was ejected before the my game. It is not something we would enforce as we cannot prevent someone from attending a game. I believe it would be up to those that observed the coach and reported it to the state. And trust me, someone will tell them if they violate this rule.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I don't concern myself with it. If know a coach is suspended due to a previous ejection I just check to make sure he's not on the bench.

But anyway, how would our answers help you? You should get concrete answers from your officiating association or state governing authority.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't concern myself with it. If know a coach is suspended due to a previous ejection I just check to make sure he's not on the bench.

But anyway, how would our answers help you? You should get concrete answers from your officiating association or state governing authority.
Good grief. I thought this was a forum for basketball related questions...

People ask what games fees are across the country. People ask how different assignors handle certain things. I.E, people are curious on how things are done in different areas. How is this any different?

I'd suggest not posting if you don't have something positive to add. That is, unless you're trying to hit post #5,500 by the end of the month.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You sir thought wrong! j/k
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

People ask what games fees are across the country. People ask how different assignors handle certain things. I.E, people are curious on how things are done in different areas. How is this any different?
I'd say he has a pretty legitimate point. He did say that he wanted to hear how it was handled in YOUR JURISDICTION.

That being said, I don't think you're allowed to be in the gym around these parts, but I've never officially heard that I guess.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

If a basketball coach has been ejected and someone has aquestion, I would think that is somewhat basketball related.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 02:58pm
Esteemed Participant

It's a valid question...people are just cranky this time of year. Tired from all the games + tax season, you know.

In Washington State, an ejected coach is not allowed to be in the gym at the next game.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 03:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I'd suggest not posting if you don't have something positive to add. That is, unless you're trying to hit post #5,500 by the end of the month.
You don't mind if I post to tell you I don't know, do you?

And mbyron, shut up.

Last edited by Adam; Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 03:54pm. Reason: to add more snark
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 03:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
I'd say he has a pretty legitimate point. He did say that he wanted to hear how it was handled in YOUR JURISDICTION.

That being said, I don't think you're allowed to be in the gym around these parts, but I've never officially heard that I guess.
It is a legitimate question, but not sure how we are to handle something we do not control. And that is why this question needs to be cognizant of the fact that officials do not take tickets, act as security and tell people who can and cannot come into a facility we do not own.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You don't mind if I post to tell you I don't know, do you?
Almost to 19,600.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 03:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

You seemed to be asking the question because you have a real-world situation that you are not sure how to handle. So my "something positive to add" portion was "You should get concrete answers from your officiating association or state governing authority."

My answer as to my jurisdiction was "I don't concern myself with it. If know a coach is suspended due to a previous ejection I just check to make sure he's not on the bench."

My own unsolicited input was "But anyway, how would our answers help you?"

My new question is "How have you decided or been told to handle it for the game in question?" assuming you are working the game or in that situation in the future.

Have I met all the elements of a correctable posting error?

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Feb 08, 2012 at 03:55pm.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You seemed to be asking the question because you have a real-world situation that you are not sure how to handle. So my "something positive to add" portion was "You should get concrete answers from your officiating association or state governing authority."

My answer as to my jurisdiction was "I don't concern myself with it. If know a coach is suspended due to a previous ejection I just check to make sure he's not on the bench."

My own unsolicited input was "But anyway, how would our answers help you?"

My new question is "How have you decided or been told to handle it for the game in question?" assuming you are working the game or in that situation in the future.

Have I met all the elements of a correctable posting error?
There is a real-world situation, but I am neither a state association, an organization, or a conference, so I have nothing to do with it. And I don't recall asking everyone what I should do. Again, just curious as to how it is handled across the country, as I had never really put much thought to it and could think of quite a few scenarios that seemed reasonable.

I'm guessing back on the threads that asked about game fees you probably just posted a breakdown for your area. I doubt you responded by asking, "How would our answers help you?".