The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pregame meeting with captains (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87747-pregame-meeting-captains.html)

cdmterp Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:22am

Pregame meeting with captains

I referee in Florida and we are required to meet with each team's captains and also the head coach. The referee for the game introduces himself and the other two referees and then asks each coach if their teams are properly equipped and if each team will display good sportsmanship in the game. The ref asks for the speaking captain for each team and reminds them to take care/handle their team. He also tells each team, "Blue talk to Blue and White talk to White." A reminder about timeouts and that about does it for the pregame meeting.

Does anyone else do anything differently in their meetings? Do you say anything else to the coaches? Do you tell players anything about how you're going to call the game? Just curious because I always feel like I want to say something else but don't know what. Any feedback would be appreciated.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:28am

1000 other threads on this. THe general consensus is "the shorter the better." What you have in your first paragraph, other than the last 2sentences, is fine.

doubleringer Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:30am

I introduce my partners and myself. Tell the coaches and captains that sportsmanship is a priortity, they are the captains and the coaches, please be a role model for everyone in the gym and do a nice job of representing your school. Coaches, first horn please break the huddle, players, on the second horn we want to put it in play.

Two things I personally never do is talk to players about what kind of contact will be allowed or ask for questions. Early in the year I may mention getting rid of jewelry and such if it looks like it may be an issue.

zm1283 Tue Feb 07, 2012 09:50am

"Move your feet on defense, we will try to talk you out of fouls early" :rolleyes:

wfd21 Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:08am

Had a competitive GV game last night. Told coaches and captains not to scream at us as they would hurt our feelings:eek:

Raymond Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:08am

Last night:

Captain's meeting: "Listen to your coaches, talk to your teammates"

Meeting with visiting coach: "BadNewsRef. You see where the box is?"
"Yes" "Cool, that's all I got"

Freddy Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:15am

I'm Sure I'm Gonna Hear It Sometime

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 820972)
"Move your feet on defense, we will try to talk you out of fouls early" :rolleyes:

"Tonight we're gonna play the black line all the way around. Oh, wait a minute, it's Thursday, isn't it? On Thursdays the bleachers are out-of-bounds...." :rolleyes:

stiffler3492 Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:29am

I've never asked for a speaking captain, and I don't plan on it. I would forget as soon as the meeting was over.

By this time of season, they've heard it so many times. A partner recently told me that when they got together, a coach said "Everyone's properly equipped, we know the concussion rule, we'll let you know on timeouts, they'll display good sportsmanship, did I forget anything?"

The shorter the better.

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:34am

captains:
"You know who your knuckleheads are. Take care of them so we don't have to."

coaches:
"Help us on timeouts so we don't have to guess. Get them out on the second horn. There's the coaching box."

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:36am

And never, ever, ever, add anything.

Smitty Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 820993)
And never, ever, ever, add anything.

Amen.

Adam Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 821009)
Amen.

I've had partners add various things, including the "we'll talk you out of stuff" and "who are the speaking captains?"

Smitty Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 821010)
I've had partners add various things, including the "we'll talk you out of stuff" and "who are the speaking captains?"

I know - it irritates me as well. I was just agreeing with you without using +1. When I'm the R I tell my partner(s) in pregame that I am not asking for speaking captains and please don't ask for them. Half of them still do.

Rich Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:53am

My entire captain's meeting the other night after the introductions and all the permutations of handshakes.

"Be good sports and have fun."

(One of the captains was so impressed with the brevity of my meeting, that she said, "That's it? COOL!")

One of my regular partners says I have the shortest captain's meeting and spend the longest time at the table. It's either that or spend 10-ish minutes back opposite the table with him. :D

I never ask my partners for input -- it keeps them from having any. I simply turn (I stand tableside with my back to the table when I'm the R) and go right to the table.

fullor30 Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:19pm

Lets have a fun, fair, safe game........we'll do the fair part.