The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Captains/Coaches Pregame meeting

I'm the "R" for the first time in a few days and will lead the pregame captains/coaches meeting.

Suggestions?
Topics that you like to address.
Lessons learned?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

By this time they've listened to it a lot. Keep it short:

- Speaking captains
- Sportsmanship
- Address any uniform/hairband/issues if there are any
- Coaches: Respect the box and let us know if you want a 30 or full TO.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:05am
This IS My Social Life

"Speaking Captain"???

Question 1:
Where and when did it originate that more than one representative from each team comes for the conference with the officials?
3-1-1 states, "Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain."
Now, I'm not saying I'm against it. I just find it somewhat odd that up to four members of each team come for a meeting, although only one can be the designated captain.
Shucks, why not just make it a meeting for all players of each team? That's something I don't consider all that bad an idea. Heck, let's skip the middlemen and just grab a mike and address the entire gymnasium for a pre-game conference!

Question 2:
Where did that designation "speaking captain" come from?
We never had it back in the 70's or early 80's, but I notice it has gained wide use now. Is that the adopted title now, to distinguish the one actual captain from the others who join him/her for the meeting with the officials?
This seems to be the application of 3-1-2, "The captain is the representative of his/her team and may address an official on matters of..."
But how many of you, when addressed politely by any player, would say, "Wait a minute, I can't answer your question--you're not the speaking captain"?

Question 3:
After the game starts, I kinda forget who the captains are, anyway. I'll answer any question from any player asking in a sportsmanlike manner. If I really need to remember who the captains are, I'd want them to each wear an armband or some identifiable item that shows to me they are the captains. Okay, they're marked as "captains" in the book, but I've never had a need to go back and find out who they were in order to carry out any responsibility as an official.
Have any of you really ever had a need to identify who the captains are in a real game situation?

Tentative Conclusion (pending your reaction and response, of course): This "speaking captain" thing seems to have become about as impractical and irrelevant as the statement, "Okay guys, tonight we're gonna play the black line all the way around."

Or am I off base on this? (Not to be confused with "off the baseline". )

(Sorry if it seems I'm hijacking your thread. I'm just trying to determine whether you should leave that foreign phrase "speaking captain" out of it.)

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Jan 19, 2009 at 01:12am.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Or am I off base on this?
I agree. I see other officials asking who is the speaking captain before the game but I have yet to see or even hear of a situation come up where knowing who the speaking captain was has been useful.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

When is the last time you saw the captain leave the meeting and go tell the rest of the team what we just told them? It is a little silly to have the meeting with just a couple of guys anyway. The more of the team that wants to listen the better. I cover sportsmanship, keep your ears open so we can try and keep you out of trouble, be ready to come in the game when you check in, and have a good time. I try to keep it simple and upbeat.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 02:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I agree. I see other officials asking who is the speaking captain before the game but I have yet to see or even hear of a situation come up where knowing who the speaking captain was has been useful.
All I think it does is help delegate "some" leadership with the kids. I usually write down the numbers in the book and when crap goes wrong, I try to use those players when I can. Hardly happens, but that is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
When is the last time you saw the captain leave the meeting and go tell the rest of the team what we just told them? It is a little silly to have the meeting with just a couple of guys anyway. The more of the team that wants to listen the better. I cover sportsmanship, keep your ears open so we can try and keep you out of trouble, be ready to come in the game when you check in, and have a good time. I try to keep it simple and upbeat.
Never. That is why I say as little as possible.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
All I think it does is help delegate "some" leadership with the kids. I usually write down the numbers in the book and when crap goes wrong, I try to use those players when I can. Hardly happens, but that is what I do.
Are you only using the speaking captain or any of the "captains" who came to the meeting?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 02:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Are you only using the speaking captain or any of the "captains" who came to the meeting?
Speaking captain.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 07:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Speaking In Tongues ???

I don't ask for speaking captains in my pregame. I will speak to anyone who approaches me politely.

That said, I've had many partners, who, as the referee, not only ask for speaking captains, but also ask if that speakng captain is starting? What if they say no?

I had a pregame this year with quad-captains from each team. There were twelve of us out there. I could have used a microphone like Freddy suggested.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
My partners and I have used the speaking captain from time to time to try to help "clean up" things from time to time. This is especially true in high school "rivalry" games. If it is one player, we can address the player. If it escalates to a number of players bumping one another, etc., we will speak to the captain from each team to ask that they help us avoid having to take action. When teams are slow coming out of the huddle, we will mention it to the coach. We also mention it to the captain.

As JRut points out, this RARELY happens, but everyone once in a while it does.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
I'm the "R" for the first time in a few days and will lead the pregame captains/coaches meeting.

Suggestions?
Topics that you like to address.
Lessons learned?
In Central Ohio, we meet with the captains at mid court before the game.
1. We introduce each other.
2. We only mention the floor markings if there is truly something unusual (for example, there is one gym that has a dark green line about 2 feet inside the black out of bounds line on ONE end of court. We mention this to specifically to the visiting team since we frequently saw the visiting team commit violations at that end of the floor when we did not mention it).
3. We remind them of the importance of sportsmanship.
3. We tell the players we are going to hustle for them and do our best to give them a good and fair game.
4. We tell them that we intend to enjoy the game and tell them to have fun.
5. Any questions?

We then speak to each coach individually.
1. We introduce ourselves.
2. We show them the coaching box markings IF there are multiple sets of lines.
3. We ask if their players are properly equipped.
4. We remind them of the importance of sportsmanship.
5. We ask they their players are ready to play when they check-in (uniform tucked in, etc.).
6. We ask them to let us know the type of time out when we ask.
7. We tell them we are going to hustle for them and do our best to give them a good and fair game.
8. Any questions?

Generally, less is more during these sessions.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I don't ask for speaking captains in my pregame. I will speak to anyone who approaches me politely.

That said, I've had many partners, who, as the referee, not only ask for speaking captains, but also ask if that speakng captain is starting? What if they say no?
Isn't the R supposed to verify with the captains that their teams are ready for the game to start (or some verbiage like that in 2-Referee's Duties)?

And, I have used the captain to help with a teammate issue, or to get the team out of the huddle promptly at the end of a time-out, etc.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
My partners and I have used the speaking captain from time to time to try to help "clean up" things from time to time. This is especially true in high school "rivalry" games. If it is one player, we can address the player. If it escalates to a number of players bumping one another, etc., we will speak to the captain from each team to ask that they help us avoid having to take action. When teams are slow coming out of the huddle, we will mention it to the coach. We also mention it to the captain.
What do you do if the speaking captain isn't in the game?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What do you do if the speaking captain isn't in the game?

Happens once in a while, I use the jumper. I can never remember the other 3 or 4 players that were at the meeting.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

When I am the R, I go with the 12-10-2 schedule. (Captains at 12:00, book at 10:00 and coaches at 2:00.)

I never ask for speaking captain. IF I have three players out there who I am discussing sportsman ship with, why would I tell two of them to ignore the next few seconds? Thats what is happening when you signify a speaking captain. Here's my spiel to Captains:

Quote:
Gentlemen (Ladies), you have been chosen as captains for your leadership abilities. You know who your hotheads are. If you keep them under control, then we don't have to. If the ball rolls into the corner or away from us have one of your teammates get it for us, you're a lot younger than we are. Respect the Game. Respect your opponents, respect the officials and have fun. Good Luck.
With the Coaches its even shorter.:

Quote:
Hi Coach, "Ignats75." (shake hands). Are your players properly equipped and ready to play? Your coaching box is marked there (point) with the *color* lines. Please signal the type of time out you want. If we do not get a clear signal, we will give you a full time out automatically. Please break them on the first horn. Good Luck.