The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Does it taste the same as the 70's? Some of my fondest memories are of stealing my old man's rusty cans of Schaefer from the basement when I was 16...
You missed one

Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 01:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Most Rewarding Flavor In This Man's World ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Does it taste the same as the 70's? Some of my fondest memories are of stealing my old man's rusty cans of Schaefer from the basement when I was 16.
I actually switched to Schaefer after my Dad passed away. He was a regular Schaefer drinker, and when I was little, he always used to let me take a sip. After he died, I spotted some Schaefer in my local package store, that's what we call them here in the Land Of Steady Habits (of course, being in the Land of Steady Habits, I didn't spot these six packs on a Sunday). I didn't think that it was sold anymore, not seeing any of those those great Schaefer commercials on television during sporting events for several years, but there those six packs were, sitting on the shelf. They say that your sense of smell connects directly to the memory part of your brain. They're right. Every time I open up, and drink, a cold one, I think fondly of my Dad, especially after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day, and sitting, and relaxing, on the front stoop.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 05, 2012 at 07:18pm.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 04:19pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
You get around

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I actually switched to Schaefer after my Dad passed away. He was a regular Schaefer drinker, and when I was little, he always used to let me take a sip. After he died, I spotted some Schaefer in my local package store, that's what we call them here in the Land Of Steady Habits (of course, being in the Land of Steady Habits, I didn't spot these six packs on a Sunday). I didn't think that it was sold anymore, not seeing any of those those great Schaefer commercials on television during sporting events for several years, but there those six packs were, sitting on the shelf. They say that your sense of smell connects directly to the memory part of your brain. They're right. Every time I open up, and drink, a cold one, I think fondly of my Dad, especially after mowing the lawn on a hot sumer day, and sitting, and relaxing, on the front stoop.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 04:52pm
This IS My Social Life

From the Land of Sky Blue Waters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
For those from within the range of WGN, and old enough to appreciate it:
Nothing like the memory of sitting around on a hot day listening to Jack Brickhouse and Lloyd Pettit doing play-by-play of Ernie Banks, Don Kessinger, and Billy Williams, etc., with a cold Hamms beer quelling the temps of the good old Sumer-time. The Friendly Confines, indeed!
Ah, the day...
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 05:38pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Then why can I still purchase a six pack at my local adult beverage super store?
Did you check the expiration date on that can?

Oh, sorry, no one heard of expiration dates back in the day.......
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 07:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Couldn't ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Did you check the expiration date on that can?
... too much rust.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 07:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
For those from within the range of WGN, and old enough to appreciate it:
Nothing like the memory of sitting around on a hot day listening to Jack Brickhouse and Lloyd Pettit doing play-by-play of Ernie Banks, Don Kessinger, and Billy Williams, etc., with a cold Hamms beer quelling the temps of the good old Sumer-time. The Friendly Confines, indeed!
Ah, the day...
I think Jack Brickhouse's main partner on those radio broadcasts was Vince Lloyd, not Lloyd Pettit. Pettit filled in sometimes but mostly worked the play-by-play on Blackhawk games. This was back in the day when some pro athletes had to have part-time jobs in the off season to make money (have times changed or what?). Billy Williams worked one winter selling cars at Bauer Buick in Harvey, Illinois. I worked in their mailroom at the same time.

If you watch WGN television now in the Chicago area, or on cable, you are probably familiar with their chief meteorologist, Tom Skilling. 40+ years ago, Tom (who was in HS then) and I both worked at the same radio station in the Chicago suburb of Aurora. Believe it or not, he had a flattop then.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I would have given my left nut to have any beer (to include Hamm's) on many a Sumerian summer day. 131 degrees and you're dry because the 30 mph winds make it seem like you're spending your time in a hair dryer.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
No. Baselines are found on baseball diamonds. Endlines are found on basketball courts.
And this is your biggest pet peeve among your partners? That they use a word that everyone understands but is not what is used in the rule book? I just find this so silly.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
And this is your biggest pet peeve among your partners? That they use a word that everyone understands but is not what is used in the rule book? I just find this so silly.
The word 'baseline' appears in 1-7-3.

I agree with your point, though.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

Awesome. Even better! Can we put that ridiculous concern to bed now?
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I agree with sentiment expressed by a few in this thread. I don't get bothered in the least about specific mechanics or terminology as long as communication is clear. That's for assignors and supervisors to worry about.

Only thing that bothers me is when people put $#!* in the game or go fishing for things......e.g:

calling violations that aren't there, calling fouls on marginal contact that don't affect the play, asking if a sleeve is for medical reasons, calling a T for a pre-game tap of the rim that nobody else in the gym saw.

One other thing that bothers me is officials who turn their back to the court during FT administration to talk to coaches. I've seen this recently with some younger guys who are trying to work on being more approachable/communication skills. When a veteran does this it irritates to me.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I agree with sentiment expressed by a few in this thread. I don't get bothered in the least about specific mechanics or terminology as long as communication is clear. That's for assignors and supervisors to worry about.

Only thing that bothers me is when people put $#!* in the game or go fishing for things......e.g:

calling violations that aren't there, calling fouls on marginal contact that don't affect the play, asking if a sleeve is for medical reasons, calling a T for a pre-game tap of the rim that nobody else in the gym saw.
My only quibble is in red. It must be regional/local/state differences, but here we ask. No documentation is required, but we ask.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

The smiley face is so appropriate, since "baseline" in 1-7-3 refers to the bottom border of the painted squareon the backboard and not to the endline on the floor . . .
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
The smiley face is so appropriate, since "baseline" in 1-7-3 refers to the bottom border of the painted squareon the backboard and not to the endline on the floor . . .
The horror of using that term in any other way then! How dare anyone!