The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
The smiley face is so appropriate, since "baseline" in 1-7-3 refers to the bottom border of the painted squareon the backboard and not to the endline on the floor . . .
Good! Just so.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Most of us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My only quibble is in red. It must be regional/local/state differences, but here we ask. No documentation is required, but we ask.
...accept that as a given when we ask the coach are his players legally equipped.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 11:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

One thing I will comment to my crew about is when the C is leaking down court in transition when there is pressure in the backcourt. Especially when the ball still hasn't even been thrown in yet. What's the hurry? You're leaving the Trail to officiate 4-6 players as well as the throw-in.

One I see on TV by older college officials is the C walking up the court looking back at A1 bring up the ball against B1 who his only applying token pressure, even though the trail is right there on the play. Guess the Lead is supposed to take care of the 8 other players.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Ohhh, also ad when another official refers to throw ins as "out of boundses"... Plural.

Gee Charlie, wee sure had a lot of out of boundses tonight.

This particular official may have more problems though. WHen discussing pca regarding closely.guarded counts in the top of the key area he said "I don't mind sharing it, if we have two counts going on at once we have a better chance of getting it right"...
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My only quibble is in red. It must be regional/local/state differences, but here we ask. No documentation is required, but we ask.
If that's the local rule/practice then one would be best to follow suit.

I'm just not in favor of asking what IMO, is a pointless question and encouraging kids to lie. Which is what I'd guess 90% of them are doing since it's a fashion/comfort thing not medical at all.

Around here, I've seen a few guys ask but see it less frequently than I did 3 years ago. When I see a guy walk over to a kid and say, "is that for medical reasons," it just seems to me that part of his focus is on the wrong things. And often, I find this plays out once the game begins as well.

But my real beef is with the Fed. I think they should just either allow the sleeves or not allow them. The medical reason bs is just that.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 10:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
But my real beef is with the Fed. I think they should just either allow the sleeves or not allow them. The medical reason bs is just that.
I agree with this. I have noticed a lot more long sleeve undershirts this year.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 10:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
...accept that as a given when we ask the coach are his players legally equipped.
Oh, you think the coaches actually take this question seriously?
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

My biggest pet peeve is when guys are on their phone from the time you pick them up to the game site. No effort to engage the crew or talk basketball. Often these car rides are the best "pregames" I have been part of.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 03:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
My biggest pet peeve is when guys are on their phone from the time you pick them up to the game site. No effort to engage the crew or talk basketball. Often these car rides are the best "pregames" I have been part of.
Once had a Crew Chief who talked on his phone the entire time me and U1 were getting dressed. Then when it was getting close to time to head out he tries to rush through a pregame while he finishes getting dressed. Well the problem was that the U1 was deaf and needed to read the CC lips but that was impossible for him to do since the CC was not sitting still and often completely turning away from the U1.

Needless to say the first thing the CC did at halftime was check his phone.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 05:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
[QUOTE=BadNewsRef;821202]Once had a Crew Chief who talked on his phone the entire time me and U1 were getting dressed. Then when it was getting close to time to head out he tries to rush through a pregame while he finishes getting dressed. Well the problem was that the U1 was deaf and needed to read the CC lips but that was impossible for him to do since the CC was not sitting still and often completely turning away from the U1.

Needless to say the first thing the CC did at halftime was check his phone.[/QUOTE]

Probably not the only calls he missed.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 06:10pm
Official & Member

[QUOTE=26 Year Gap;821236]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Probably not the only calls he missed.
Hah! Good one.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 06:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Had this guy...okay, he was THAT GUY...up in VT who was ALWAYS doing this kind of crap. One time, yes-he was late because it was his m.o.--as we are running out to the court, he STOPS IN THE TRAINER'S OFFICE TO USE HER PHONE TO MAKE A QUICK CALL!!!! Thankfully, the powers that be finally yanked his schedule and I think he may be doing wreck ball.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 07:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Probably Talking To His Mom ...

Quote:
Once had a Crew Chief who talked on his phone the entire time me and U1 were getting dressed. Needless to say the first thing the CC did at halftime was check his phone.
Had to be Tim Donaghy.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 07, 2012, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once had a Crew Chief who talked on his phone the entire time me and U1 were getting dressed. Then when it was getting close to time to head out he tries to rush through a pregame while he finishes getting dressed. Well the problem was that the U1 was deaf and needed to read the CC lips but that was impossible for him to do since the CC was not sitting still and often completely turning away from the U1.

Needless to say the first thing the CC did at halftime was check his phone.
Surprised it took so long for this one to come up. I have had this happen a handful of times this season and I absolutely hate it when guys get on their cell phones at halftime. Unless you're a surgeon or your wife is pregnant do you really need to check your phone at halftime.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2012, 12:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLundagard View Post
Surprised it took so long for this one to come up. I have had this happen a handful of times this season and I absolutely hate it when guys get on their cell phones at halftime. Unless you're a surgeon or your wife is pregnant do you really need to check your phone at halftime.
I'm attached to my iPhone, but I lock mine in the car during games along with my wallet. Even in the nicest school there could be thieves.