The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What are your pet peeves about other officials? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/87405-what-your-pet-peeves-about-other-officials.html)

Duffman Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16am

What are your pet peeves about other officials?

I don't want this to turn into a ***** fest, but what are some of your pet peeves about other officials. For me by far my biggest is the lead baseline official who is lazy about what side of the lane they put the ball in play on. One of my varsity partners does this and it literally drives me mad.

In order to save himself the trouble of taking 3 steps across the lane, he will initiate a throw in from whatever side he happened to be on when the violation occurred without regard for where the ball was or where the ball crossed the end line. I feel like we have guidelines and mechanics for a reason, and to completely ignore them to save yourself three steps is just maddening.

The variation of this (the same partner has this in his repertoire also) is player you stand over there hand motion I'll stay here and bounce it to you hand motion followed by administering the throw in from the other side of the line. It's even worse when we are going and I bust *** to get down to the baseline, only to turn around and find I've got to run all the way back to center because you don't want to take 3 steps. One of these days I'm going to refuse and just stay there.

I'm not one of these uber anal guys who are uptight about everything, and I believe there is a time and place for almost everything. The time and place for this is for rec men's league, or during a 6 game stretch of youth ball in a tournament, NOT at a varsity DH when our local association has sent folks out to evaluate us!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :mad:

/rant

deecee Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:27am

I dont care what side of the lane line they put the ball in play on. That's way down on my list. Not knowing the rules, being stubborn when I am trying to help and you think you have to be right, and partners that have 10 other places they would rather be than on the game they have are way more frustrating and tough to work with.

I cannot work with stupidity, but I can work with a competent official who might just be a bit lazy about certain administrative requirements like bouncing the ball to an inbounder or across the lane on endline throw ins. Not ideal, but it doesn't make my blood boil.

refiator Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:31am

Mine is calling it the "Baseline" instead of the "Endline". :)

Duffman Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 819642)
I dont care what side of the lane line they put the ball in play on. That's way down on my list. Not knowing the rules, being stubborn when I am trying to help and you think you have to be right, and partners that have 10 other places they would rather be than on the game they have are way more frustrating and tough to work with.

I cannot work with stupidity, but I can work with a competent official who might just be a bit lazy about certain administrative requirements like bouncing the ball to an inbounder or across the lane on endline throw ins. Not ideal, but it doesn't make my blood boil.

Fair enough but those things you mentioned are a little too serious to be considered pet peeves.

If my wife passes gas like she's a trucker while in bed that might be a pet peeve.

If she's shooting sweet Mexican black tar heroine in bed that's a whole different matter all together.

Duffman Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 819647)

Awesome. Guess it's obvious I played for 14 years and have been officiating for 3. :D

BktBallRef Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:33am

Officials who ask stupid questions when the answers can be so easily found in the rule or case book.

Duffman Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 819650)
Officials who ask stupid questions when the answers can be so easily found in the rule or case book.

Meh, this doesn't bother me much. In some spots the rule book reads worse than poorly translated Chinese furniture assembly instructions.

Some people learn better through discussion, at least they show interest in learning and getting better as an official, there are far worse crimes.

JRutledge Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:44am

While working with guys I really have very little I get upset by. I can adjust to anyone that I work with if they do something quirky or not completely correct. All I really ask is that you communicate with me and let me know what is going on from your mechanics or what you called. Other than that I can adjust to just about anything and have in my career. Most of the time it is only one game, so I do not get that upset about those kinds of things.

Peace

Adam Fri Feb 03, 2012 01:58am

Guys who misuse the words "literally" and "myself."

Oh, you meant on the court?

asdf Fri Feb 03, 2012 06:49am

Young officials who demonstrate a lack of rules knowledge, but want to complain about other officials' lack of the same.

Bad Zebra Fri Feb 03, 2012 06:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 819648)
Fair enough but those things you mentioned are a little too serious to be considered pet peeves.

If my wife passes gas like she's a trucker while in bed that might be a pet peeve.

If she's shooting sweet Mexican black tar heroine in bed that's a whole different matter all together.

Umm..wow. That's one disturbing analogy. Issues?

BillyMac Fri Feb 03, 2012 07:27am

Communication, Communication, Communication ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 819655)
All I really ask is that you communicate with me and let me know what is going on from your mechanics or what you called.

Bingo.

Duffman Fri Feb 03, 2012 08:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 819678)

Oh, you meant on the court?

Tough room.

Smitty Fri Feb 03, 2012 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 819647)

The smiley means you're kidding, right?

Scrapper1 Fri Feb 03, 2012 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 819678)

Thank you for not making me say it :D