The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Pet Peeves..........

One of my biggest as an umpire is when I am ump'ing a game and one of the teams playing has a "fellow umpire" on it---and they make every attempt to do stuff they know is illegal or to make you think you've made the wrong call and don't know the rules.

grrrr......

"It is useful to look back and to look forward as well. Always remember, though, that now is where you are, and now is when you can make a difference." Ralph Marston

Special Olympic Athlete's Oath:
"Let me win. But if I can not win, let me be brave in the attempt."
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Added pev

As an umpire. I attend my daughters games as a fan or sometimes a score-keeper and I see umpires who THINK they do know the rules.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

My pet peeve: Partner allows 15-20 warmup pitches, 3-4 minutes, chatting with someone outside the fence.

That or coaches that yell time and start walking toward their pitcher, not waiting for me to call TIME, before play has completely stopped.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
As an umpire. I attend my daughters games as a fan or sometimes a score-keeper and I see umpires who THINK they do know the rules.
Yes---this is tough to watch. I have several times gone to "said umpires" after the game with my rule book in hand and show them the actual rule. Only one time did they not appreciate it. I do not do it during a game because I feel that would be very uncouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
My pet peeve: Partner allows 15-20 warmup pitches, 3-4 minutes, chatting with someone outside the fence.

That or coaches that yell time and start walking toward their pitcher, not waiting for me to call TIME, before play has completely stopped.
Yes.......I give about 4 in the very first inning and after that they get one. I mean they've already thrown a bunch --- it isn't going to get better. lol

"It is useful to look back and to look forward as well. Always remember, though, that now is where you are, and now is when you can make a difference." Ralph Marston

Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Let alone the talking to outside the fence visitors. How about the partner that tries to be the funny, buddy-buddy with both the the coaches before, between and during the innings because everyone knows he's going to screw something up....including himself and hopes his fake "I'm your pal" attitude will save him.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Let alone the talking to outside the fence visitors. How about the partner that tries to be the funny, buddy-buddy with both the the coaches before, between and during the innings because everyone knows he's going to screw something up....including himself and hopes his fake "I'm your pal" attitude will save him.
This......

I admit it is hard for me as I have played ball at the complex that I now umpire at for about 15 years now. I know, have played with and/or against most of the players that come there for games. I make every attempt though to keep it "professional" when I am in my umpire attire.

I did get a compliment last night.....an older gentleman on one of the church teams games I had told me I had the most consistent ball/strike zone and hustled more than any umpire they'd had so far this season. (I did make sure last night wasn't their first game. lol)

Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I'm the BU and I watch my partner ignore EVERY one of the "administrative" rules.

I will talk to them when given a chance and will hear them say "Well I don't enforce those nit picky rules".

I try not to work with that person again.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
I'm the BU and I watch my partner ignore EVERY one of the "administrative" rules.

I will talk to them when given a chance and will hear them say "Well I don't enforce those nit picky rules".

I try not to work with that person again.
"nit picky rules" ............ one more reason umpires in general get bad raps......

Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 12:05pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf24 View Post
"nit picky rules" ............ one more reason umpires in general get bad raps......
Thank you for hitting my pet peeve. Umpires that refuse to enforce the rules and make it harder on me for doing so.

Last edited by Welpe; Tue Jun 15, 2010 at 02:56pm.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Thank you for hitting my pet peeve. Umpires that refuse the enforce the rules and make it harder on me for doing so.
Yes. I dislike it when the, "none of the others make us do that...." card gets played.

Oh and how many of you get the "it's a vicinity play" thrown at ya??

Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

My biggest pet peeve: People that don't know the difference between "their", "there" and "they're".
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

How about coaches who argue calls for the simple SAKE of arguing a call, knowing full and damn well that the right call was made?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 15, 2010, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Strike Zone

In SP, hearing the coach or pitcher say, They really need to chalk that line in front of the batter's box, so Blue knows where the Strike Zone is!

Blue, that was a foot behind the line!

Inside, I snicker...
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
My biggest pet peeve: People that don't know the difference between "their", "there" and "they're".
Well, their you go.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

When their misusing they're words, there points often become mute.