The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

As Steve mention in earlier post the time is almost here again. Actually in our slow pitch leagues games start Feb. 25th and as mention fast pitch classes have started though season for reg league wont begin till April

So I thought I would bring up this discussion "Partner Peeves" just a few thing that kinda get your goat sometimes. Just thought I would mention a few to get your opinions if I am being too picky and hopefully get some other peeves from you guys to make sure I am not doing some thing that I shouldnt be.

1. Working with a partner that never shows up at the ballfield till 30 sec or later before game is schedule to start. First this kills about any chance for pre-games between you and your partner. Second I think it send a bad message to the teams you are calling that you really dont care about there game. Usally even in slow-pitch this forces the ump that is there on time to call the plate which I really dont mind myself I prefer the plate to the field but it really doent gave you a chance to be prepared properly for the game. My practice I am usally at the ballfield 30 min before game time and on the field I am calling at least 15 before game time

2. I dont know about others but we have too many umps that have not bought a new hat or shirt I think since 1980 and it just looks bad. I believe this is probably why ASA changes uniforms standards and colors every couple of years for tournaments it kinda mandates you keep your uniform upto date and looking good but in reg. leagues the umps that have no desires to do tournaments there seems to be no requirements on this

3. Umps that all ways seem to come out to the fields with a chip on there shoulder. I know we all sometimes have bad days and for some reason may not be in the greatest of moods. But I think we have all seen those umps that just no longer to seem to enjoy being out on the field and being part of the game and the chip is usally easily pick up by the players in the game and seem to carry over to them alot of time a little humor can relax a stressful situation

4. Last one but not least and this has only happen to me once but never overrule your partner judgement call without request for help. Had this happen to me this year with a partner that before this I always enjoyed working with but after the friction was always there.

Okay there are the main partner peeves that I can think of right now. So tell me what some of yours might be and of you think on any of the above I need to as they say just chill out

Don
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Don,
Absolutely go along with 1, 2, & 3, but have never run into #4.

I like to arrive early enough to walk a field, introduce myself to the coaches - those that don't know me anyway - and then let them know I'll be going back to the van (dressing room) to get ready. Way too many partners do just what you said - come so lae that I've got the plate and the only pre-game is walking to the field. Like you & most others, I prefer the plate.

We've got a guy in our association who is a good ump in every way except appearance & hygene. Mechanics, willingness, and every other area are really good. Uniform is always looking like it was wadded up in a closet since the last time he wore it. And he walks onto he field smelling kinda like I do after my sixth game of the day in 90degree heat with 90% humidity. I've got bald spots above my ears and a flat spot on my forehead from trying to talk to him about appearance.

I don't see too many guys with a chip on their shoulder. More often, I see folks who can't quite mange to not escalate a problem discussion with a coach. Way too much reactionary stuff from the ump and not enough of managing the sitation. This probably isn't put the best way, but I think most can figure out what I meant by that.

I'll add this to the list - partners who allow a team to gang up on their partner when a team is "calmly asking for an explanation for the basis of that last call." I try to work with a large number of new or inexperienced umps during the season. Any time my partner is involved in such a discussion, I will go interrupt with the statement "Excuse me, this needs to be a one on one discussion. Would all of you, except the had coach step away from this so my partner can continue the discussion with your head coach." So many of these partners have told me that no other partner has ever done that for them. From an experienced ump dealing with training and recruitment and all that - this is a real per peeve.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Don,

Didn't I hear [rather-read] that you were going to start
NFHS this year? They can officially start scrimmaging on
Monday. Then starting on the 11th, its "Katie - bar the
door" Unforunatelly, I still have not been released by
doctor until they finish the MRI's. Having herniated -
possibly ruptured disc problems. Did not realize that
those little *buggers* could be so painful. Our association
has already scheduled for all of Feb. and 1st week of March.
Hopefully I will get to kick in sometime around then.
I agree with all your "Partner Peeves" and have also had a
#4 happen. It does make for hard feelings. BUTT nr. 3 is
one I have been seeing more and more of. " Wonder which coach/
player I will get to eject tonite?" etc, etc. Yeah,
we have those also.

Good Luck,
glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Glen

Decided this year to start with just the reg league play and some local tournament ball if I get here in fast-pitch through ASA if everything goes well next year I will consider doing NFHS. Sorry to hear about your back problems I too have had some back problems over the past and know what a b1tch(had to edit so they wont #### it) they can be. Hope you get it well soon so you can get back on the field

Take it easy

Don
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Don.........you hit on one of my #1 pet peeves........Partners who do not show up on time.........I always try to be at the fields 30 minutes early......

I rarlely (if ever) am not the first umpire there..........

As for #4.........I once overruled a rookie partner (he misapplied the lookback rule) in a tournament we use to train our new umpires........

After some discussion here..........I would handle it differently.........making mistakes and learning how to deal with them is part of the learning process of umpiring.

I will however, remind all rookie partners that if they are unsure of a ruling or if a coach asks them a rule question and they don't know the answer.........DO NOT make something up........ask their partner for help.........had that happen last year......made for a long game when the coach found out that my partner was wrong on a ruling......

Joel

Joel
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked with all those types, including #4. This ump in HS varsity games (a female) took it upon herself in one game (she always had the plate), when as soon as I called out the batter/runner at first, to come charging out, hollering, "safe, she dropped the ball", before an appeal was made. Another time, there were four boys watching the game, doing some nice cheers, when she had them stop. They were getting into the spirit of fun and weren't being obnoxious or vulgar. The third time, and the last (I told the assignor I wouldn't work with her again), the home school (Hollywood High) plays their games at a nearby public park. A rather large man (picture NFL lineman) goes up to the top row of the bleachers with a can of beer. She screams at him to leave. He was just sitting there, quietly, watching. I'm the only male on the field, and figure I've got to stop him if he goes after her. Luckily, he left, shaking his head. The next morning, I called the assignor and requested not to work with her again.

When I worked with the other three types, I also called the assignor and politely told him/her what the problem was, and to not assign me with them again. It's difficult to work with someone who gets you into trouble, and you can't tell the coaches to ignore it.

Bob
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Yep Bob my #4 was very similiar to yours it was on a swipe tag play at 2nd I was the BU in proper position and called the "out" I was going back into postition with no protest or ask for appeal from the coach or the runner the PU overruled my call and said the runner was safe. I also know the runner that I called out and still believe the tag got him was a personal friend of the PU and yes I was steamed...

Joel in your situation I really dont see where you did anything wrong if it was in training situation and a rookie blew a "rule call" I believe you should of corrected the situation before the game continued

Have a good one

Don
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Don,

I had a #1 show up on me at a game as I'm doing the pregame meeting with the coaches, and to top it off, he's dressed for the plate too!! Now, I will confess that our assignor assigned him to do the plate and me to do the field, but I waited until the very last minute for him to show up in the parking lot before I got geared up and walked down to the field. In fact I showed up at the field just 5 minutes before game time, although I had spoken with the home team coach in the parking lot when I arrived (~30 min. early), so he knew I was there.

Here's my question for you guys. If you were faced with that situation, would you give up the plate of make the Johnny-come-lately give it up?

--SamC
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Exclamation

I agree with and have had #1-#4 in my years of umpiring. But, I thought of one more that's my pet peeve---the umpire who has 'rabbit ears'. That is he hears everything and everybody from Dad in the stands, to coaches mumbling under their breath, to the player fussing in the dugout. He then proceeds to be the World's Manager and tells them to shut up or he'll toss them--in other words, he has on the blue shirt so HE'S IN CHARGE, and wants to make everyone kowtow to him.
Very unprofessional!!!

As far as dirty, wrinkled uniforms--- I had a fellow on my crew at the 16U ASA National here in Georgia in 1999 that brought only 1 hat with him from home and it was dirty! Pants were not creased, shirts barely pressed. The other 5 of us on the crew were appalled!! I had 6 or 7 hats, all clean, (1 new one in case I had the final), so I loaned him 1 of my combos. Then we had to direct him nearly every step of the way in 3 man mechanics. We called him Wrong Way Bob.
Yes, his name was Bob, and we called him Wrong Way after the
character from Gilligan's Island and the fact that he always
went the wrong way. Guess what? When he didn't get any games late Saturday (duh) and of course none on Sunday, he went home and took my hat with him. He didn't even stay for the party. What a goof ball! Imagine what his evaluation looked like from the UIC. "Don't ever send him to another National", maybe? He was undoubtably one of the worst partners I've ever had.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Sam

On your question it would depend since I dont have a lot of senority, if the other ump was a vet and had not done this to me often I would probably take my gear off and let him have it if he wanted the plate. If it was a rookie ump or an ump that had done this to me in the past I would probably stand my ground and tell them to get ready they have the field

JMO

Don
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Thumbs down

Sam,

I wouldn't let anyone rookie or vet take the plate if he/she showed at pre-game conference. You waited on them until the last minute, so he/she can strip off the plate gear and put it the end of the dugout or with the scorekeeper and hit the field, period!!

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa

Here's my question for you guys. If you were faced with that situation, would you give up the plate of make the Johnny-come-lately give it up?

--SamC
[/B]
Sam,
Johnny-come-lately would be doing some bases.
I agree with Elaine, no vet nor rookie taking
that plate now that conference has started.
He better get new car, watch, wake up person,
or better driving directions.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Just thought of another "Pet Peeve" that really gets my goat and that is a partner that doesnt signal back to me during the game. Such as outs and IF situations on & off. Last year was working the National tourney for SPA and I couldnt believe the number of umps that would just look at me when I would signal this drove me batty. I always signal when anything has change or if there has been several plays even though nothing may have change in the # of outs.

What rule do you guys follow on giving out signals between plays

Just venting

Don
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Don,

If PU, I signal IFF, possible time plays, and coverage.

If BU, I echo all signals that I get.

SamC
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Don........like Sam........I signal IF ON.........IF OFF.......I like for my partner to respond to the # of outs.............

There are a few partners that I work with that we remind each other of Time Play situations........but that is not a common practice in ASA around here..........and 90% of the umpires do not practice it.........I prefer NOT to communicate time play coverage...........hoping that my partner knows the situation......

As BU.........I always signal back coverages from PU.......

For the last couple of years.......I have mostly worked older age groups........but have many of my games with rookie partners to help them in their training...........

I always try and work with them on communicating with their partners.........and reminding them that it can help them to remember their responsibilies.......

Joel