The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebo2526 View Post
On this subject, what if a player claps his hands together after missing a shot and says "damn", obviously frustrated with himself. No hears it but the referee he's running beside back down the court? Isn't that a little much or would you T him up as well. Just curious, cause it happened.
Judgment.

In some areas, at some ages, to some referees, this would be profanity.

In other areas, at other ages, to other referees, a loud MF (to the ball, basket, self) would not be profanity.

In most areas, to most referees, the line is somewhere in the middle (and might depend on what else has happened that night).
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On this subject, what if a player claps his hands together after missing a shot and says "damn", obviously frustrated with himself. No hears it but the referee he's running beside back down the court? Isn't that a little much or would you T him up as well. Just curious, cause it happened.
As described, this is completely ignored by me.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Judgment.

In other areas, at other ages, to other referees, a loud MF (to the ball, basket, self) would not be profanity.

In most areas, to most referees, the line is somewhere in the middle (and might depend on what else has happened that night).
Agreed as well. If it's a varsity game, 99.9% of the time I don't even bat an eye. Only if the player has been a turd and it needs to be addressed. That would be rare though.

If it's a middle school game, which I don't even do anymore, I might say something to the player and remind him to watch his language.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Judgment.

HS Boy's Varsity, blow-out game, kid hit 4 in a row and missed the 5th. Had no bearing on the game and wasn't a big issue. I just thought it was a little over the top. Explanation given to the coach was exactly what I said. No big deal, but I've heard worse and nobody heard this......
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
HS Boy's Varsity, blow-out game, kid hit 4 in a row and missed the 5th. Had no bearing on the game and wasn't a big issue. I just thought it was a little over the top. Explanation given to the coach was exactly what I said. No big deal, but I've heard worse and nobody heard this......
If no one else heard it, and "damn" was all he said, I wouldn't consider it anywhere close to over the top, and I wouldn't feel like the coach needed an explanation. Just my two cents...
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
If no one else heard it, and "damn" was all he said, I wouldn't consider it anywhere close to over the top, and I wouldn't feel like the coach needed an explanation. Just my two cents...
I meant I thought the call was over the top.

I think they at least need to fill people in on why the call was made. If not, you got a 17 year old kid explaining how he "didn't say anything!!!!". Just sayin
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I meant I thought the call was over the top.

I think they at least need to fill people in on why the call was made. If not, you got a 17 year old kid explaining how he "didn't say anything!!!!". Just sayin
Oh, they called this. In that case, explain to the player and coach that they're always better off not giving us a decision to make.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Oh, they called this. In that case, explain to the player and coach that they're always better off not giving us a decision to make.
That is true
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 12:03pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
As you gain experience you will come to understand that as long as they're keeping score in a competitive setting & once the clock reads triple zeros, we will have a winner & a loser. Half of the people involved (coaches/players/fans) will not like your call half of the time.

You will either accept this or continue to let it bother you. Remember, our appearance, signals & court presence are what commands respect long before we blow our whistle. Our attitude toward pushback should be, "what I do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say."

We cannot control the respect of fans, but improving our call accuracy will lead to credibility & if we're lucky, everything else falls into place.
Stealing some of this for my pre-game.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Its all recycled.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why did you think that?
I thought rebounding your own airball was legal (4.44 Sit. B). I read the sentence by fiasco, "A myth is something people think is true but really is not, like being able to catch your own airball.", as people think it's true that you are able to catch your own airball but it's not. I just interpreted the sentence differently. I had a long discussion with a parent of one of the VB players last week about this and had to show him the case play before he would believe me.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 04:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperRef View Post
I thought rebounding your own airball was legal (4.44 Sit. B). I read the sentence by fiasco, "A myth is something people think is true but really is not, like being able to catch your own airball.", as people think it's true that you are able to catch your own airball but it's not. I just interpreted the sentence differently. I had a long discussion with a parent of one of the VB players last week about this and had to show him the case play before he would believe me.
You're right. I mis-read your post. Catching your own airball is legal and it's a myth that you can't. But that's one rule I think fans are starting to learn. I'm starting to see instances where it happens and no moans come from the crowd.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 04:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You're right. I mis-read your post. Catching your own airball is legal and it's a myth that you can't. But that's one rule I think fans are starting to learn. I'm starting to see instances where it happens and no moans come from the crowd.
Next step: high dribble.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 04:53pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Next step: high dribble.
That's what we need: A good ol' myth checklist.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 05:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
That's what we need: A good ol' myth checklist.
I hope you forgot a smiley. Otherwise the next 2 pages will be dominated by a certain official from Connecticutt.