The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:29am
Back from the DL

My New #1 Myth

For a few years, I've maintained a personal list of basketball's biggest rules myths. The existence of "over the back" has always topped my list, but I may have something to top it. I'd like some thoughts.

Varsity boys today (not working, I was a spectator): V down 2 points in the closing seconds. Shot is missed, put back is missed, H called for pushing foul, V will shoot two with :01 left. H-22 says F.U. (not sure to whom, some say an official, but I can't confirm that) and earns a T. Clear the lane, we're shooting four.

The first two free throws for V are missed. However, both technical free throws are nailed (different shooter). We got to overtime, where V eventually wins a 65-63 thriller on a buzzer beater.

Of course, some H fans say about the technical, "you don't make that call at that point in the game." Granted, there is significant emotion talking, and perhaps they didn't know what V-22 said, but I still find this to be a very common myth, even when you don't have a horse in the race, so I think it's more than just sour grapes talking. What's more, I find this myth to be a more damaging than most, because it's predicated upon the belief that the officials somehow take away games from the players, as opposed to enforcing the rules and their penalties, as we're obligated.

You don't hear this cry from fans nearly as much in football, when there's a pass interference penalty in the last minute. I could draw parallels to other sports, but the bottom line is this myth seems to exist mostly in basketball. Am I off base with this?

I've been taught that time and score are irrelevant to the enforcement of the rules. I'm curious why so many others think the opposite, when it's expected that way in other sports.

Last edited by bainsey; Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 12:31am.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

I don't think it's so much a myth as just sour grapes.

A myth is something people think is true but really is not, like being able to catch your own airball.

This is just someone's opinion about when to call a technical foul or not.

And, yes, I'd still call the T.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

With me, it depends on how loud it was. If it's "under his breath" I will likely pass, but speak to him. If it's loud enough for all to hear, no choice..."T".
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
For a few years, I've maintained a personal list of basketball's biggest rules myths. The existence of "over the back" has always topped my list, but I may have something to top it. I'd like some thoughts.

Varsity boys today (not working, I was a spectator): V down 2 points in the closing seconds. Shot is missed, put back is missed, H called for pushing foul, V will shoot two with :01 left. H-22 says F.U. (not sure to whom, some say an official, but I can't confirm that) and earns a T. Clear the lane, we're shooting four.

The first two free throws for V are missed. However, both technical free throws are nailed (different shooter). We got to overtime, where V eventually wins a 65-63 thriller on a buzzer beater.

Of course, some H fans say about the technical, "you don't make that call at that point in the game." Granted, there is significant emotion talking, and perhaps they didn't know what V-22 said, but I still find this to be a very common myth, even when you don't have a horse in the race, so I think it's more than just sour grapes talking. What's more, I find this myth to be a more damaging than most, because it's predicated upon the belief that the officials somehow take away games from the players, as opposed to enforcing the rules and their penalties, as we're obligated.

You don't hear this cry from fans nearly as much in football, when there's a pass interference penalty in the last minute. I could draw parallels to other sports, but the bottom line is this myth seems to exist mostly in basketball. Am I off base with this?

I've been taught that time and score are irrelevant to the enforcement of the rules. I'm curious why so many others think the opposite, when it's expected that way in other sports.
Lot of it stems from "let the players decide the game" mantra. They forget that we call things based on what the players do.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nine years later, and this Buckeye still has to listen to people from Coral Gables complain about a pass interference call that "was late" and "shouldn't be made at that point in the game." So yes, you're off base.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

Was listening to the V show on the radio tonight and Bob touched on this point as he was discussing the lack of a goaltending call near the end of the Syracuse/W.VA game.
He said that officials don't decide the games rather the players do when they foul at that time. He also said that the only way to officiate was to work each play from the start to the finish without regard to the time left or the score.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 06:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Point Game, Twelve Seconds Left ...

Quote:
"You don't make that call at that point in the game." It's predicated upon the belief that the officials somehow take away games from the players, as opposed to enforcing the rules and their penalties, as we're obligated. I've been taught that time and score are irrelevant to the enforcement of the rules. I'm curious why so many others think the opposite, when it's expected that way in other sports.
I had absolutely no problem making this call. No question in my mind. None:

Technical Fouls
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 07:08am.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 07:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

From The Files Of The Mythbusters ...

Officials are on the court to be the only unbiased arbiters of the game. Officials are not concerned with who wins or loses, but only fairness and safety. Everyone else in that gym cares about winning, and therefore cannot look at the game objectively. Players commit fouls and violations; officials view those infractions, judge the action, and then apply the rules of the game to what they had viewed. The rules then determine the penalty.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes. See 2003 Feista Bowl.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I don't think it's so much a myth as just sour grapes.

A myth is something people think is true but really is not, like being able to catch your own airball.

This is just someone's opinion about when to call a technical foul or not.

And, yes, I'd still call the T.

Did I miss something here? I thought catching your own airball was legal (NFHS).
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 02:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Move Along Everybody, Nothing To See Here, The Mythbusters Are On The Case ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperRef View Post
Did I miss something here? I thought catching your own airball was legal.
Which is why it's just a myth that it isn't legal.

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point.

Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Which is why it's just a myth that it isn't legal.

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point.
I was in T in 2-whistle game the other night and partner calls a travel due to a "self-pass". I told him what I saw on the play, and he understood.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 04:39pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Nine years later, and this Buckeye still has to listen to people from Coral Gables complain about a pass interference call that "was late" and "shouldn't be made at that point in the game."
Miami fans have more to complain about regarding the contact that took place AFTER the receiver first touched the ball. They don't even need to play the "late flag" card.

Anyway, that's one example from football. I still hear this significantly more in basketball. Maybe it doesn't really matter, though. A myth is a myth, and this one is a big one.

I think Sniper nails it. Some believe that, if an official blows his whistle late in the game, regardless of the reason, he's interjecting himself into the game. We all know better.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 06:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperRef View Post
Did I miss something here? I thought catching your own airball was legal (NFHS).
Why did you think that?
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
With me, it depends on how loud it was. If it's "under his breath" I will likely pass, but speak to him. If it's loud enough for all to hear, no choice..."T".
Depends how loud it was? Volume has got nothing to do with it. A player directs an f**k y*u to me it's a T....whether or not anyone else heard him.