The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Question Rule Myth, please help.

Hi,

In my country we only have amateur baseball and many of the rules that I learned through playing have been rubbish. I've learned that coaches invent or twist rules to make them suit their particular situation. Now I've been umpiring for a couple of years and straightened out most the stuff like: The hands are part of the bat, the batting box belongs to the batter etc.

But here is another I'm trying to sort out.

I've been told numerous times that a runner must stop to avoid a batted ball. He can't jump over the ball or run passed in front of a fielder fielding a batted ball. If he doesn't stop and the fielder makes an error on the batted ball the runner could be out for interference. If the defense however does make an out the interference falls away. So it is a delayed dead ball situation like a balk.

I think this is possibly a myth heading towards legend because I saw this play and nothing was called: Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | SEA@LAD: Beltre's base knock puts the M's up by two - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I can't seem to find this in the actual rules. I've read through rule 7 twice. Could anyone direct me to the Rule No or give me rule references that this could possibly be inferred from or SQUASH the myth?

Thanks
SAWolf
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

See 7.08 (b) and (f)

There is no rule requiring a runner to "stop" under any circumstances.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWolf View Post
I can't seem to find this in the actual rules. I've read through rule 7 twice. Could anyone direct me to the Rule No or give me rule references that this could possibly be inferred from or SQUASH the myth?

Thanks
SAWolf
If the runner stops, and lets the ball go in fornt of him, then the runner was *avoiding* being hit by the ball. Legal play.

If the runner keeps moving forward and jumps over the ball, then the runner was attempting to advance. Legal play.

If the runner stops, and then moves at the last instant so the ball goe behind him, then the runner was intentionally screening the fielder. Interference.

If the runner backs up, does a little dance, then continues to move forward, the runner was intentionally screening the fielder. Interference.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 07:49am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWolf View Post
In my country we only have amateur baseball and many of the rules that I learned through playing have been rubbish. I've learned that coaches invent or twist rules to make them suit their particular situation.
I don't know what country you're in......but, thank goodness this doesn't happen in the USA!