The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 02:07pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I'm sorry, but I think that idea places you in a worse position.
That's how I've been taught to officiate such a play as well. The important part of this is that by stopping, you give yourself a steady view of the play.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Fpg?

Quote:
I'm assuming fpg is fouls per game of course, but is this stat the total fouls per game that, even though given as an individual stat, is actually the total fouls per CREW, in games he was on?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 02:14pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I'm assuming fpg is fouls per game of course, but is this stat the total fouls per game that, even though given as an individual stat, is actually the total fouls per CREW, in games he was on?
I have no idea; I didn't really look at any stats, nor do I intend to. The link just proves that BLydic is correct.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 02:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think many just default to penalizing the defense, like in this play. I default to penalizing the offense and most of the time I am right.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My point exactly. It was so obvious, I can't imagine why this is a block.
If you look at the first part of the clip, the portion that is in real time, you'll see the lead motion to the head coach that he had the defender sliding.

Now I personally have a charge as well on the play. I actually think the lead had a pretty good look at the play as at the time of contact he has no bodies between him and he has a decent look between the ball handler and defender.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 03:04pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I actually think the lead had a pretty good look at the play as at the time of contact he has no bodies between him and he has a decent look between the ball handler and defender.
Then why would he call it a block?

I think that he never looked at the defender - he got beat, was running, and turned his head and watched the ball handler the entire way. He never looked to see where the defender was...jmo.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post

I think that he never looked at the defender - he got beat, was running, and turned his head and watched the ball handler the entire way. He never looked to see where the defender was...jmo.
I think he called a block, cause for whatever reason, he had the defender sliding in late. Look at the calling official right after he signals block. You can see the coach ask why it was (and since this is in the first half, we know for a fact it's the Indiana coach) and we see the official do a side step/slide to the right.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post

Not saying you're wrong but that's pretty basic stuff to watch the defender. At this level, that's a given.

Based on his telling coach that defender slid, I'm saying he may have focused too much on defender if that's possible. If you notice at last split second, defender slides right. As an IU fan, definitely PC
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 03:35pm
(Something hilarious)

This one looks easier to call than the MSU-UNC call that APG posted here. I'd go player control. Seems to me though, from the majority of games I watch at that level, that these close ones are usually called blocks. And to be fair, they're often pretty difficult without slowing them down.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 04:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I think he called a block, cause for whatever reason, he had the defender sliding in late. Look at the calling official right after he signals block. You can see the coach ask why it was (and since this is in the first half, we know for a fact it's the Indiana coach) and we see the official do a side step/slide to the right.
Changing my stance here a little...I think he did look at the defender, but he picked him up really, really late. And that's why he did the big slide move when the coach asked him what happened.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 11:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Without reading anyone else's responses. A1 travelled before starting his dribble. And then he committed a PC foul.

And not only did B1 get an initial LGP he also slid and got 2 feet down before A1 went airborne.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 17, 2012 at 11:25pm.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 11:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Without reading anyone else's responses. A1 travelled before starting his dribble. And then he committed a PC foul.

And not only did B1 get an initial LGP he also slid and got 2 feet down before A1 went airborne.
I wouldn't expect that travel to ever get called real-time.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Either would I

Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 11:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Quote:
Either would I
Maybe, maybe not. That portion of video is only shown in real-time and I noticed it. The slow-motion replays start after the travel. But it makes the incorrect call on the block even worse when reviewing the tape that A1 also got away with a travel.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 17, 2012 at 11:52pm.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 01:32am
Archaic Power Monger

Good pickup on the travel. Traveling on these types of plays is still something I'm struggling to judge correctly.