The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I've been reading the Arena Football Rule Book for 2003, and it's laid out quite differently than the NFHS book is. Would those of you who've worked NCAA and NFL games, and read their rule books tell me how their respective books are arranged? Are they set up the same as the NFHS book?

Thanks...... The OZ!!
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Click on this NCAA Link and check it out.
http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

I have an NFL rule book (2001) and the biggest difference I see are all the notes and addendums are right there with the rule cited. And there's a whole lot more of them!

I try not to read it too much during high school season because it might screw me up, but its hard to resist when I see something happen during the game that makes me wonder. Its hard to go right to the section you think the rule will be in - just like the NFHS was until I got used to it.

Are you going to work AFL or AF2?
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation I wish....

The closest AFL team is San Jose, 700 miles away. Denver is close to 1200. Someday, maybe. I was sent a copy of the AFL 2003 rulebook, and after reading thru it, I realized it needs to be editted.... There are many rules that are stated in one area, and then stated again a page later. Someone needs to go thru the book and just simply edit it. I've done editing of Training Manuals thru my job with Georgia Pacific, and I could edit it, but my only experience with a rulebook is the NFHS. I'd like to look at several others to see how they're laid out.

It would make sense to me if all football rulebooks, NFHS, NCAA, AFL, and NFL were laid out the same. I would guess that all officials start out in the NFHS, and the others would just build on that...??
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

If you start out in high school ball in Texas or Mass, you start with the NCAA book.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Can I get a copy of that rule book, the Arena Football one? I have a team in the area this year and would like to see how it is set up. email to [email protected] if you have it electronically.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 04:31pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Where can I get a copy of the Arena Football rule book? I'm working some games for a semipro team that claims some of their rules are similar, with some college and high school stuff mixed in. So, I've been busting my brains re-reading my NFHS books, plus bought the NCAA book and started reading it over a bit.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

"I'm working some games for a semipro team that claims some of their rules are similar, with some college and high school stuff mixed in."

Now THAT sounds like alot of fun!
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

For another online rulebook, the Canadian rules are found under

http://www.cfl.ca/CFLRulebook/home.html
Unfortunately not in a printable format, but the structure is basically the same as the printed book.

I know the German American Football Leauge rule book is based on the NCAA, the setup is also the same, they just make changes where needed. I think the British American Football Leauge is also NCAA with a few changes, but you can look at it at
http://www.bafra.org/index2.htm

James
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dommer1
"I'm working some games for a semipro team that claims some of their rules are similar, with some college and high school stuff mixed in."

Now THAT sounds like alot of fun!
Some of the Semipro teams (NAFL) use a hybrid of NFL and NCAA rules. Good luck!

Our uses NCAA with a few NFL exceptions such as down by contact, 5 yd chuck rule, etc.

The world would be a better place if there was only one rule code!

Or, let's use the Canadian CFL rules for kicking, NFHS rules for the passing game, NCAA for runs, and NFL for penalty enforcement. Oh, and don't forget BAFRA stuff for dead ball periods. Yikes, someone might take this seriously.