The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody else get this request

I received a letter from one of the school districts I work for stating that all officials are going to be paid by direct deposit.

To do this direct deposit they need my address, SSN and banking information. I understand the benefits to the school district of eliminating checks but I am not sure I am comfortable with them having all of this information. I do not know what sort of security controls they have in place and they make no mention of any controls in the letter.

Am I off base with my concerns? And has anybody seen this type of payment situation before.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 06:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Never heard of that from an officiating standpoint, but I know that my district has used the direct deposit to pay the employees for years. I have used it for at least 10 years and have never had a single problem. Lots of employers use that type of banking - not sure why it would concern you that much. Simply call the financial office of the district and ask them your questions - they will be able to answer all of your concerns.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

I guess the only concern is that your info gets spread around to far more places...perhaps each district. And, if there is a security breach, the odds of your info being compromised is increased by the number of places that have the info.

That said, the school districts often handle millions of dollars of payroll as it is. The addition of your info to their existing database will not make it any less safe than it was for all the teachers and staff that alreay use it.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know why they need your SSN. All they should need is your bank account number and routing number. I would wonder about them considering you an employee and taking taxes out of the paycheck if they have your SSN.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 09:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
I don't know why they need your SSN. All they should need is your bank account number and routing number. I would wonder about them considering you an employee and taking taxes out of the paycheck if they have your SSN.
Are you saying that if you are an independent contractor without a federal tax ID number, they don't need your Social to issue you a 1099? This request and the request for banking info could be two separate issues.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
Quote:
I worked a game in the district where I worked in an emergency situation. Payroll put my game fee in my paycheck, taxes taken out. I asked the payroll person about this, she was less than helpful. Aside from the obvious, potential conflict of interest, this made me never do a game in this district again.

However, the post above is correct. A district handles a pretty wide ranging payroll and direct deposit is pretty common (and easy for them). Most districts around here prefer it for all employees. I have not heard of it for officials though.

*I do not work in the high school and at this time, none of my students had reached high school so I felt I could do this game without compromising anything.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Are you saying that if you are an independent contractor without a federal tax ID number, they don't need your Social to issue you a 1099? This request and the request for banking info could be two separate issues.
I don't believe I have ever given my SSN to a school. I could be wrong beacuse the schools that I am currently working I have already worked at least once before. You only get a 1099 if you make over $600 in any given district.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't believe I have ever given my SSN to a school. I could be wrong beacuse the schools that I am currently working I have already worked at least once before. You only get a 1099 if you make over $600 in any given district.
$600 is true but if they're paying you as an independent contractor, they can require that information from you. I've worked playoff games that I've never been to before and still had to provide that information.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Some schools here ask for SS numbers on pay vouchers, and some ask for your official's number that the state provides you. I've never had a school take out taxes either way.
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Ohio, we're required to provide our SSN and DOB at every school we work. One of those vouchers would make life easy for an identity thief.

The state requires DOB in order to check up on deadbeat dads.
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The state requires DOB in order to check up on deadbeat dads.
If their were no deadbeat dads, there would be no reason for the "check up" just like if there were no unsportsmanlike coaches, there would be no reason for technicals.
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 10:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Qui Transtulit Sustinet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Some schools here ask for SS numbers on pay vouchers. I've never had a school take out taxes.
Same here in the Constitution State, except change "some" to "many".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 03:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
.....just like if there were no unsportsmanlike coaches, there would be no reason for technicals.
You've never given a technical to a player? So when are you going to finally work your first game?
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 03:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsturdy5 View Post
I worked a game in the district where I worked in an emergency situation. Payroll put my game fee in my paycheck, taxes taken out. I asked the payroll person about this, she was less than helpful. Aside from the obvious, potential conflict of interest, this made me never do a game in this district again.

However, the post above is correct. A district handles a pretty wide ranging payroll and direct deposit is pretty common (and easy for them). Most districts around here prefer it for all employees. I have not heard of it for officials though.

*I do not work in the high school and at this time, none of my students had reached high school so I felt I could do this game without compromising anything.
My football crew works 3 subvarsity football dates at a district here. One of the guys teaches at the high school (we wouldn't work a varsity date and it's no issue working lower level games -- done all the time here). The interesting thing is that he has taxes withheld from his check.

I've told him that he should get hurt one day and file a workman's comp claim.
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 06:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I've told him that he should get hurt one day and file a workman's comp claim.
It's workers' comp. These days, if you're not politically correct, you can wind up singing soprano.