The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you call a palming violation?
Yes. 55 93.22%
No. 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
First of all, I'm glad to see you jumping into discussion like this.

Yes, assume from the description that his hand was touching the ball when his hand went under the ball.

Second, when the player puts his hand on the side of the ball, he's coming close to a violation. It's possible for the ball to come to rest in his hand (especially a player with large hands) even though it's not "under" the ball. Either is a palming violation.
In the description he should of said "he clearly palmed the ball by holding ball underneath" and then I would agree, not that "he rose up on toes....." . My point is that you can't penalize players that have developed good skills and moves that come "close" to violating rules. I see palming called alot just because a player hesitates , rises on toes , but does not lift ball.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 12:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
The OP seemed like such an easy call to make, I just wanted to stir something up from people who hold the opinion you put above...
I agree it's a very easy call to make, which is why I can't believe the thread is still active. I voted, read the first two posts and then didn't bother to look at it again until just now when I noticed that there are more than 30 replies.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 01:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
In the description he should of said "he clearly palmed the ball by holding ball underneath" and then I would agree, not that "he rose up on toes....." . My point is that you can't penalize players that have developed good skills and moves that come "close" to violating rules. I see palming called alot just because a player hesitates , rises on toes , but does not lift ball.
I can assure you the OP wasn't asking whether it was a palming violation; he knows one when he sees it. The phrase that has you stuck was just helping to describe the play; he also knows the toes have nothing to do with a palming call.

You've previously established that the refs you see are making calls with which you disagree.

1. You might just have to accept the fact that you misunderstand the rule. I'm basing this on the portions of my post that you highlighted.

2. I would suggest that you contact the person assigning middle school games in your area and find out how to get started as an official.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Call the obvious violation... time on the clock or game situation should not be a consideration.

Hopefully the crew has been consistent in adjudicating palming the entire game and so the call fits with what you have called previously.

If the play was 50/50 then you probably want to play on.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 02:12pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. You might just have to accept the fact that you misunderstand the rule. I'm basing this on the portions of my post that you highlighted.

2. I would suggest that you contact the person assigning middle school games in your area and find out how to get started as an official.
Second # 2. Also,

3. Accept that the officials working your daughter's level are usually not the most experienced there are.