The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you call a palming violation?
Yes. 55 93.22%
No. 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 03:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I was wondering if the person who cast the single negative vote would care to comment and explain his position on this issue. I can only guess it would be something along the lines of "Don't let a call like this decide the game," of something equally profound.
And you would be wrong...I voted no simply to see if it would generate any comments/cause anything to come out of the woodwork. So far - only your question.

The OP seemed like such an easy call to make, I just wanted to stir something up from people who hold the opinion you put above...
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 03:57pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
And you would be wrong...I voted no simply to see if it would generate any comments/cause anything to come out of the woodwork. So far - only your question.

The OP seemed like such an easy call to make, I just wanted to stir something up from people who hold the opinion you put above...
And they are out there. This thread kinda scared me. If it had turned out that that was Tony's position, the world as I know it would cease to exist.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 04:24pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My threshold goes up for calling this with no defender present, but I will and have called it.
Likewise, if nothing else, to alert a dribbler that he's picked up a very bad habit.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I have to disagree with you here "pardner". We never have to appear to be fair. We have to be fair. All the time.

Trading calls may help us to appear to be fair, but it doesn't necessarily make us fair. I never want to walk down that street, and I've been around the block many, many times.
Billy, it was in Tony's original post about his crew having called an earlier palming violation, I was following up with curousity. Why do you think he posted that?
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 04:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Makeup Calls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
It was in Tony's original post about his crew having called an earlier palming violation, I was following up with curiosity. Why do you think he posted that?
I don't care who posted it. Officials should never even give the impression that we trade calls. Not on the Forum. Not anyplace else. Never. Ever.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 04:46pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Billy, it was in Tony's original post about his crew having called an earlier palming violation, I was following up with curousity. Why do you think he posted that?

I think he posted it because he anticipated it as a possible question by someone who thinks that would matter, even though it doesn't.

Fairness, like most things, is in the eye of the beholder.

Has the violation been made earlier in the game on the same team?

"He calls that against us but not them."

Earlier in the game on the other team?

"Make up call."

Not at all?

"He saved that one for the end to screw us. It's the same move our guy used all night."

Often it doesn't seem fair. Many times one team gets all the calls. Usually because of talent level or style of play, but sometimes there is no obvious reason. I have said on more than one occasion, "This calling seemed one-sided to me, and I was one of the guys doing the calling."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't care who posted it. Officials should never even give the impression that we trade calls. Not on the Forum. Not anyplace else. Never. Ever.
There is no such thing as "trading calls". An official officiates the game according to the RULES. Read JAR's post which nicely sums it up. Happy New Year
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And I Hate Those Foul Counters Too ...

Quote:
It doesn't.
You're' damn right it doesn't.

There's no crying in baseball, and there are no makeup calls in basketball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will call any obvious violation no matter the time of the game and I see it.

Different story if I am unsure.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I vote no from the information you gave. Just because he put his hand under the ball and rose up on his toes is not a palm or carry, Was his hand touching ball?? I see alot of palming of ball calls just because player does hesitation move and moves hand to side of ball,
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 03:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
I vote no from the information you gave. Just because he put his hand under the ball and rose up on his toes is not a palm or carry, Was his hand touching ball?? I see alot of palming of ball calls just because player does hesitation move and moves hand to side of ball,
The last sentence in his post wasn't convincing enough?
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 04:44pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The question was not whether a violation occurred. It did. That was a given in the OP. The question is whether you would make the call or overlook what some consider a minor thing at this crucial stage of the game.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 04:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Or Even Better, Let's Put On a Show ...

Quote:
The question is whether you would make the call or overlook what some consider a minor thing at this crucial stage of the game.
I wonder what other "minor things" we should overlook at a crucial stage of a game? Let's have a poll.

Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 04:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
First of all, I'm glad to see you jumping into discussion like this.

Yes, assume from the description that his hand was touching the ball when his hand went under the ball.

Second, when the player puts his hand on the side of the ball, he's coming close to a violation. It's possible for the ball to come to rest in his hand (especially a player with large hands) even though it's not "under" the ball. Either is a palming violation.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2012, 04:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I wonder what other "minor things" we should overlook at a crucial stage of a game? Let's have a poll.
Only the same minor things you've been ignoring all game.