The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
LOL, yeah I've thought about that before too.

Several weeks ago, I worked a middle school girls game and arrived a bit early. I'm standing on the side of the court watching the girls play around with a volleyball for about 15 minutes; wearing a trench coat. My bag must have given me away, but I thought it was odd that no one acknowledged me for so long.

Okay, you topped mine. That's the equivalent of "we're going to call hand-check/three seconds/black line/moving screens and here's the new rules this year" guy.

Early in the year, going over (briefly -- no more than 30 seconds) any new rules that affect the players isn't a bad thing.

I do use the speaking captains: 1) Ask if ready to play before the start; 2) ask them to take care of trouble makers if I see it and if they are on the court.

Could have used the captains last week, but R didn't ask for them, so I tried someone else and he didn't seem to care.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:06pm
Back from the DL

*Everyone shake hands. If it's a middle school girls game, I usually have to prod with "ladies, introduce yourselves." Otherwise, this takes care of itself.
*"I'm Mr. Referee, that's Mr. Umpire."
*"Can I expect good sporting behavior from everyone here today?" (Yes.)
*"Coaches, are everyone properly and legally equipped?" (Yes.)
*Only discuss lines, overhangs, and/or tight quarters out of bounds, if necessary. Often, it isn't.
*Anything to add, partner? (Usually, there isn't.)
*"Question anything you like, as long as you're civil about it. Let's have some fun."

FWIW, we were instructed not to bother with speaking captains, as anyone on the floor can address you, anyway. A few partners I have still insist, though. As always, follow Roman Law.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Use the Three B's of a Military briefing......

Be Brief,

Be Bright, and

Be Gone
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I get a kick out of officials who say, "I am Mr. So and So" cause then I step in and say, "I'm Rich."
No child is calling me by my first name. I was not raised that way and I do not even call people that were adults when I was a child by their first name. It is a sign of respect and values IMO.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No child is calling me by my first name. I was not raised that way and I do not even call people that were adults when I was a child by their first name. It is a sign of respect and values IMO.

Peace
A sign of your values and what you consider respectful, which is fine. Not everyone shares the same values.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Peace
And when you introduce yourself as "Mr. Rut" I'll say, "and I'm Rich."

My values are different (not better or worse) than yours.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I'm guessing "JRut" is acceptable for your college games?
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 01:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
A sign of your values and what you consider respectful, which is fine. Not everyone shares the same values.
I get that, but was commenting only because it sounded like there was something wrong with someone wanting to be referred to by players by their first name. I am not their social equal, they are not calling me by their first name in this setting.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 01:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
And when you introduce yourself as "Mr. Rut" I'll say, "and I'm Rich."

My values are different (not better or worse) than yours.
I did not say anything about values being better. I said they are not adults and I was not raised to call adults when I was in HS by their first name. Remember Rich you made the point of what you want them to call you. That is fine with me, but do not make it sound like everyone thinks that is respectful to refer to us by our first names. If that is not the case in other aspects of our society, it certainly is not the case here. No big deal if you want to be called Rich. I even refer to coaches as "Coach....." unless I know both of them very very well, which is rare.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 01:14pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
I am not their social equal, they are not calling me by their first name in this setting.
I strongly agree. IMO, there are times where it's okay for a child to call an adult by their first name (based mostly upon familiarity and parental permission), but not when we're officials.

This past fall, I was working a JV soccer game with a partner who wasn't more than 23. He worked a good game, but in the pre-game, he insisted on being called "Jimmy," and was clearly uncomfortable with anything "Mister." At halftime, I pointed out to him the respect for the role, much like those of high/middle school teachers. You can be informal with a teacher, but don't you dare call him by his first name.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

We're actually required to ask the coaches if their players are properly equipped and ready to display good sportsmanship. We're also required to get a verbal "Yes" from them in response. Don't know why that's a sticking point here in the Peach State but it is.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 01:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Peace
Definitely regional. In Iowa, it was like that. Here in CO, it's much less so. My kids, however, are taught to use Mr and Mrs.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not say anything about values being better. I said they are not adults and I was not raised to call adults when I was in HS by their first name. Remember Rich you made the point of what you want them to call you. That is fine with me, but do not make it sound like everyone thinks that is respectful to refer to us by our first names. If that is not the case in other aspects of our society, it certainly is not the case here. No big deal if you want to be called Rich. I even refer to coaches as "Coach....." unless I know both of them very very well, which is rare.

Peace
I introduce myself by my first name to the players, but I don't expect to be addressed that way during the game. With coaches I use first/last name. I've never had a player call me by name. Coaches will at at times. Usually it is "Hey, ref" or something of that nature by both coaches and players alike when it is necessary to get my attention. One time it was "Mister Referee Sir".

Last edited by Hartsy; Tue Dec 20, 2011 at 01:29pm. Reason: additional info
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 01:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Definitely regional. In Iowa, it was like that. Here in CO, it's much less so. My kids, however, are taught to use Mr and Mrs.
Actually this is more cultural. I grew up with a African-American, Southern upbringing. Everyone in my family except for a very small few exceptions were born in the south (Alabama or Florida). And in many cases they went to college in the south as well. So when people referred to my Grandmother as an example they would call her "Miss Ollie" or "Miss Jones" but never Ollie. I will never forget I called someone that was a family friend by his first name and not only did he tell my parents, my mother and father jumped down my throat for doing such.

That to me has nothing to do with where I live now or what others do. I just do not feel kids are in a position to call me by my first name and the way I was always raised. I still value that to this day to the point where my mom is a retired college professor and she will call some of her colleagues who I knew as either kids or when I attended the same university and she will refer to them by their first name and I will not know who she is talking about. Then when she says, "Dr. ......." I then know who she is talking about.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but do not make it sound like everyone thinks that is respectful to refer to us by our first names.
He didn't. At all.

I introduce myself as Dave. All the kids in Texas seem to use the term "Sir" when speaking to the officials, which is also fine with me.
Closed Thread