The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Odd moment from game.

Guys ~ Thanks for the discussion on my post "Scoring Error at End of Game (help with situation)."

I watched the video and because I was so caught up in talking to you all about the game ending situation, I had another item I wanted to discuss. With about 10 minutes to go in the game, I am the T following the ball up the floor from the endline w/little to no pressure. I look towards the sideline and notice a wheelchair is slowly coming onto the floor being operated by a handicapped person (a quadrapalegic who couldn't really speak). I calmly call officials time out and this person drives around the floor for 3-4 minutes and no one comes to help. I ask the table to call for the site supervisor (who was in the other gym watching a JV game). I really didn't know what to do. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I had the teams go to their bench, but stay on the floor as if in a 30-sec time out.

What would you have done? It wasn't even apparent if the person was with the home or visitors. No one came to help out other than a nice lady who ultimately helped guide this person off of the floor so we could resume play.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

I think you did the exact thing I would have done. There are things more important than our ball games - including the safety of a handicapped person. Great job in my humble opinion!
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

3 to 4 minutes and no one from game management did anything??

Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 05:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

I think you did fine, not much else you can really do in that situation I don't think.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Technical foul to the home team for the slow response from game management...the floor is only for players, officials, and approved persons....

Or I could just say you handled it well.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Technical foul to the home team for the slow response from game management...the floor is only for players, officials, and approved persons....
Don't be a cable repairman.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref View Post
Guys ~ Thanks for the discussion on my post "Scoring Error at End of Game (help with situation)."

I watched the video and because I was so caught up in talking to you all about the game ending situation, I had another item I wanted to discuss. With about 10 minutes to go in the game, I am the T following the ball up the floor from the endline w/little to no pressure. I look towards the sideline and notice a wheelchair is slowly coming onto the floor being operated by a handicapped person (a quadrapalegic who couldn't really speak). I calmly call officials time out and this person drives around the floor for 3-4 minutes and no one comes to help. I ask the table to call for the site supervisor (who was in the other gym watching a JV game). I really didn't know what to do. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I had the teams go to their bench, but stay on the floor as if in a 30-sec time out.

What would you have done? It wasn't even apparent if the person was with the home or visitors. No one came to help out other than a nice lady who ultimately helped guide this person off of the floor so we could resume play.
The situation was handled appropriately, however as soon as it was noticed that the person was not vacating the floor the request should of been placed for game management (not 3-4 minutes later) to respond.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref View Post

With this person having limited communication skills, where was his/her caregiver/handler?
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 10:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
[ "LIKE" button ]
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 11:14pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Doesn't have the same ring to it.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
How about "Don't be a Tax Auditor"?
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Agree. How about:

Don't be a "plumber."

Has the same ring 'cause the quotes are silent, but it allows Freddy to be secretly ironic.