Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 10:31pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Read this somewhere, I wasn't there.

National Anthem at Ferris State

The girl who sang the National Anthem at the NMU/FSU game Saturday had trouble with nerves and forgot the words.

It was shaping up to be the most embarrassing moment of her life until a player's father started singing from the stands.

Others joined in and the featured singer seemed to gain confidence. By the end of the song she was belting it out like a pro.

IÂ’ve never seen anything like it. Very touching. I wasnÂ’t among those who sang as I hear that song five or six times a week and am sick of it. But I clapped the parent on the back and commended him for helping that poor girl who forgot the words.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

... Very touching. I wasnÂ’t among those who sang as I hear that song five or six times a week and am sick of it. But I clapped the parent on the back and commended him for helping that poor girl who forgot the words.
Mick-

I am sorry if this seems to be aggressive, but I had to react to your comment.

I hear the national anthem daily, in my classroom. It is one of the most beautiful songs I know.

At times like these, only months since Sept 11, the shuttle tragedy, and the escalating tensions around the world, I find myself appreciating every note of that symbolic song even more.

I reflect back to the first time I heard the national anthem played after I donned my BDU's as a basic recruit in the Army. I guarantee the song took on a whole new meaning and representation for me. It is amazing what that tune means to me now. Needless to say, I will not tire listening to it and would encourage others to truly consider what a priviledge it is to hear "Oh say can you see, .... home of the free and land of the brave."
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

... Very touching. I wasnÂ’t among those who sang as I hear that song five or six times a week and am sick of it. But I clapped the parent on the back and commended him for helping that poor girl who forgot the words.
Mick-

willie, you need to read the post again. It wasn't mick's comment. The comment was made by the writer. The only thing mick wrote is "Read this somewhere, I wasn't there."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

My Apologies to Mick

Sorry Mick...
I did find it awkward that you would make that statement.

My sentiment is still there, but only directed at the original author.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 12:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking Can I throw up now??

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree

Mick-

I hear the national anthem daily, in my classroom. It is one of the most beautiful songs I know.

At times like these, only months since Sept 11, the shuttle tragedy, and the escalating tensions around the world, I find myself appreciating every note of that symbolic song even more.

I reflect back to the first time I heard the national anthem played after I donned my BDU's as a basic recruit in the Army. I guarantee the song took on a whole new meaning and representation for me. It is amazing what that tune means to me now. Needless to say, I will not tire listening to it and would encourage others to truly consider what a priviledge it is to hear "Oh say can you see, .... home of the free and land of the brave."
I understand you love of the National Anthem, but Mick was not talking about this himself, passing the words along from another writer.

There are people that are not in love with the song the way you are. Not all of us are so passionate about these type of things. I guess to each his own.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Smile This actually happened last Thursday

GV game, 7th grader singing acapella. She forgot some of the words immediately, and the whole crowd started singing with her from that point on until the end of the song. She had a very lovely voice for one so young. She still changed some words here and there, but with the crowd singing in support, it did not matter. The changing of the words reminded me of the 1st grader who asked her Mom who "Richard Stands" was. Mom didn't recognize the name, but the first grader insisted he must be famous ... "I pledge allegience, to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic, for Richard Stands ..."
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Totally off the topic of basketball, but did any of you see the American Idol auditons over the last couple weeks? There were some people that tried to sing the national anthem, and I use the word "tried" very loosely....
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 12:06am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Without a doubt.

I officiated at Clear Lake HS this evening. For those of you not from the Houston area, this high school is right in the heart of the NASA area — less than a mile or so from Johnson Space Center.

Before the game they had a moment of silence and noted that two students from the high school were personally affected by the shuttle tragedy.

Puts things in perspective.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 02:04pm
Livin' The Dream

My son asked me one time, "Who is Jose`?"
Referring to "Jose` can you see by the ......" Funny.
I appreciate the anthem but in the last two weeks at different schools we have had a student play the electric guitar and they both were terrible, one guy lost his place twice and the other guy's rendition was unrecognizable.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tw1ns
I appreciate the anthem but in the last two weeks at different schools we have had a student play the electric guitar and they both were terrible, one guy lost his place twice and the other guy's rendition was unrecognizable.
Everybody thinks they can be Jimi Hendrix...*sigh* It just kills me when "artists" take liberties with the National Anthem. I really don't mind seeing a HS kid give it a best effort and struggle, but when they try to rework the song I get a little peeved.

Dave
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by MN BB Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by tw1ns
Everybody thinks they can be Jimi Hendrix...*sigh* It just kills me when "artists" take liberties with the National Anthem. I really don't mind seeing a HS kid give it a best effort and struggle, but when they try to rework the song I get a little peeved.

Dave
Yeah, they all rework it so that it conveys their own personal, unique and soul-wrenching artistic sensibilities. Yet somehow they all sound exactly the same and you can predict where they'll go an octave higher or add the blues licks to the melody.

Recently at a HS game a girl sang it note-for-note straight, not a flourish or bend. Now that was unique!
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

As a kindergartener when we said the pledge, I never understood why our nation was invisible. I'll never forget my amazement when I found out that wasn't what we were saying. We just learned to say what we heard - we never actually saw the words or knew what they meant at that age.

Now I am just amazed that I can remember anything that far back