The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Odd moment from game. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84425-odd-moment-game.html)

Huntin' Ref Thu Dec 15, 2011 04:39pm

Odd moment from game.

Guys ~ Thanks for the discussion on my post "Scoring Error at End of Game (help with situation)."

I watched the video and because I was so caught up in talking to you all about the game ending situation, I had another item I wanted to discuss. With about 10 minutes to go in the game, I am the T following the ball up the floor from the endline w/little to no pressure. I look towards the sideline and notice a wheelchair is slowly coming onto the floor being operated by a handicapped person (a quadrapalegic who couldn't really speak). I calmly call officials time out and this person drives around the floor for 3-4 minutes and no one comes to help. I ask the table to call for the site supervisor (who was in the other gym watching a JV game). I really didn't know what to do. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I had the teams go to their bench, but stay on the floor as if in a 30-sec time out.

What would you have done? It wasn't even apparent if the person was with the home or visitors. No one came to help out other than a nice lady who ultimately helped guide this person off of the floor so we could resume play.

Refsmitty Thu Dec 15, 2011 04:42pm

I think you did the exact thing I would have done. There are things more important than our ball games - including the safety of a handicapped person. Great job in my humble opinion!

fiasco Thu Dec 15, 2011 05:17pm

3 to 4 minutes and no one from game management did anything??

:eek:

Welpe Thu Dec 15, 2011 05:19pm

I think you did fine, not much else you can really do in that situation I don't think.

APG Thu Dec 15, 2011 05:29pm

Technical foul to the home team for the slow response from game management...the floor is only for players, officials, and approved persons....

Or I could just say you handled it well.

fiasco Thu Dec 15, 2011 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 805134)
Technical foul to the home team for the slow response from game management...the floor is only for players, officials, and approved persons....

Don't be a cable repairman.

chseagle Thu Dec 15, 2011 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref (Post 805120)
Guys ~ Thanks for the discussion on my post "Scoring Error at End of Game (help with situation)."

I watched the video and because I was so caught up in talking to you all about the game ending situation, I had another item I wanted to discuss. With about 10 minutes to go in the game, I am the T following the ball up the floor from the endline w/little to no pressure. I look towards the sideline and notice a wheelchair is slowly coming onto the floor being operated by a handicapped person (a quadrapalegic who couldn't really speak). I calmly call officials time out and this person drives around the floor for 3-4 minutes and no one comes to help. I ask the table to call for the site supervisor (who was in the other gym watching a JV game). I really didn't know what to do. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I had the teams go to their bench, but stay on the floor as if in a 30-sec time out.

What would you have done? It wasn't even apparent if the person was with the home or visitors. No one came to help out other than a nice lady who ultimately helped guide this person off of the floor so we could resume play.

The situation was handled appropriately, however as soon as it was noticed that the person was not vacating the floor the request should of been placed for game management (not 3-4 minutes later) to respond.

chseagle Thu Dec 15, 2011 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref (Post 805120)

With this person having limited communication skills, where was his/her caregiver/handler?

Freddy Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 805137)

[ "LIKE" button ]

Welpe Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 805137)

Doesn't have the same ring to it.

chseagle Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 805205)

How about "Don't be a Tax Auditor"?

mbyron Fri Dec 16, 2011 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 805205)

Agree. How about:

Don't be a "plumber."

Has the same ring 'cause the quotes are silent, but it allows Freddy to be secretly ironic. :)