The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

This issue is certainly not worth of a forfeit....even if it is one to be declared later. I'm going to work with the coach to try to find a way to avoid that. Even the other coach, in most cases, does't want a win that way.

I may offer him some options to resolve the situation....such as a timeout. Coach, "Did you just say you wanted a timeout?"

That player just might have his jersey untucked.....for that matter, the player could pull it out so he will be sent out.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Washington State interpretation

This is from the WIAA Handbook:

52.5.0 PLAYER LIMITATION – Each player may play in twenty (20) contests, but in doing so may not exceed eighty (80) quarters. Any appearance in a quarter, regardless of the length of time played, shall be
considered as one (1) quarter. This is interpreted as meaning when a player is beckoned onto the floor and the ball becomes alive, that the player has played in one (1) quarter.
52.5.1 Players from all classifications of schools except 1B schools may appear in a maximum of four (4) quarters in one (1) day.
52.5.2 Players in 1B schools may appear in a maximum of five (5) quarters in one (1) day.
52.5.3 Players from all classifications of schools except 1B schools may participate in a maximum of 20 games during the regular season.
52.5.4 Players in 1B schools may participate in a maximum of 80 quarters during the regular season.
52.5.5 If an eighth grader has participated in a middle level or junior high team, that player may participate in a maximum of forty quarters.
52.6.0 COUNTING QUARTERS AND CONTESTS:
52.6.1 Four (4) quarters played against the same squad is one (1) contest.
52.6.2 Four (4) quarters played against the same school, same day, different squads (i.e., varsity and junior varsity squads) is one (1) contest.
52.6.3 Four (4) quarters played against the same school, different days during the same week, different squads (i.e., varsity on Tuesday, junior varsity on Thursday) is one (1) contest. If a player exceeds four (4) quarters, that player is considered to have participated in two (2) contests (one (1) contest on each day).
52.6.4 A total of four (4) quarters played against two (2) different schools, same day, different squads is one (1) contest.
52.6.5 One (1) or more quarters played against two (2) different schools, different days during the same week, different squads would be two (2) contests.
52.6.6 Postseason games do not count against the game or quarterly season limitation.
52.6.7 FIFTH QUARTER - A fifth quarter may be played only by freshmen basketball squads following the regular contest. The 5th quarter is for players who were not starters and who played in three (3) quarters or less of the regular contest.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I may offer him some options to resolve the situation....such as a timeout. Coach, "Did you just say you wanted a timeout?"

That player just might have his jersey untucked.....for that matter, the player could pull it out so he will be sent out.

"A5, are you having a cramp? Sure looks like you are cramping up! TRAINER!" Problem solved!
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 06:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Coach, the only way I can allow a sub now is for an injury or if you request a timeout.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 06:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Why do we care about the Washington eligibility rules?
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The OhioHSAA has a five quarter per day rule (with a maximum of ninety quarters for the regular season).

As an example, two schools are playing a FR/JV/VAR tripleheader. An player can player a total of five quarters for the three games: one quarter in the FR game, three quarters in the JV game and one quarter in the VAR game. The Scorekeepr must keep track of the number of quarters each player plays in each game. If a player is found to be playing in his sixth quarter for the night, he is disqualified (his disqualification is treated in the same way as if a player had fouled out of the game) from playing for the rest of the day, and his sixth quarter counts toward his ninety maximum for the regular season.

If the situation being discussed happened in Ohio, it would be treated in the same manner if the officials had been told by the Scorekeeper that he just discovered that A5 had five fouls and is disqualified. Replace A5 and move on.
MTD, Sr.

P.S. In my opinion, the officials were being hard a$$e$ about that matter, meaning Team A could have requested a Team TO in order to replace A5.
I agree, Mark. You forgot to mention that if a player does participate in more the 5 quarters the team is assessed a technical foul which makes a lot more sense in my opinion than a forfeit.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Why do we care about the Washington eligibility rules?
Perhaps other states use similar rules.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 11:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
The only relevant rule here is Indiana's.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
More likely that they're completely different and even if they're somewhat similar, their specific language is what matters...and it is probably enough different to not be useful.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 11:50pm.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 12:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
I agree, Mark. You forgot to mention that if a player does participate in more the 5 quarters the team is assessed a technical foul which makes a lot more sense in my opinion than a forfeit.

You are correct BillyU2. I forgot about the TF. But my guess is that you are a youngin', , and weren't even born back in the day when the OhioHSAA rules were one gane per day and four quarters per day equaled one game so a play could play one quarter in the FR game, two quarters in the JV game and one quarter in the VAR game for example, AND a player could not participate in more than twenty regular season games. If a player participated in a fifth quarter he was charged with a Flagrant TF (game report to Columbus), the OhioHSAA considered that as playing in two games in one day, and he was ineligible for post-season competition.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
You are correct BillyU2. I forgot about the TF. But my guess is that you are a youngin', , and weren't even born back in the day when the OhioHSAA rules were one gane per day and four quarters per day equaled one game so a play could play one quarter in the FR game, two quarters in the JV game and one quarter in the VAR game for example, AND a player could not participate in more than twenty regular season games. If a player participated in a fifth quarter he was charged with a Flagrant TF (game report to Columbus), the OhioHSAA considered that as playing in two games in one day, and he was ineligible for post-season competition.

MTD, Sr.
Wow, Mark! You really do go back aways. I don't remember any of that stuff at all. I have gotten a lot younger though (16 years old now) since I converted to centigrade.
I'll be getting my drivers license soon so my wife won't have to drive me to all my games.

Last edited by billyu2; Wed Nov 30, 2011 at 02:44pm.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 09:48pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Wow, Mark! You really do go back aways. I don't remember any of that stuff at all. I have gotten a lot younger though (16 years old now) since I converted to centigrade.
I'll be getting my drivers license soon so my wife won't have to drive me to all my games.
BillyU2:

ROFLMAO

And now for a second history lesson.

If one reads the NFHS Basketball Rules, one sees that the Coaching Box is actually by StateHSAA adoption. In reality, NFHS Rules are really a "Seat Belt Rule" for lack of a better description.

The NBCUSC adopted the "seat belt rule" for the 1970-71 (remember, back then the NBCUSC wrote the rules for both boys'/girls' and men's college; the same set of rules for all three levels except for length of periods) season, there was no provision for a Coaching Box. That meant, everybody had to keep their tushes glued to the bench; for all intents and purposes the rule was ignored at the college level.

When the NBCUSC adpopted the "Seat Belt Rule" the OhioHSAA adopted provisions that made the rule even stricter than the NBCUS adoption; I won't go into detail because the definition of Live and Dead Ball were different than they are now.

That said, the OhioHSAA also added paper work to the rule, any time a Head Coach (JrHS, FR, JV, or VAR) received a TF violation of the "Seat Belt Rule" the calling official had to complete and file an OhioHSAA Coach's Bench Rule Report Form with the OhioHSAA and the Head Coach's school.

Ah, those were the days.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio