The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

During a varsity game, the person keeping the book during a dead ball call me over and informed me that a player from the visiting team was playing in his sixth quarter of the night. In New Mexico, a player may not play more than 5 quarters in one night.

Procedure during game:
Official #1: I said to the bookkeeper that is not our resonsibility and wanted to go on.
Official #2: The vetern official gave a T, because the player was disqualified.

What I think now:
Official #1: The player is not disqualified, because the coach was never notified. (4-14-2) Therefore, inform the coach the player is disqualifed and give 30 secs for a sub and continue play form that point. By rule, the coach was never notified and therefore the player was never disqualified, and a T was not warrented.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with your final statement; if the New Mexico rules allow you to DQ the player.

If you aren't allowed to DQ the player, then I believe the coach could refuse to take him out, and You should let it go. Report it after the game, and let his and your supervisors decide what to do.

Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Is it really our problem (as officials) to deal with? I would look at it as being eligible to play rather than being disqualified. We don't deal with academic eligibility why try to rule on eligibility based on quarters played in a game outside our jursidiction? When the R went over to check books does that mean they checked and signed the freshman/JV books as well?

Let the AD's and the league deal with it. IMO
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

I agree with SOWB_Ref. At least here in Oregon it wouldn't be within our jurisdiction. The state guys would have to deal with it. If a team played with an ineligible player, then the state association would determine the penalty. I say let them play unless the state tells me otherwise.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

We have been told here in OH that if we are informed that a player is over the Q limit, we are to simply have them removed, and follow up with a report to the state. Here, this does not fall under DQ sitch, the player needs to be subbed for ASAP, and there is no T. Unless the new Mexico state Assoc. has said this is a T'able (is that a word??) by their adoption, then official 2 screwed the pooch.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you Brian, if by state association, you are obligated to enforce player eligibility conditions then, you have deal with it.