The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Jump ball/travelling

Can someone clarify the call, when shooting a layup in the air and defender gets hands on the ball causing shooter to come down with the ball. When would you have a jump ball as opposed to travelling? Thnks.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Judgment call: if the defender prevents release of the shot, held ball. If not, travel.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Judgment call: if the defender prevents release of the shot, held ball. If not, travel.
Agreed. And 96.4% of the time, it's going to be a held ball.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

That instance is a jump ball. When the opponents hand does not allow the shooter to release the ball before he returns the ground it is a held ball and we go to the arrow.
If the shooter knocks the ball out of the hand but it does not reach the floor and the player regains possession we have a no call. And I would allow him to dribble since the start of a shot ended his possession. Although I'm not sure and the player usually passes in these plays for me.
If the player just gets the ball tapped and never bobbles and comes down with the ball then we have a travel. (Of course that's if his pivot foot comes back to the ground then it is a travel.)
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
That instance is a jump ball. When the opponents hand does not allow the shooter to release the ball before he returns the ground it is a held ball and we go to the arrow.
If the shooter knocks the ball out of the hand but it does not reach the floor and the player regains possession we have a no call. And I would allow him to dribble since the start of a shot ended his possession.
You might want to double check.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
agreed. And 96.4% of the time, it's going to be a held ball.
+1
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You might want to double check.
Are you referring to the entire thing or the dribbling portion?
I am going to look for this because it was something I was typing and was confused when thinking about it.
Without the rule book in my hand. The only thing I can think of is that the shot began an attempt on "the gather" and once knocked away it ended. Am I wrong because he never lost possession?
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 05:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
Are you referring to the entire thing or the dribbling portion?
I am going to look for this because it was something I was typing and was confused when thinking about it.
Without the rule book in my hand. The only thing I can think of is that the shot began an attempt on "the gather" and once knocked away it ended. Am I wrong because he never lost possession?
It's in his control until the try is released. If he never releases a try, then he doesn't get a new dribble. If he does release the try, then it doesn't matter.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 07:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter loses control of the ball because of the block, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. If, in this situation, the defender simply touches the ball, and the airborne shooter returns to the floor holding the ball, it’s a traveling violation. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck View Post
Can someone clarify the call, when shooting a layup in the air and defender gets hands on the ball causing shooter to come down with the ball. When would you have a jump ball as opposed to travelling? Thnks.
You would NEVER have a jump ball.

You could, however, have a held ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 12:45am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
It's in his control until the try is released. If he never releases a try, then he doesn't get a new dribble. If he does release the try, then it doesn't matter.
If the touch by the opponent caused a loss of control, he would get a new dribble, whether a try was involved or not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If the touch by the opponent caused a loss of control, he would get a new dribble, whether a try was involved or not.
I'm gonna blame it on the food poisoning. Thanks, don't know what I was thinking.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:31am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I'm gonna blame it on the food poisoning. Thanks, don't know what I was thinking.
It was fresh on my mind, because I booted a similar call tonight. A girl dribbled off her own foot, ran and recovered the ball, and started a new dribble. I drew a blank. On the way back up the court it occurred to me that no opponent had touched the ball.

oops

Lonesome Dove