The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump ball/travelling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83512-jump-ball-travelling.html)

rngrck Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:31pm

Jump ball/travelling

Can someone clarify the call, when shooting a layup in the air and defender gets hands on the ball causing shooter to come down with the ball. When would you have a jump ball as opposed to travelling? Thnks.

mbyron Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:32pm

Judgment call: if the defender prevents release of the shot, held ball. If not, travel.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 800580)
Judgment call: if the defender prevents release of the shot, held ball. If not, travel.

Agreed. And 96.4% of the time, it's going to be a held ball.

berserkBBK Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:45pm

That instance is a jump ball. When the opponents hand does not allow the shooter to release the ball before he returns the ground it is a held ball and we go to the arrow.
If the shooter knocks the ball out of the hand but it does not reach the floor and the player regains possession we have a no call. And I would allow him to dribble since the start of a shot ended his possession. Although I'm not sure and the player usually passes in these plays for me.
If the player just gets the ball tapped and never bobbles and comes down with the ball then we have a travel. (Of course that's if his pivot foot comes back to the ground then it is a travel.)

Adam Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by berserkBBK (Post 800583)
That instance is a jump ball. When the opponents hand does not allow the shooter to release the ball before he returns the ground it is a held ball and we go to the arrow.
If the shooter knocks the ball out of the hand but it does not reach the floor and the player regains possession we have a no call. And I would allow him to dribble since the start of a shot ended his possession.

You might want to double check.

TimTaylor Tue Nov 29, 2011 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 800582)
agreed. And 96.4% of the time, it's going to be a held ball.

+1

berserkBBK Tue Nov 29, 2011 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 800584)
You might want to double check.

Are you referring to the entire thing or the dribbling portion?
I am going to look for this because it was something I was typing and was confused when thinking about it.
Without the rule book in my hand. The only thing I can think of is that the shot began an attempt on "the gather" and once knocked away it ended. Am I wrong because he never lost possession?

Adam Tue Nov 29, 2011 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by berserkBBK (Post 800623)
Are you referring to the entire thing or the dribbling portion?
I am going to look for this because it was something I was typing and was confused when thinking about it.
Without the rule book in my hand. The only thing I can think of is that the shot began an attempt on "the gather" and once knocked away it ended. Am I wrong because he never lost possession?

It's in his control until the try is released. If he never releases a try, then he doesn't get a new dribble. If he does release the try, then it doesn't matter.

BillyMac Tue Nov 29, 2011 07:16pm

Who You Gonna Call ???

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6230/6...473e048e_m.jpg

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter loses control of the ball because of the block, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. If, in this situation, the defender simply touches the ball, and the airborne shooter returns to the floor holding the ball, it’s a traveling violation. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.

BktBallRef Tue Nov 29, 2011 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rngrck (Post 800578)
Can someone clarify the call, when shooting a layup in the air and defender gets hands on the ball causing shooter to come down with the ball. When would you have a jump ball as opposed to travelling? Thnks.

You would NEVER have a jump ball.

You could, however, have a held ball. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...s/thumbsup.gif

just another ref Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 800634)
It's in his control until the try is released. If he never releases a try, then he doesn't get a new dribble. If he does release the try, then it doesn't matter.

If the touch by the opponent caused a loss of control, he would get a new dribble, whether a try was involved or not.

Adam Wed Nov 30, 2011 01:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 800678)
If the touch by the opponent caused a loss of control, he would get a new dribble, whether a try was involved or not.

I'm gonna blame it on the food poisoning. Thanks, don't know what I was thinking.

just another ref Wed Nov 30, 2011 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 800683)
I'm gonna blame it on the food poisoning. Thanks, don't know what I was thinking.

It was fresh on my mind, because I booted a similar call tonight. A girl dribbled off her own foot, ran and recovered the ball, and started a new dribble. I drew a blank. On the way back up the court it occurred to me that no opponent had touched the ball.

oops