The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Flopping Reference

What is the particular rules reference for a defensive player not legally being able to fall backwards right before contact???

The play is: A1 is driving to the basket and B1 has obtained LGP, but right before contact they begin to fall backwards. Then there is contact from A1's drive on B1's torso/or body.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 09:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
What is the particular rules reference for a defensive player not legally being able to fall backwards right before contact???

The play is: A1 is driving to the basket and B1 has obtained LGP, but right before contact they begin to fall backwards. Then there is contact from A1's drive on B1's torso/or body.

NCHSAA:

Your play is a perfect example of a defensive player with a LGP reacting imminent contact from an offensive player. This is not flopping to draw a foul but should be a foul by the offensive player if contact occurs.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 09:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The bald old ICP fan has it right. There's a difference between "faking being fouled" (illegal) and reacting to imminent contact (legal.)
Old Sun Nov 13, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post

Take a look at 4-7-2, the basis for block - charge plays. Then 4-23-3 e. tells us that "The guard may turn or duck to absorb the shock of imminent contact."

Obviously, these statements are the inverse of your OP, and tell us that the guard may move backwards when contact is imminent.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2011, 12:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Coming In For A Landing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
the guard may move backwards when contact is imminent.
Can't the defender legally move backward an almost any time, even if contact is not imminent, with the exception of moving into the path of an airborne shooter, who has already become airborne?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 13, 2011, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

BillyMac,

I agree that the defender can always move backwards. The subject of moving backwards when contact is imminent is only part of the legal movements of a defender.
Last season, working a three-man crew with an experienced partner, and another official, with considerably less experience, the younger official, from Lead position, called a block when the defender, who had LGP, recoiled upon imminent contact from a driving ball-handler. At halftime, when I asked him what he saw on the play, he said, " The defender was moving backward and he wasn't "set"." So, we had a discussion, which seems to fit the OP. He didn't want to accept my point of view, that the defender always and certainly on the play in question, has the right to move backward. But, a few days later, he came to me and told me he understood it better.
I'm sure you've heard, from the fans, and from coaches, the "He wasn't set! He was moving!" kinds of retorts, on such calls. Sometimes it seems they want the defender to "take it like a man" to get the charge call.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2011, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

One way I prefer to frame this topic revolves around the effect of any such movement....

If the defender has initial LGP, does the movement of the defender increase or create the contact or does it actually decrease, lessen, or soften the contact. If it is the latter, it is probably not a block....as would be the case when stepping away from the shooter.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2011, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Can't the defender legally move backward an almost any time, even if contact is not imminent, with the exception of moving into the path of an airborne shooter, who has already become airborne?
Can't the offensive player legally move backward?

Can't the defender legally move sideways?

What if the offensive player is airborne, but isn't an airborne shooter?

IOW, try reading with context and stop trying to make every statement apply to every situation. That's the kind of crap that leads to your technical foul and myth summaries being so complicated. JMO, of course.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2011, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Practical Application - block/charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
One way I prefer to frame this topic revolves around the effect of any such movement....

If the defender has initial LGP, does the movement of the defender increase or create the contact or does it actually decrease, lessen, or soften the contact. If it is the latter, it is probably not a block....as would be the case when stepping away from the shooter.
Very well stated.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2011, 05:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

But He Was Moving ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
The guard may move backwards when contact is imminent.
Quote:
Can't the defender legally move backward almost any time, even if contact is not imminent, with the exception of moving into the path of an airborne shooter, who has already become airborne?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Stop trying to make every statement apply to every situation
There are already too many "myths" about block/charge situations. I couldn't let this one pass without a comment. You certainly know the various components of the block/charge rule. I know these components as well. Maybe NCHSAA, and Rob1968, know these components. Most officials, certainly most veteran officials, understand this rule.

Leaving the statement, "The guard may move backwards when contact is imminent", uncommented on, may lead some Forum members, especially those who may be young officials, or non officials, i.e. coaches, to believe that the only time a defender may be allowed to move, is only when contact is imminent, and/or, only backwards, when veteran officials know that this is not the case, that there are a number of movements that a defender may legally make.

As a retired teacher, with over thirty years in the classroom, I can't pass up teachable moments. I'm sorry if I wasted anybody's time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 13, 2011 at 06:45pm.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2011, 08:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
There are already too many "myths" about block/charge situations. I couldn't let this one pass without a comment. You certainly know the various components of the block/charge rule. I know these components as well. Maybe NCHSAA, and Rob1968, know these components. Most officials, certainly most veteran officials, understand this rule.

Leaving the statement, "The guard may move backwards when contact is imminent", uncommented on....
well, leaving your comment that a defender may always move backwards uncommented on could lead to similar misunderstandings amongst the unwashed.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2011, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 06:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Almost ???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Well, leaving your comment that a defender may always move backwards uncommented on could lead to similar misunderstandings amongst the unwashed.
OK. I'll bite. What did I miss here?

Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 08:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

And Don't Call Me Shirley

Quote:
OK. I'll bite. What did I miss here?
You can't think of any situation where a defender could be called for a foul while backing up? It's early here, and I can think of several off the top of my head.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Theory of Relativity

How about "The defender can always move backward relative to the offensive player as long as s/he don't foul another offensive player in the process."