View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 13, 2011, 05:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

But He Was Moving ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
The guard may move backwards when contact is imminent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Can't the defender legally move backward almost any time, even if contact is not imminent, with the exception of moving into the path of an airborne shooter, who has already become airborne?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Stop trying to make every statement apply to every situation
There are already too many "myths" about block/charge situations. I couldn't let this one pass without a comment. You certainly know the various components of the block/charge rule. I know these components as well. Maybe NCHSAA, and Rob1968, know these components. Most officials, certainly most veteran officials, understand this rule.

Leaving the statement, "The guard may move backwards when contact is imminent", uncommented on, may lead some Forum members, especially those who may be young officials, or non officials, i.e. coaches, to believe that the only time a defender may be allowed to move, is only when contact is imminent, and/or, only backwards, when veteran officials know that this is not the case, that there are a number of movements that a defender may legally make.

As a retired teacher, with over thirty years in the classroom, I can't pass up teachable moments. I'm sorry if I wasted anybody's time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 13, 2011 at 06:45pm.