The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

flopping

Mid boys game.I am in the trail. A1 guard to drive to his right. Teammate A2 sets pick about 10 feet away and guard drives off of A2 shoulder, picking B!. The contact, while not incidental, did not seam too severe. A2 went to the ground, and I thought he flopped just to get a call.

As the play continued to develope, I saw A2 on the ground in obvious pain. I was still not sure if the injury occured because of the flop or because the player was truly pushed to the ground. neither the player or the coach complained afterwards of a missed call.

I know it is impossible to give a good answer, but, do most of you give the charge before the flop when someone goes to the ground??
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Going to the ground means nothing. That said, I'm not sure you've got the definition of incidental down. If the contact did not cause him to go down, it's incidental in this case. If it's not incidental, it should probably be a foul.

I don't see many screeners flop like this, though, as the intent of the screen is not to draw a foul but to free the dribbler for a drive.

Was it a blind screen? If so, B is allowed to cause pretty significant contact, even knocking the screener down, and as long as he attempts to stop upon contact it is considered incidental.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Going to the ground means nothing. That said, I'm not sure you've got the definition of incidental down. If the contact did not cause him to go down, it's incidental in this case. If it's not incidental, it should probably be a foul.

I don't see many screeners flop like this, though, as the intent of the screen is not to draw a foul but to free the dribbler for a drive.

Was it a blind screen? If so, B is allowed to cause pretty significant contact, even knocking the screener down, and as long as he attempts to stop upon contact it is considered incidental.
I was a blind screen, as the charging player did not see the screen until the last sceond and did try to stop. That was one reason I thought the screener flopped.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
I was a blind screen, as the charging player did not see the screen until the last sceond and did try to stop. That was one reason I thought the screener flopped.
Flop or not, looks like incidental contact to me. It could have been solid contact and it's still incidental.