The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 01:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Flopping (NBA)

Listening to the Mikes on ESPN this morning got me to wondering if the NBA rule for flopping (ie, faking being fouled) is the same as NFHS. A lot of whining about some NBA game last night, I think.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Listening to the Mikes on ESPN this morning got me to wondering if the NBA rule for flopping (ie, faking being fouled) is the same as NFHS. A lot of whining about some NBA game last night, I think.
There was complaining about an offensive foul call (Team Control Foul in our codes) in the Utah/Houston game. There was a Utah player that was pushed out of the way on a defender trying to defend a shot (which ended up in a pass to an open 3 point shot) and the Utah player embellished a little to get a call. I think the call was right, but the Utah player embellishing is the reason that many people think the call was made. Just another case where people that are not officials talk about things they did not know anything about.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 02:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Oh, the play where Scola held AK47? I saw that as it occurred. It was an obvious hold. I think (pure speculation here) Tony Brothers had to call it b/c everyone in the gym expected McGrady to shoot and Scola's hold prevented AK47 from getting out to challenge the shot. Everybody was caught by surprise when McGrady passed the ball out to Bobby Jackson, but Brothers had blown his whistle way before Jackson got the ball.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You're destroying my confidence in the Mikes.
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I was at the game.... it was pretty intense all night, but that call specifically... Brothers hit the whistle but everyone was screaming that I don't think anyone really heard it, until he hit the whistle again and waved the basket off...

It takes some steel between the legs to wipe off that bucket....
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Just wondering, has anyone noted that Darell Garretson passed away over the weekend. I looked but didn't see a thread.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 08:59am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Just wondering, has anyone noted that Darell Garretson passed away over the weekend. I looked but didn't see a thread.
I hadn't heard that. He wasn't that old, was he? I'm sorry to hear that.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
There was complaining about an offensive foul call (Team Control Foul in our codes) in the Utah/Houston game. There was a Utah player that was pushed out of the way on a defender trying to defend a shot (which ended up in a pass to an open 3 point shot) and the Utah player embellished a little to get a call. I think the call was right, but the Utah player embellishing is the reason that many people think the call was made. Just another case where people that are not officials talk about things they did not know anything about.

Peace
Embellished a little? From the Lee Strasberg school of acting. I didn't have a problem with the call. It could have been ignored. he doesn't flop or budge, you don't have anything compared to all the other stuff that goes on. I also don't think he had a good angle.

God bless 'em............ NBA, toughest game to call IMHO.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 11:00am
Esteemed Participant

Hmmmm...didn't have a good angle??? Kirilenko is shoved by Scola about 4 feet from the baseline right in front of the official, but the official didn't have a good angle...wow.

On the original topic - ALL NBA plaers learn how to flop and flail early on in their careers. Watch Ginobli...watch Kobe...watch any of them for crying out loud. It's ridiculous...

And wtf is a "hard double team"??? The announcers on these games keep talking about that...I assume it's when someone else jumps out on the ball-handler and beats the crap out of him, but I'm not sure.

And has anyone watched the man-handling that goes on when someone is going out to se the "high pick and roll" play (another announcer line)?? Might as well put pads and helmets on them and call it football...
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 02:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Hmmmm...didn't have a good angle??? Kirilenko is shoved by Scola about 4 feet from the baseline right in front of the official, but the official didn't have a good angle...wow.

On the original topic - ALL NBA plaers learn how to flop and flail early on in their careers. Watch Ginobli...watch Kobe...watch any of them for crying out loud. It's ridiculous...

And wtf is a "hard double team"??? The announcers on these games keep talking about that...I assume it's when someone else jumps out on the ball-handler and beats the crap out of him, but I'm not sure.

And has anyone watched the man-handling that goes on when someone is going out to se the "high pick and roll" play (another announcer line)?? Might as well put pads and helmets on them and call it football...
It's the NBE, Rocky. Pro rasslin' played with a ball. I don't have a clue anymore what a "foul" might be. No rhyme nor reason that I can see.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad

You're correct it was right in front of Brothers yet Kirilenko is between Brothers and Scola, not the best of angles. As Jurassic alluded to, I don't know what's a foul and what isn't anymore.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 03:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
You're correct it was right in front of Brothers yet Kirilenko is between Brothers and Scola, not the best of angles. As Jurassic alluded to, I don't know what's a foul and what isn't anymore.
Scola fully extended his right arm and held AK47 across his mid-section. I noticed it right away, before they even showed the replay.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 04:04pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I remember Darell watching the NBA back in the early 80s. I remember that I liked the fact that they weren't robots. They were part of the show, to me anyways, and I liked that.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Scola fully extended his right arm and held AK47 across his mid-section. I noticed it right away, before they even showed the replay.

No problem with the call............