The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 07:22pm
Ok is the new good

Hands Up or Hands Down?

Are players lined up in the lane spaces for free throws allowed to have their arms up?

I have had this in my games and some officials I worked with tell players hands down.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

There's nothing that says the hands have to be down...but you can make a case of disconcertion if a player put the hands up abruptly as the shot was going up.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 11:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

No spirit fingers.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2011, 11:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No spirit fingers.
Ask the boys, "why the jazz hands." It should stop.

OTOH, there's no basis for telling players to put their hands down. Ranks up there with moving everyone behind the division line on techs and ints.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No spirit fingers.
I'd have a hard time calling that disconcertion.

Realistically if a shooter is going to be "disconcerted" by this, then that player has zero concentration, and is going to be in trouble when the cute cheerleader in the corner starts doing that or some fan does the same thing too.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Last edited by APG; Sun Oct 30, 2011 at 12:17am.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 12:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I'd have a hard time calling that disconcertion.

Realistically if a shooter is going to be "disconcerted" by this, then that player has zero concentration, and is going to be in trouble when the cute cheerleader in the corner starts doing that or some fan does the same thing too.
I don't say anything until they start breaking out the choreography.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I don't say anything until they start breaking out the choreography.
Again, I have a real hard time imagining how 2-4 players wiggling their fingers along the lane line would "disconcert" anyone.

Of course, I'd be more shocked to see something like this in a boys game...by more than one person.

Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 12:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Again, I have a real hard time imagining how 2-4 players wiggling their fingers along the lane line would "disconcert" anyone.

Of course, I'd be more shocked to see something like this in a boys game...by more than one person.
I'm not worried about jazz hands, I'm not going to really say anything until they start raising and lowering the arms in concert, just as the shooter is shooting.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 09:27am
Ok is the new good

Quote:
I'm not worried about jazz hands, I'm not going to really say anything until they start raising and lowering the arms in concert, just as the shooter is shooting.
What about if hands are up beyond the width of their lane space or over the lane line? In otherwords, NOT Vertical?
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 09:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Funny thing, I did a formal (2 teams) college scrimmage yesterday and one of my partners told the star player for one of the teams that he had to stop doing this. He was in the spot right closest to the shooter.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
What about if hands are up beyond the width of their lane space or over the lane line? In otherwords, NOT Vertical?
Find me the wording that restricts this in the rule book.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 12:38pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Find me the wording that restricts this in the rule book.
Rule book talks about placement of feet..don't see anything about hands or arms. But I have had Vets I work with tell players arms down..thus the source of my confusion
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 02:04pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Rule book talks about placement of feet..don't see anything about hands or arms. But I have had Vets I work with tell players arms down..thus the source of my confusion
Did you ever ask them the question - (nicely of course) - "Really? Can you cite me the rule or let me know where to look in the book as I don't recall that one?"

I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. But, it may also cause the "vets" to look for it after the game too and make them go hmmm......
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 02:15pm
Administrator

Quote:

I am going to play devil's advocate here and will ask you the following question: What does the word 'disconcertion' mean to you. How does this relate to: NFHS R4-S20-A1: A free throw is the opportunity given a player to score one point by an unhindered try for goal from within the free-throw semicirlcle and behind the free-throw line. NCAA R4-S30-A1: A free throw is the previlige given a player to score one point by an unhindered try for goal from within the free-throw semicirlcle and behind the free-throw line.

The word 'unhindered' is the key to how we as officials handle this situation. I think that all of us would agree that if all of the defenisive players were to start saying "miss it", "miss it", "miss it" from the time the shooter received the ball from the time he released it on his free throw attempt, this would be a classic example of 'disconcertion'. "Playing the piano", which is what I call the waving of one's hands/fingers, is really no different that saying "miss it", "miss it". It is disconcertion because the shooter is not receiving an "unhindered" free throw attempt. The defense can hold there arms up, but it can not "play the piano".

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun Oct 30, 2011 at 05:21pm. Reason: Adding to my post; see blue post.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am going to play devil's advocate here and will ask you the following question: What does the word 'disconcertion' mean to you. How does this relate to: NFHS R4-S20-A1: A free throw is the opportunity given a player to score one point by an unhindered try for goal from within the free-throw semicirlcle and behind the free-throw line. NCAA R4-S30-A1: A free throw is the previlige given a player to score one point by an unhindered try for goal from within the free-throw semicirlcle and behind the free-throw line.

MTD, Sr.
I can tell you it ain't no "jazz hands."