Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 05:44pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I can tell you it ain't no "jazz hands."

APG:

Please read my blue addition to my original post.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

You go ahead and make that call MTD...I'm still not calling that.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even if you don't plan on calling it, you can still tell them to knock it off...."If I see you doing that and I think it distracted the shooter and caused him to miss, he'll get another shot" (emphasis on "and I think it..."). You can get the desired result without ever calling it.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Even if you don't plan on calling it, you can still tell them to knock it off...."If I see you doing that and I think it distracted the shooter and caused him to miss, he'll get another shot" (emphasis on "and I think it..."). You can get the desired result without ever calling it.
I'd go that route if a coach made an issue of it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:47am
Administrator

Quote:

APG:

Camron's post is what I do and have done my entire career. But fact remains is that it is disconcertion because it is keeping the shooter from having an 'unhindered' attempt to make a free throw. The word 'unhindered' is the key word in the definition of a free throw. If you aren't going to stop at least the two defensive players nearest the free thrower from playing the piano, then how can you penalize the same defensive players from saying "miss it, miss it, miss it" while the free thrower is attempting his free throw.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Mon Oct 31, 2011 at 09:58am. Reason: Corrected spelling.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
APG:

Camron's post is what I do and have down my entire career. But fact remains is that it is disconcertion because it is keeping the shooter from having an 'unhindered' attempt to make a free throw. The word 'unhindered' is the key word in the definition of a free throw. If you aren't going to stop at least the two defensive players nearest the free thrower from playing the piano, then how can you penalize the same defensive players from saying "miss it, miss it, miss it" while the free thrower is attempting his free throw.

MTD, Sr.
Sorry, I'm not convinced it's in any way a hinderance to wiggle the fingers. Unless you're willing to require all defenders along the lane stand perfectly still, you're just setting yourself up for problems by trying to deal with this.

Raising and/or lowering arms in concert with other teammates? Sure. Wiggling the fingers? Nah.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Case Book - Disconcertion - Judgement

9.1.3D and 9.1.3G Both apply, and both mention the judgement of the covering official.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I take unhindered to mean...you can't get in the shooter's face. I'm not reading more into it. The defensive team can not disconcert not because it's "hindering" rather because the rules in all the codes say you can't disconcert. Disconcertion is a judgement call and in my judgement, I have a hard time seeing how someone waving their fingers is disconcertion at all.

Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sorry, I'm not convinced it's in any way a hinderance to wiggle the fingers. Unless you're willing to require all defenders along the lane stand perfectly still, you're just setting yourself up for problems by trying to deal with this.

Raising and/or lowering arms in concert with other teammates? Sure. Wiggling the fingers? Nah.
Quote:
I take unhindered to mean...you can't get in the shooter's face. I'm not reading more into it. The defensive team can not disconcert not because it's "hindering" rather because the rules in all the codes say you can't disconcert. Disconcertion is a judgement call and in my judgement, I have a hard time seeing how someone waving their fingers is disconcertion at all.
Why are the defenders doing it? They're doing it with the hope that it will cause the shooter to be distracted and miss. It may not be effective very often, but that is their intent. Since the ONLY reason for them to do it is to disconcert the shooter, why allow it?
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:38pm
Administrator

Quote:

APG:

Since you believe that only getting "in the shooter's face" is hindering the shooter, then it must be okay for the defensive players to yell "miss it, miss it, miss it" while the shooter is attempting his free throw.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
APG:

Since you believe that only getting "in the shooter's face" is hindering the shooter, then it must be okay for the defensive players to yell "miss it, miss it, miss it" while the shooter is attempting his free throw.

MTD, Sr.
That's not what he said. He said there's a difference between hindering and disconcerting. The rule prohibits both but they are not synonymous.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why are the defenders doing it? They're doing it with the hope that it will cause the shooter to be distracted and miss. It may not be effective very often, but that is their intent. Since the ONLY reason for them to do it is to disconcert the shooter, why allow it?
Because I see the rule prohibiting actual disconcertion, not feeble attempts at distraction.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 10:47pm
Administrator

Snaqs:

What Camron and I are saying that the word "unhindered" means just that. The free thrower is being awarded an attempt to score one point from behind the free throw line without any distractions from his opponents. This has been the starndard for as long as I have been officiating and before. The definition of what is a free throw has been the same for well over fifty years.

Camron described how he handles potentional situations of this nature and I have been handling situations like this just like Camron does for as long as I can remember.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 11:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Fair enough, and I have a great deal of respect for both of you.

However, the only time I ever see "jazz hands" is in low level girls ball, and I've never, ever, not once, had an opposing coach or player complain about it. The movement isn't that big (unlike arms rising and falling).

When I played, I wouldn't have been able to see the fingers anyway.

I don't consider jazz hands to be either a hindrance or a disconcertion. If a coach mentioned it, I'd probably simply compliment the team on their "jazz hands" and see if that works.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree.