Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree.
I'm feeling verklempt. Discuss amongst yourselves. Topic: Middle School scoreboards and dress codes, and how they affect the backcourt substitution rules.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

One BIG question though:

"Who's got shooter?"...
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I think it is fine. Officials tend do think that they have more authority then they actually do.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 07:41pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacc View Post
I think it is fine. Officials tend do think that they have more authority then they actually do.

klacc:

"What" do you think is fine? And, please go into detail as to how officials "think that they have more authority then they actually do"? Camron and I would love to know.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukester View Post
"Who's got shooter?"...
Which someone usually confirms they do. So after the first free throw I will step in and say "Number 14" has the shooter so we don't need to keep asking.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 11:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
klacc:

"What" do you think is fine? And, please go into detail as to how officials "think that they have more authority then they actually do"? Camron and I would love to know.

MTD, Sr.
I'm with you on this one. While I can't envision the wiggling fingers actually consituting diconcertion, I suppose it's possible. But klacc's statement here seems like he heard it from a guy who also likes to say officials should be invisible during the game.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why are the defenders doing it? They're doing it with the hope that it will cause the shooter to be distracted and miss. It may not be effective very often, but that is their intent. Since the ONLY reason for them to do it is to disconcert the shooter, why allow it?
+1. Exactly.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Squeaky Shoes

As I have mentioned in the past, I had a player, in different games, behind the shooter and in the space next to the shooter squeak their shoes. Here is the kicker. One time the shooter stopped and looked at the squeaker. (disconcerting?). I held out my hand and called a violation when the free throw was missed. I did not have the time to quietly warn the squeaker.
What about the Coach or Bench personnel yelling during the free throw? I had a Coach yell "Get the Rebound" and it was the 1st of 2 throws.
I try to inform the players. " Hands up or down. No movement or talking when the player has the ball."
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I saw a few comments about if it was legal for the hands to be out, i.e. not vertical, and questioning if it was in the rule book. I have looked and cannot find it either. When I brought it up at an association meeting last night, EVERYONE there said it was not legal, but nobody could tell me where it was in the rule book.

So, I would like to know if anyone on here can point out in the rule book where this is restricted, or if anyone actually restricts players from doing it in the game.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

You won't find it in the rule book because there's nothing in the book that restricts a player from doing this...nor requires the hands to be vertical or down.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
You won't find it in the rule book because there's nothing in the book that restricts a player from doing this...nor requires the hands to be vertical or down.
Right -- there's only the requirement that it not be judged "disconcerting."
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

And that their FEET be within the 4 vertical planes that define the lane space (which is 3 feet by 3 feet) and one of them near the lane lane (whatever "near" is) until the try hits.

A lot of the confusion probably arises from officials trying to extend these restrictions to the hands/arms.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 12:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrose24 View Post
I saw a few comments about if it was legal for the hands to be out, i.e. not vertical, and questioning if it was in the rule book. I have looked and cannot find it either. When I brought it up at an association meeting last night, EVERYONE there said it was not legal, but nobody could tell me where it was in the rule book.

So, I would like to know if anyone on here can point out in the rule book where this is restricted, or if anyone actually restricts players from doing it in the game.
So your association must call a lot of free throw lane violations.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 03:08pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrose24 View Post

This has been my experience as well and why I asked the question. The way I was taught to handle it was tell the players the first time you see the hands and arms not vertical to tell them either hands down or straight up. Have not called any violations for this..just the verbal guidance
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 03:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
This has been my experience as well and why I asked the question. The way I was taught to handle it was tell the players the first time you see the hands and arms not vertical to tell them either hands down or straight up. Have not called any violations for this..just the verbal guidance
Why? What rule are they breaking?