The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 12:42am
We don't rent pigs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
And if you call a foul on a defender, most coaches are not going to question that at all.
I see this as a really, really, really broad statement with, let us say, numerous exceptions.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Re: We already do it.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

If we were to have a discussion about 3 seconds, I wonder how many here would call it the way the rules state it(actually 3 seconds, not 4, 8 or 10 as many have stated here as their personal requirement).

If we were to talk about multiple fouls, I already know of how many people have claimed they have called it and why (This happens at least once a game, funny I have never seen it called).
Regardless of how you call this play, your comparisons are still invalid. The 3-seconds and multiple foul situations you cite are examples where a ref may do a non-call or only call one of two possible fouls on the offending team. With the situation this post addresses, you're not talking about ignoring a situation nor penalizing the team in another way (or less). You're talking about penalizing a defensive player for an illegal movement by the offense. I may choose to no-call this (have to see it), but I can't imagine giving a foul to the defense for an illegal offensive act. It seems prudent to ignore 3-second violations that don't matter or using common sense to choose the first foul that happened rather than calling a multiple foul, but when we penalize the wrong team because we don't like a rule, that seems to be going a bit far, IMHO.

Z
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 02:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Question And your point is?

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

It seems prudent to ignore 3-second violations that don't matter or using common sense to choose the first foul that happened rather than calling a multiple foul, but when we penalize the wrong team because we don't like a rule, that seems to be going a bit far, IMHO.

Z
And I disagree with you. I guess so did the officials on the game today.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

I hav called this foul several times over the years.
Yes it is rare. And I have not called it if the dribbler merely stops and is overrun by the defender. I call it if the dribbler moves into the path of the defender. And guess what? It doesn't just happen at the Pro or College level.
I called this foul just last week in a 5th grade AAU game!
The point guard that the foul was against, was quite advanced for his age, but I still couldn't believe it at first. In fact, it was in front of my partner, but right in front of the defending team's bench. The dribbler took a quick peak over his shoulder to see the defender, then changed his direction, and hip-checked the kid OOBs.
No call from my partner, so I called it.
Later I talked to him about the play in this manner.
"Let me tell you what I saw, and tell me if you agree or not." I explained the same thing I just explained here ,and he agreed with me that that is what happened. He just hadn't seen it before, and was probably a little stunned that a 10 year old would make such a play.
This is a legitimate PC foul,and to not ever call it because you may (WILL) have to explain it to a Coach, isn't a valid argument. IMO