View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 07:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink It may, but more likely will not.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

Heaven help you if this play ever occurs at a time where it is a real game breaker and you are being observed or evaluated. When it is discovered that you knew the rule, saw the whole play, and purposely made the wrong call based on some philosophy you hold, I believe you will be finished in that conference/association or with that assignor.
Just my thoughts, and again you are right that for the good of the game we don't follow all the rules exactly. We simply disagree on this particular case.
Well if I move to the Pacific Nortwest or I work in a conference that advocates this practice, you might be right on many levels. But you also have to do more than just call things that are rules as written, you have to call things that are obvious and easily understandable. And in my experience there are many things that we know the rules, but do not apply to the letter to stay hired in those conferences. And when they changed the rules on 3 seconds and an interrupted dribble in NCAA Rules, we were told by an assignor, "not to go out making this call." You can call it ignoring a rule or not, but that is what this assignor said to officials that work for him. The rest is up to you.

Peace