View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 06:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb We already do it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

JRut on the other hand has taken the stance that he will IGNORE the correct rule and call a foul on the defense anyway. I believe that is irresponsible officiating and that he is doing a disservice to the game by doing this.
If we were to have a discussion about 3 seconds, I wonder how many here would call it the way the rules state it(actually 3 seconds, not 4, 8 or 10 as many have stated here as their personal requirement).

If we were to talk about multiple fouls, I already know of how many people have claimed they have called it and why (This happens at least once a game, funny I have never seen it called).

If we talk about the many scorebook situations that could cause a T, I know many that try to avoid being entirely strict as it states in the rulebook. Because if this situation we are talking about now is a disservice, all these other philosophies are a disservice as well.

I will expect the next conversation we have about those other rules I stated, you will come out and say the same thing. But my guess is, that those examples and many not specifically mentioned will not fit your point of view at the time, and you will say nothing or support your own philosophy on how you would handle those situations. This is one of the many reasons that individuals that actually played the game at some point of their lives, tend to benefit in ways that others that never played do not. Because when you play the game, certain things are expected of you as a player. I do not think any defensive player would be upset if you called a foul on them or even claim "he did not give my those two steps" as their argument. Now I do not know too many officials on blind screens nit pick the "step" because part of the expectation of a blind screen, is to have teammates warn you when being screened. And no different in the rules of verticality on rebounds, am I going to penalize a player for jumping over another player and his opponent did not "box out" or put a body on anyone. All these are judgement calls, but there are things that are going to influence my judgement on these things. A defensive player putting himself in that position is one for me on this particular play.

Peace