View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,
You make some good points in your response. I should also say that you have made some good points in this entire thread. It stands out to me as one in which you have argued rather coherently and intelligently. Sorry to say that I believe many of your other posts have degenerated into name calling and cryptic remarks.
I'll admit that I agree that most of the better officials do not use the correct 3 second rule and I'll concede that we do try to handle administrative matters without the severest of penalities being given.
I'll even throw the traveling rule into the mix with those. However, those are violations and administrative matters. They are a bit different than contact/fouls on the court. Right?
To me your example about using discretion when it comes to rebounding situations is the most analogous. I feel that there is considerable room for an official to use discretion in these mobs that occur under the basket and in the ensuing scrambles for the ball and you rightly point this out.
However, I am going to make the point that it seems to be more justified to officiate in this manner in situations like this where neither team has possession. In a situation where there is clearly a dribbler and a defender, I believe there is little justification for not making the correct call when contact occurs.

Heaven help you if this play ever occurs at a time where it is a real game breaker and you are being observed or evaluated. When it is discovered that you knew the rule, saw the whole play, and purposely made the wrong call based on some philosophy you hold, I believe you will be finished in that conference/association or with that assignor.
Just my thoughts, and again you are right that for the good of the game we don't follow all the rules exactly. We simply disagree on this particular case.