View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 08:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I am not talking about converging paths. I am talking about a dribbler that is moving along the same path as the defender, then takes that extra big step and turn to launch themselves past and in front of the defender, in the process drawing contact that appears to come from behind. The ballhandler initiates, the defender is called, every time. And I will always teach players to do that on offense until I see it called different - which means I will always teach them to do it
There's different rules for dribblers and shooters too,Coach.Most good officials will look for the shooter who jumps into a defender.In my experience,the play that you are describing above very rarely has parallel,STRAIGHT LINE paths,which is the situation that JeffRef described originally.The defender usually alters their path while playing defense,or is approaching the dribbler at an angle(even if it is slight),which bring the "guarding" principles into play over the "screening" principles.

The two casebook plays do a good job of spelling out the difference,and also why they are supposed to be called differently.