View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 29, 2003, 09:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: If you make that call, you will still need to duck.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

But what far too many people (coaches, players, fans, Billy Packer, and officials too) forget is that the ball handler does not have carte blanche on the basketball court. The rules were changed regarding this back in the 1950's (read the NFHS Basketball Handbook).
My comments have very little to do with what coaches, players, fans and especially what Billy Packard thinks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

In 31 years of officiating I have only called a player control foul for blocking (illegal screen) on the ball handler only twice. Why, because it happens so rarely. Because it happens so rarely, an official should not call it? Absolutely not. Because the ball handler should not be given an advantage that he is not entitled to just because far too many people do not understand the rules.
I agree with you about screening principles as it relates to a ball handler. As a matter of fact there was an NCAA play on their video tape that showed a foul called by a stationary ball handler (not dribbling). So I agree with you about a screen. But I do not agree that a active dribbler should be called for a blocking foul because he cut off a defender. I do not think that is a good common sense play to call. I have not read a casebook play (which to me is the most important thing) that backs up your interpretation. All I read you saying is that this should be called based on some obscure wording and reading into the wording and apply it to a very specific situation. If the rule makers had that in mind, then they should at the very least put that in the casebook to have us all understand that interpretation. I just find your interpretation a stretch.

If anyone wonders why I am so against NF tests to determine officiating ability or rules knowledge, this is a perfect example why. Because what you are doing is trying to make something fit that might not be they way the rules people intended. You are using wording to try to connect two different situations.

Peace