The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 09:48am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat View Post
Show me the rule.
I'm not talking about in the game where you are subject the official's judgment, I am talking about in how you interact with your officials, as was tref, Nevada and everybody else that commented about it.

It's not a rule, it's an expectation of professional courtesy even if you are not being shown any in return. Of course we, as officials, hold our fellow brothers and sisters in stripes to a higher standard when it comes to conduct within our own ranks. We have enough problems with the ignorant and uniformed. I'm actually surprised that this surprises you.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, what you are basically saying is that you will give another coach more leeway and hit me harder because I also officiate.

Therefore, you have no decided to give the other coach and advantage and already taken away your role as impartial official who is there to keep things fair.

Well done. And if you never know I also officiate, now what?
I don't believe he meant in-game that he would hold an official to a higher standard. Rather, when we have stories here about officials in a coaching role, we expect better of them because you know what it's like to be on the other end of the stick. If you want to see an example of that, search for a thread that poster Judtech started where he went off on the officials and the whole forum went off on him.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 08:41am.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 09:52am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
So, what you are basically saying is that you will give another coach more leeway and hit me harder because I also officiate.
Never said that, you are inferring quite a bit. I already explained my comment. But if you are making it a point to tell me you are an official, my leash is already getting shorter on what I'm allowing you to get away with.

Quote:
Therefore, you have no decided to give the other coach and advantage and already taken away your role as impartial official who is there to keep things fair.

Well done.
With the way you are willing to address fellow officials, I'm not surprised you got stuck. Too bad he didn't toss you too.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 09:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Well done. And if you never know I also officiate, now what?
Let me ask you, coach. Are you a registered official with your state? Are you in an association? Does your state or association have guidelines on how to behave when watching a game; particularly how you treat the officials on the court?

The fact is, you are held to a higher standard. Because:
1. Everyone in the gym that matters knows you're an official, and comments like that show the current officials up; intentionally or not.
2. The official knows you are an official, and comments like that are a personal attack due to your status.

Did tref overreact? Maybe, but we've all had the "ireftoo" coach who tries to tell us how to officiate his game.

There's a varsity ref in my association who also coaches Freshman girls. When you work his games, you wouldn't know he's an official except in how he phrases his questions. "What did you see on that? What was the call?" I've never had him argue a call.

In your situation, he would have simply turned around and walked back to his bench, ate his timeout, and probably said something to the assigner after the game.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 09:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I don't believe he meant in-game that he would hold an official to a higher standard. Rather, when we have stories here about officials in a coaching rule, we expect better of them because you know what it's like to be on the other end of the stick. If you want to see an example of that, search for a thread that poster Judtech started where he went off on the officials and the whole forum went off on him.
There was one exception.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 09:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Never said that, you are inferring quite a bit. I already explained my comment. But if you are making it a point to tell me you are an official, my leash is already getting shorter on what I'm allowing you to get away with.

With the way you are willing to address fellow officials, I'm not surprised you got stuck. Too bad he didn't toss you too.
+1 on everything.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I respect that, coach! My apologies!

Just curious, with the game situation (time & score) being what it was, why say anything at all?

Also, if you dont think it looks bad for a coach (while he's upset) to have a quick face to face with an official, then walk away, thats on you.

And, "bad officiating" is a commentators term. Nobody "in the game" talks like that.
Yeah, it was a bad comment. I was probably talking as an official at that moment and deserved the T.

Also, I do ultimately agree I should be held to a higher standard.

She really did go down pretty hard and wasn't moving. I truly was worried for her which is why I yelled timeout. Her dad came and thanked me after the game.

Anyhow, thanks again. I should have handled it better. I appreciate the people who point out I could have handled it better rather than attacking me. We need to keep each other on course at times and I veered off.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In your situation, he would have simply turned around and walked back to his bench, ate his timeout, and probably said something to the assigner after the game.
You are correct. I should have not said anything. This was an 8th grade where ADs get their own officials.

I shouldn't have baited you guys with the show me the rule stuff. I truly agree with the higher standards part.

Sorry I got everyone off track.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'm not talking about in the game where you are subject the official's judgment, I am talking about in how you interact with your officials, as was tref, Nevada and everybody else that commented about it.

It's not a rule, it's an expectation of professional courtesy even if you are not being shown any in return. Of course we, as officials, hold our fellow brothers and sisters in stripes to a higher standard when it comes to conduct within our own ranks. We have enough problems with the ignorant and uniformed. I'm actually surprised that this surprises you.
Okay, I misunderstood. Sorry. I didn't argue a call this game. The other coach was on him all game, even on the floor yelling at him. I think it was a culmination of everything and I got stuck at the end.

You are correct Welpe.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, it was a bad comment. I was probably talking as an official at that moment and deserved the T.

Also, I do ultimately agree I should be held to a higher standard.

She really did go down pretty hard and wasn't moving. I truly was worried for her which is why I yelled timeout. Her dad came and thanked me after the game.

Anyhow, thanks again. I should have handled it better. I appreciate the people who point out I could have handled it better rather than attacking me. We need to keep each other on course at times and I veered off.
It surprises me that after 22 years of service, you didn't know we are held to a higher standard both on & off the court. Whether we are working, playing, coaching or spectating.

Its girls basketball, thats what they do!! They fall down & hurt themselves... After 15 years of service on that side, it surprises me that you dont know this either.

Perhaps I attacked you, perhaps I just pointed out the facts & you didnt like it. You STILL fail to answer any questions...
up 7 with 30 seconds left, with the ball. WHY?
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It surprises me that after 22 years of service, you didn't know we are held to a higher standard both on & off the court. Whether we are working, playing, coaching or spectating.

Its girls basketball, thats what they do!! They fall down & hurt themselves... After 15 years of service on that side, it surprises me that you dont know this either.

Perhaps I attacked you, perhaps I just pointed out the facts & you didnt like it. You STILL fail to answer any questions...
Actually, I can understand the instinct to ask if you can save your TO. At 30 seconds, it's just now getting to the point where you could put in your subs. It's not like it's a 20 point lead.

He knows the standard is higher, he just got a bit snippy. God knows I've done that.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You are correct. I should have not said anything. This was an 8th grade where ADs get their own officials.

I shouldn't have baited you guys with the show me the rule stuff. I truly agree with the higher standards part.

Sorry I got everyone off track.
No worries. Around here, even 8th grade is assigned by an assigner. A different assigner than the high school stuff, but still an assigner (who happens to be a varsity official also).

In your situation, I would let it go. Sounds like you have a career MS ref working the game; not much to be gained really. You said he was older, but he still may be "new" at officiating.

Last edited by Adam; Wed Mar 23, 2011 at 10:35am.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
2. Was the girl in danger? Did you bring an EMT onto the court? If not, a few extra seconds isn't going to make things worse. Get his attention, point to the player. Unless she's unconscious or bleeding profusely, I don't get the "urgency" here.

I can understand the urgency if the player laying there motionless. How do we know if she is conscious or not?

Also, mechanics wise, the trail official should have stayed back or kept an I on the player until the opportunity to stop play. Should not have taken either coach to point out that a player was down.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I can understand the urgency if the player laying there motionless. How do we know if she is conscious or not?

Also, mechanics wise, the trail official should have stayed back or kept an I on the player until the opportunity to stop play. Should not have taken either coach to point out that a player was down.
I agree. The fact is, he's right about it being bad officiating. He was just wrong to say it.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I know it is a higher standard. I do not allow any of my girls to make calls on the court or from the bench, and win or lose they find every official after every game and say thank you.

It was stupid. I was more upset that after I helped the other coach's player he was the one who demanded I be charged with a timeout. And he was the coach on the officials all game.

Yeah, I got snippy. Sorry. I come in here and read all the time and respect what I read in here. The only thing missing is a Mark Padgett witty retort.