View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 23, 2011, 09:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat View Post
So, what you are basically saying is that you will give another coach more leeway and hit me harder because I also officiate.

Therefore, you have no decided to give the other coach and advantage and already taken away your role as impartial official who is there to keep things fair.

Well done. And if you never know I also officiate, now what?
Let me ask you, coach. Are you a registered official with your state? Are you in an association? Does your state or association have guidelines on how to behave when watching a game; particularly how you treat the officials on the court?

The fact is, you are held to a higher standard. Because:
1. Everyone in the gym that matters knows you're an official, and comments like that show the current officials up; intentionally or not.
2. The official knows you are an official, and comments like that are a personal attack due to your status.

Did tref overreact? Maybe, but we've all had the "ireftoo" coach who tries to tell us how to officiate his game.

There's a varsity ref in my association who also coaches Freshman girls. When you work his games, you wouldn't know he's an official except in how he phrases his questions. "What did you see on that? What was the call?" I've never had him argue a call.

In your situation, he would have simply turned around and walked back to his bench, ate his timeout, and probably said something to the assigner after the game.