The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Not relevant to the discussion at hand, really. If they didn't, the proper call would have been to grant the TO and charge the TF (assuming it was requested in time) rather than ignore it and charge the 5 second violation.
I disagree that it is not relevant. It could be argued, that if Texas did not have a TO remaining and the request came simultaneous, or close to, the 5 second violation, that he called the violation rather than issue a TF for an excessive TO.
Right or wrong, it could be a possibility, which is why I asked whether they had a TO or not.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 10:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburt View Post
I disagree that it is not relevant. It could be argued, that if Texas did not have a TO remaining and the request came simultaneous, or close to, the 5 second violation, that he called the violation rather than issue a TF for an excessive TO.
Right or wrong, it could be a possibility, which is why I asked whether they had a TO or not.
Fair enough, I didn't realize you were suggesting the official simply lacked the stones to make the right call.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. How in the world is the clock operator supposed to see when the ball lands?

2. John Adams addressed this on TV. IOW, always listen to bob.
Yeah, that's what I thought. But I think I've seen several situations this year where the put time back on the clock based on what the video shows as opposed to when there is a ref's signal -- fouls in particular.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 10:10am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
It is certainly debatable whether the TO request was made in time to beat the 5 second count in this play. Whether or not the team had a TO should not play any part in that debate.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Mon Mar 21, 2011 at 10:31am.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 10:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesmaven View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought. But I think I've seen several situations this year where the put time back on the clock based on what the video shows as opposed to when there is a ref's signal -- fouls in particular.
Agreed, I had been under the impression from similar situations in the past that they would normally set the clock based on when the violation, timeout request, or foul occurred.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Exceesive Foul UConn / Cincinnati

Kemba Walker drove to the hole after he stole the ball and the UC defender came hard in an attempt to block the shot. An excessive contact foul was called against UC. I didn't see it that way.....

Don't know if it has been brought up earlier. Just wonderin what the brotherhood thought ??????

I have nothing. What was the UC defender suppose to do, go in soft???

Hey those guys are better than me - just want opinions..........
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 10:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Kemba Walker drove to the hole after he stole the ball and the UC defender came hard in an attempt to block the shot. An excessive contact foul was called against UC. I didn't see it that way.....

Don't know if it has been brought up earlier. Just wonderin what the brotherhood thought ??????

I have nothing. What was the UC defender suppose to do, go in soft???

Hey those guys are better than me - just want opinions..........

Already discussed, in this thread, starting here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Kemba had a breakout. #32 for UC attempts to block. Makes body contact from behind while Kemba is in the air and then fouls him going for the block. Both officials signal what I assume to mean excessive and not intentional. Seemed correct to me but I do not know what the wording of the NCAA rule is. Can someone paste it for me?
Read on from there for responses.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Snag what quote # was that ????
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Snag what quote # was that ????
If you click the little arrow icon after Spence's name, it will take you there (to post #47).
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I didn't see any of the FSU/ND game. What caused all the T's to be called?
The only T I saw was an FSU player who complained about being tripped to the floor. Problem is his teammate tripped him. He came up yelling at the trail, WHACK, then tried to pretend he was yelling to his coach.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 11:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If that was his only bad call, then he would grade better than other officials, and then would move on by virtue of sucking less.
OK. And Higgins and Burr could have graded out higher too in that St. Johns/Rutgers game and advanced also in the Big East if that was their only bad call.

There's degrees of bad calls.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did Texas have any TO remaining?
Yes, they had one remaining.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone have a problem with Jim Burr bailing out of his lead position in the last moments of the Texas game. If he stays in position, he would possibly have a call on either the drive or the rebound.

When it hit 0:00 he was by the NCAA Logo in between the 3pt line and the free throw lane. Not underneath where he should be.

Thoughts?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 09:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCOfficial View Post
Did anyone have a problem with Jim Burr bailing out of his lead position in the last moments of the Texas game. If he stays in position, he would possibly have a call on either the drive or the rebound.

When it hit 0:00 he was by the NCAA Logo in between the 3pt line and the free throw lane. Not underneath where he should be.

Thoughts?

I've only seen that hilight once and I didn't pay attention to Burr. However I notice he is still way ahead of the ball when he's the new trail. John Adams has specifically pointed that out as a mechanic that is not acceptable but Burr continues to do it. I just don't understand the need for him to get ahead of the ball. I wish I could hear him explain why he does that.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCOfficial View Post

Thoughts?
I can't stand Texas and was rooting for Arizona, but even I thought that both Texas players were fouled on the final possession and that Jim Burr put himself in a worse spot by trying to get an angle. I'm surpised that the C didn't have a call.

Texas got hosed. This game will drop Burr from advancing, IMO.
Closed Thread