The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I timed it a couple of times on the stopwatch and it's around 4.8 each time. Pretty darn close if you ask me.
Still doesn't excuse the poor mechanics on this play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I timed it a couple of times on the stopwatch and it's around 4.8 each time. Pretty darn close if you ask me.
The problem is that the rules call for a VISIBLE count and he never chopped for a fifth time. Not to mention that close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. The time-out should've been granted.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

As an Arizona fan, I am going to just be happy it went our way.

I really cannot see how that happened though...
Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
As an Arizona fan, I am going to just be happy it went our way.

I really cannot see how that happened though...
As a Texas fan, I will say we choked the game away and that y'all deserved to win.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Mar 20, 2011, 11:56pm
We don't rent pigs

How can anybody say this is a bad call? Assuming the 4.8 stated above is accurate, what do we expect? If the arm count doesn't match, it is a flaw, sure. But did that have any impact on this particular play? Was the thrower counting the swings out of the corner of his eye thinking "I still have time." I doubt it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
How can anybody say this is a bad call? Assuming the 4.8 stated above is accurate, what do we expect? If the arm count doesn't match, it is a flaw, sure. But did that have any impact on this particular play? Was the thrower counting the swings out of the corner of his eye thinking "I still have time." I doubt it.
What do we expect? You don't blow the whistle until you reached 5 visible counts. This is a very basic officiating skill and it's inexcusable to blow that simple of a call at that level. This isn't a judgment call we are talking about...

I have no dog in this fight, but it's ok to acknowledge that the official kicked it.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:29am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80 View Post
What do we expect? You don't blow the whistle until you reached 5 visible counts. This is a very basic officiating skill and it's inexcusable to blow that simple of a call at that level. This isn't a judgment call we are talking about...

I have no dog in this fight, but it's ok to acknowledge that the official kicked it.
Getting the call right and using the correct mechanics are 2 different issues. If he blew the whistle and signaled the violation at 4.8, the call is about as good as it gets. It would have been nice if the arm swings had matched. But this little goof had no impact on this play or this game. jmo

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Getting the call right and using the correct mechanics are 2 different issues. If he blew the whistle and signaled the violation at 4.8, the call is about as good as it gets. It would have been nice if the arm swings had matched. But this little goof had no impact on this play or this game. jmo
If he had signalled the violation at a measure 5.5, with an arm swing at 4, I could maybe see your point.

The fact that he was early AND his arm swing was on 4 makes it a bit problematic. Considering that the player was asking for a TO when he made the call...ugggh. That is very ugly.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
As a Texas fan, I will say we choked the game away and that y'all deserved to win.
Funny, right before that play, with Arizona down 2 and Texas putting the ball in...I was thinking that we choked the game away and Texas deserved the win...

I have to admit I was getting a bit tired of watching Brown go to the line every time he threw himself down the lane with abandon. Seemed like the entire strategy was pretty much drive the lane, look for the call. And they got it. What did he hit - 13 free throws in a row? Game had no flow to it at all late in the second.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

So I turned the TV off not long after the Arizona game, but I have a friend who was telling me later that John Adams came back on the show and referenced the "4-second" timeout rule in defending the referee, esssentially saying the rule IS in the book. Did anyone else see this or was my buddy mistaken??
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
So I turned the TV off not long after the Arizona game, but I have a friend who was telling me later that John Adams came back on the show and referenced the "4-second" timeout rule in defending the referee, esssentially saying the rule IS in the book. Did anyone else see this or was my buddy mistaken??
First I've heard...it's not in the rule book nor case book.

Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Whether we believe the Texas player would be savy enough to count the chops or not, there is supposed to be visible signals of the 5 seconds. Kid sees 4 and asks for time out then gets a 5 second call because the chops do not match the count.

All evidence points towards an official error, but as a baketball fan that was not the difference in the game.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 05:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Just saw the clip on my SportsCentre.

I timed the play as did the sports report. They had 3.9s and I have 4.02s. That's not even close to being a violation.

Horrible call.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 05:49am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

The backcourt call was wrong. The play was a sideline thowin. The player jumped in the air and caught the ball near midcourt. He landed on one foot in the front court and his secondfoot landed on the division line. He then picked up his first/pivot foot and stepped in the front and turned his second foot into the front court. There was no backcourt because the player caught the ball in the air and landed with his first foot in the front court and his second foot in the backcourt which he is allowed to do. The violation should have been for travel when he lifted his pivot foot and then put that foot back on to the court.
Closed Thread