Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Which is why you don't go back and ask the coach what was happening when the whistle blew.
Good advice. On many levels.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 05:35pm
In Memoriam

NFHS rules 4-36-1 and 4-36-2(b) covers it in case anybody gives a sh!t.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 05:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Thanks. Just checking to see if RefMag had it right. They didn't.
I wonder if anyone over there ever edits their articles. That wasn't really a toughy.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 05:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I wonder if anyone over there ever edits their articles. That wasn't really a toughy.
How badly did they slice this one?
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 05:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Someone could turn their screw ups into a job opportunity.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Play: A1 is holding the ball out of bounds for and alternating-possession throw-in. Prior to A1 releasing the ball, A4 and B5 are called for a double foul. How is play resumed? How is the alternating-possession arrow affected?
The point of interruption is the throw-in.

Just one of the many reasons I dropped Referee.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Mar 14, 2011 at 07:50pm.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 06:41pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Ok, let me throw this out there. Why is the POI an alternating possession throw-in? The POI rule says that if the interruption occurs during a throw-in, you resume with a throw-in for that team. Nothing in that rule specifies that the throw-in remains an AP throw-in. You simply get the ball for a throw-in due to the penalty of the fouls.

This would be similar to having a kicked ball during an AP throw-in. The resulting throw-in is due to the violation, therefore it's not an AP throw-in.

A single foul during an AP throw-in doesn't cause the arrow to change. A defensive violation during an AP throw-in doesn't cause the arrow to change. So why just assume that a double foul does cause the arrow to change?
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 06:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Ok, let me throw this out there. Why is the POI an alternating possession throw-in? The POI rule says that if the interruption occurs during a throw-in, you resume with a throw-in for that team. Nothing in that rule specifies that the throw-in remains an AP throw-in. You simply get the ball for a throw-in due to the penalty of the fouls.

This would be similar to having a kicked ball during an AP throw-in. The resulting throw-in is due to the violation, therefore it's not an AP throw-in.

A single foul during an AP throw-in doesn't cause the arrow to change. A defensive violation during an AP throw-in doesn't cause the arrow to change. So why just assume that a double foul does cause the arrow to change?

The double foul doesn't cause the arrow to change. The completed AP throw-in after the foul causes the arrow to change.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 06:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

The arrow does NOT change until AFTER a successful throw-in following the POI, unless throw-in team violates. I don't think anyone has suggested that it DOES. Although I could be confused I know that I didn't make any such claim. The new throw-in is the same as the one that was not completed due to the DF--an AP throw-in.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
The arrow does NOT change until AFTER a successful throw-in following the POI, unless throw-in team violates. I don't think anyone has suggested that it DOES. Although I could be confused I know that I didn't make any such claim. The new throw-in is the same as the one that was not completed due to the DF--an AP throw-in.
Agreed. It's not the same as a kicked ball violation by B.

Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Quote:

There are two separate throw-ins happening in the OP. The first throw-in is for the AP throw-in. The arrow does not move because there is a foul by either team. In this case, by both teams; a double foul. The resumption of play for a double foul is POI. Because there is no team control during a throw-in, the AP arrow is used as the POI. This AP throw-in is for the double foul, not for the original AP throw-in. Hope this helps.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 07:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish View Post
There are two separate throw-ins happening in the OP. The first throw-in is for the AP throw-in. The arrow does not move because there is a foul by either team. In this case, by both teams; a double foul. The resumption of play for a double foul is POI. Because there is no team control during a throw-in, the AP arrow is used as the POI. This AP throw-in is for the double foul, not for the original AP throw-in. Hope this helps.
It helps, but it's wrong.

Would you go to an AP throw-in if the DF was called during a throw-in following a violation?

You really need to read the definition of POI in the book.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 07:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish View Post
POI during a throw-in is the throw-in. The lack of team control does not affect the status of the subsequent throw-in. The administration of this play is the same in NCAA, which has TC during a throw-in, as it is in NFHS, which does not have TC during a throw-in.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 07:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

The rule is that the arrow changes when the throw-in is complete, correct?
If a DF is called prior to the completion of the throw-in, it was never completed. I can't imagine the rules committee wants this play to result in A getting a new throw-in and keep the arrow. They have made it clear that an AP TI is considered to be slightly different than a normal TI, so it seems logical to me to assume they would want us to return to the AP TI if a DF is called during that TI.

The only alternative is to assume the AP TI get ignored, and you return to the TI for A with the arrow not changing from A.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
POI during a throw-in is the throw-in. The lack of team control does not affect the status of the subsequent throw-in. The administration of this play is the same in NCAA, which has TC during a throw-in, as it is in NFHS, which does not have TC during a throw-in.
Yep.

4-36-2b
Play shall be resumed by one of the following methods:
b. A free throw or a throw-in when the interruption occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.

Closed Thread