The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 07:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

First of all, now that you know how to quote multiple posts, you can learn how to break a single post into multiple quoted portions. This separates your words from those to which you are responding.

1. Click on "quote" on the post which you want to quote.
2. Copy the portion where it says "quote=xxxx:111111". Don't forget to include the brackets in your copy.
3. Stop the quote by typing "/quote", including the aforementioned brackets.
4. Paste in the "quote=xxxx:1111111" portion again to begin a new quote. The "111111" simply references a specific post, so the process allows people to click on it and be moved directly to the quoted post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBrown View Post
I guess I'm going to need step-by-steps, because I don't know how you get independent quotes to appear like you do within the same post. Are you manually placing the QUOTE parameters around every independent phrase that you are copy-and-pasting? I have copied and pasted before, but not using QUOTE parameter syntax. I don't think you considered the way I did it acceptable. I want to say that I could copy and paste equally easily, regardless of the method someone uses to respond. Not so?
Like I said, you may find it petty. It was merely a request to conform with the prevailing method used here if you're going to engage in elongated discussions.

Quote:
My first response is to question why you apply a mandatory order to the POI options. ... From what I can tell so far, they seem to be mutually exclusive when other rules in the book are also considered, making a particular order irrelevant.
Really? Mutually exclusive? Yet you messed up a very basic concept by trying to use 4-36-2c when an interruption occurs during a throw-in, which is clearly a 4-36-2b issue. Frankly, until we can establish agreement on this point, I'm not sure it's worth any more discussion.

Quote:
I have no idea where you get the idea that relying only on what is written in the definition of POI dictates 2c for every TI. 2c excludes itself if there is team control, for starters (team-control DF, for example), and adds three additional exclusionary circumstances. I am dumbfounded by your statement. Please correct/clarify yourself.
No, I did not say "rely(ing) only on what is written.... dictates 2c for every TI." I said without a way of prioritizing the articles, there is no consistent way of deciding whether to use 2b or 2c during a throw-in. Any interruption during a throw-in, by definition, also occurs when there is no team control.
4-12-6
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 09:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

I still haven't read any combination of rules from Mr. Brown that says the POI throw-ins don't retain their original status. I want him to quote where it says it "will not be an AP throw-in" and that the endline throw-in "will now be a designated spot throw-in".

I'm sure he doesn't need step-by-step instructions how to read and then type it exactly word-for-word.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Apr 04, 2011 at 07:58am.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 07:41am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Everyone, feel free to answer this one.
How charitable of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Gah! I just knew this one was coming out again...
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Snaqwells;746518][/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Like I said, you may find it petty. It was merely a request to conform with the prevailing method used here if you're going to engage in elongated discussions.
I didn't consider it petty, but wondered if worth the effort. I can see that it has its uses. "Thanks" to you and APG for the lessons.

Quote:
Frankly, until we can establish agreement on this point, I'm not sure it's worth any more discussion.
It does appear to be at the heart of it, I agree.

Quote:
Really? Mutually exclusive? Yet you messed up a very basic concept by trying to use 4-36-2c when an interruption occurs during a throw-in, which is clearly a 4-36-2b issue. . . . without a way of prioritizing the articles, there is no consistent way of deciding whether to use 2b or 2c during a throw-in. Any interruption during a throw-in, by definition, also occurs when there is no team control. 4-12-6
You are definitely begging the question. Approach the issue without preconception, as evidenced by, "you messed up a very basic concept". Your use of "priority" is further evidence of preconception.

The Article's drafters specified no particular order or hierarchy for parts a, b, and c. It is just a simple list. We could scramble the list's identifying letters, and it would make no difference to application or meaning. The drafters easily could have (and no doubt would have) included a hierarchy if they intended one. No where does it say, if b, then not c, as you suggested in a previous post. Can we agree on that? If not, indicate the word or words that you think direct you to consider the parts in a particular hierarchical order. Don't introduce our play situation in some way, here; rely on the language as written. If we agree so far, then all parts are theoretically relevant to any given play situation, simultaneously. According to the language, then, nothing proscribes c from applying merely because b could also be construed to apply. This is where I say you depart from the language. In TI situations, you say that if b can be construed to apply, c must then be disregarded.

So far, in your play situations that you have been testing my interpretation of Article 2 with, you say I have gotten the outcomes correct, but by incorrect means. My means (a strict adherence to the language) gets me the correct answers on your test situations, and then also squares me with Referee Magazine, Scrapper, and Nevada in Bob Jenkins' play situation. If there is an inconsistency, it appears to be with your means--unless you have gone back to Jurassic times. [Could not resist]
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I still haven't read any combination of rules from Mr. Brown that says the POI throw-ins don't retain their original status. I want him to quote where it says it "will not be an AP throw-in" and that the endline throw-in "will now be a designated spot throw-in".

I'm sure he doesn't need step-by-step instructions how to read and then type it exactly word-for-word.
Have you found your NFHS book, yet?
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 11:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So far, in your play situations that you have been testing my interpretation of Article 2 with, you say I have gotten the outcomes correct, but by incorrect means.
I'm going to drop all the snark and just start dealing with the issue: now, let me ask these basic questions and we'll start from there.

APTI interrupted by an IW. How do you resume? You've stated before you're using 4-36-2c to go with an AP because there is no team control (TC), is that still your opinion?

Endline throwin interrupted by an IW. How do you resume? Are you going with 4-36-2c again?

Standard, non-AP, spot throw-in interrupted by an IW. How do you resume? 4-36-2c? If not, why not?
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 12:41pm
M.A.S.H.

My popcorn bill is going to be extremely high after this one is over.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 02:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Have you found your NFHS book, yet?
Yep...and didn't see any language that says it cannot be an AP or non-designated throw-in when going to POI. Could you be so kind to quote the exact verbiage you're basing your ruling on? I'm away on business now and didn't bring my books.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 04:19pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
My popcorn bill is going to be extremely high after this one is over.
You are assuming there will be a lock.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 05:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
THIS is the one you were thinking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

Gah! I just knew this one was coming out again...
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Article's drafters specified no particular order or hierarchy for parts a, b, and c. It is just a simple list. We could scramble the list's identifying letters, and it would make no difference to application or meaning. The drafters easily could have (and no doubt would have) included a hierarchy if they intended one. No where does it say, if b, then not c, as you suggested in a previous post. Can we agree on that? If not, indicate the word or words that you think direct you to consider the parts in a particular hierarchical order. Don't introduce our play situation in some way, here; rely on the language as written. If we agree so far, then all parts are theoretically relevant to any given play situation, simultaneously. According to the language, then, nothing proscribes c from applying merely because b could also be construed to apply. This is where I say you depart from the language. In TI situations, you say that if b can be construed to apply, c must then be disregarded.
You are not correct here. The A, B, C order of the items is important. The POI rule is a three step process which an official must apply to the specific situations mentioned in the top portion of the rule to determine how to resume the game.
The first step is to determine if there was team control by either side. If so, then that team receives a throw-in at the nearest OOB spot to the location of the ball. That is Part A and that takes priority over the other two listings.
This is obvious too. You have a double foul while team A is dribbling near the division line. You apply Part A and stop. You don't consider using AP arrow as stated under Part C. There are even Case Book plays which instruct us on the administration and all of the rulings adhere to the A, B, C order of the POI rule.

Please understand that the intent of the committee is to use the AP arrow as a last resort when determining possession. If anything else (team control, a team due a throw-in or FT, a throw-in or FT was in progress) can be used, then that takes priority and possession is awarded based upon that action.

The arrow is only used when there is no reason to give one team the ball over the other, such as an unsuccessful try for goal and no one has yet obtained control of the rebound when the stoppage occurs. See the Case Book play on a DF when there is a try in flight and how to resume if it is successful or unsuccessful.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You are not correct here. The A, B, C order of the items is important. The POI rule is a three step process which an official must apply to the specific situations mentioned in the top portion of the rule to determine how to resume the game.
The first step is to determine if there was team control by either side. If so, then that team receives a throw-in at the nearest OOB spot to the location of the ball. That is Part A and that takes priority over the other two listings.
This is obvious too. You have a double foul while team A is dribbling near the division line. You apply Part A and stop. You don't consider using AP arrow as stated under Part C. There are even Case Book plays which instruct us on the administration and all of the rulings adhere to the A, B, C order of the POI rule.

Please understand that the intent of the committee is to use the AP arrow as a last resort when determining possession. If anything else (team control, a team due a throw-in or FT, a throw-in or FT was in progress) can be used, then that takes priority and possession is awarded based upon that action.

The arrow is only used when there is no reason to give one team the ball over the other, such as an unsuccessful try for goal and no one has yet obtained control of the rebound when the stoppage occurs. See the Case Book play on a DF when there is a try in flight and how to resume if it is successful or unsuccessful.
Nevada, you may have fallen into snarkless Snaq's trap. Here, I believe he is arguing that team A gets to keep the APTI that existed at the time of the IW because of 2b. His endgame is to use agreement with him on this to support his position regarding Bob Jenkins' situation--if 2b prescribes APTI when IW, then 2b prescribes APTI when DF. I say you may have fallen into his trap, because you seem to rely exclusively on the language of 2b back in post 94 when you discuss the APTI question. I believe you contradict yourself if you rely exclusively on 2b for your conclusion in 94, and then rely exclusively on 2b to say 2b prescribes an APTI in the case of an IW during an APTI.

Using your own words, I have to disagree with your assertion that an actual hierarchy exists in Article 2. I refer you back to your words in post 94: "Too bad that's not how they wrote the rule," ". . ., but that is NOT what the text of the POI rule says," and, "The strict text of the POI rule . . .." If the drafters indended a true hierarchy, we wouldn't be arguing about it--that's how they would have written the rule.

When Article 2 is read as a whole, in context with other rules and Case Book examples that relate to POI, I don't see a purpose to divining a hierarchy. The appropriate option presents itself based on the circumstances of the play situation and a simple process of elimination. Replace the identifying letters with bullets, or scramble the list's "order", and tell me if doing so changes the outcome of any of those Case Book plays you refer to. Using your DF example while dribbling, there is no need to begin with "a". One could begin with "b" or "c", and the result is still "a", because "b" and "c" eliminate themselves, do they not?

I agree with what you say regarding the definition of POI and how APTI fits into it. I don't rely on some hierarchy that is not stated in the text for that, however. Other rules and Case Book examples make it clear that the APTI component of the POI definition is a fairness mechanism, as it is used in the case of a held ball, or ball knocked OOB unseen by an official or by two opponents simultaneously.

Quote:
I'm going to drop all the snark and just start dealing with the issue: now, let me ask these basic questions and we'll start from there.
Since you offer no answer or rebuttal to what I said where Nevada quotes me, I take it you want to "start" elsewhere, because you have no answer or rebuttal.

Quote:
APTI interrupted by an IW. How do you resume? You've stated before you're using 4-36-2c to go with an AP because there is no team control (TC), is that still your opinion?
My primary answer from Post 78: "Sounds like AP, to me. 7-5 doesn't cover it, as far as I can determine. The CB offers what I mentioned in Sitch 1, which together, seem to put such whistles into their own category--we're advised to treat them as though they didn't happen, to the extent possible." As far as I could find, there isn't one instance in the books where IW doesn't result in a resumption of play entailing everything that was in existence at the time of the IW, to the extent that is possible. Can you point me to one?

Quote:
Endline throwin interrupted by an IW. How do you resume? Are you going with 4-36-2c again?

Standard, non-AP, spot throw-in interrupted by an IW. How do you resume? 4-36-2c? If not, why not?
Same answer. The books seem to treat it the same as an official's TO--or any legally administered TO, I suppose.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 10:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Since you offer no answer or rebuttal to what I said where Nevada quotes me, I take it you want to "start" elsewhere, because you have no answer or rebuttal.
You can see it how you want. I see we're at an impasse. Either I'm incapable of dismantling your point, or you're incapable of recognizing that dismantling. In the end, it doesn't matter which of us is right on that point. I felt it was time to simply start over. No points have been conceded either way.

Quote:
My primary answer from Post 78: "Sounds like AP, to me. 7-5 doesn't cover it, as far as I can determine. The CB offers what I mentioned in Sitch 1, which together, seem to put such whistles into their own category--we're advised to treat them as though they didn't happen, to the extent possible." As far as I could find, there isn't one instance in the books where IW doesn't result in a resumption of play entailing everything that was in existence at the time of the IW, to the extent that is possible. Can you point me to one?
Nowhere in the rules are IWs treated differently than DFs. Or am I missing it?

4-36-1 lists all the times POI is to be used, and there isn't a different POI rule for IWs vs DFs.

My point is, if you revert back to the original AP throw-in on an IW, you need to do so for a DF as well. 7-5-3b directs you to 4-36 for DFs, which is a redundant version of 4-36-1.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 10:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Now that you've learned to quote properly (thank you), you can drop the color changes if you want.
Quote:
Nevada, you may have fallen into snarkless Snaq's trap.
Now, if you think Nevada is falling, has fallen, or ever will fall, for anything I have to say; you're sadly mistaken. I don't possess that sort of power over anyone, especially Nevada.

My response to this point, however, is simple.

Sitch: Spot throw-in (non-AP) for A. DF called, during the throw-in, on A2 and B2. Without a heirarchy, how do you determine whether to use 4-36-2b (a new TI for A) or 4-36-2c (an APTI for whomever has the arrow)? There is no team control, and it's during a throw-in, so either could apply. Right? If not, why not?

No one is saying the heirarchy is spelled out in the rule; but you can't properly apply it without going through them in order.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Apr 07, 2011 at 11:09am.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2011, 10:59am
Archaic Power Monger

Notice the blue font...I blame Jud for this one.