The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not have to prove anything to you. It is not a foul at the levels I work. If you want to call that, go right ahead. But you will be suspect if you call that where I work and not expect some body contact on blocked shots. Never been reprimanded for not calling this a foul.

Peace
You're right you don't have to prove anything to me. I only reff HS V all the way down to 3-4 grade, not varsity elementary, just third grade and fourth grade. If I passed on that foul in any kind of HS game I would be reprimanded for not making this call.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
You're right you don't have to prove anything to me. I only reff HS V all the way down to 3-4 grade, not varsity elementary, just third grade and fourth grade. If I passed on that foul in any kind of HS game I would be reprimanded for not making this call.
OK.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Might call the foul, but only due to the arm hitting the head. But I would have no issues with those that don't have a whistle for a foul.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is real simple. Call what is expected in your area. That is what I am going to do. This is not a foul for me at any level, not with the players I see.

Peace
Rut...that is because you are getting NBA philosophies at your NFHS meetings.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
But I would have no issues with those that don't have a whistle for a foul.
While I do understand the reasoning behind not calling the foul - (discounting the contact on the head) the contact didn't cause the blocked shot, and neither player was going to retrieve the ball before going OOB - would it make a difference if there was another defender standing right along the endline, and they managed to catch the ball before it went OOB? Now the ball remains live, and one team has a 5-on-4 until the player who was knocked OOB gets up and rejoins the play. Does that change anyone's opinion from a no-call to a foul?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
While I do understand the reasoning behind not calling the foul - (discounting the contact on the head) the contact didn't cause the blocked shot, and neither player was going to retrieve the ball before going OOB - would it make a difference if there was another defender standing right along the endline, and they managed to catch the ball before it went OOB? Now the ball remains live, and one team has a 5-on-4 until the player who was knocked OOB gets up and rejoins the play. Does that change anyone's opinion from a no-call to a foul?
There you go, getting logical again, M&M.

By the way, thought I'd finally get to see you Sunday ... was watching the Super Bowl and during one of the commercials I went to grab something to eat and my wife called out, "Hey, look, there's that M&M Guy again." No striped shirt, though.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Rut...that is because you are getting NBA philosophies at your NFHS meetings.
Wrong. Everything someone does is not about the NBA. I do not see this called in Men's basketball.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No it does not change anything I feel about the play. The player fell because he had a defender block his shot. Not necessarily because of contact afterward. Players fall and we do not call fouls all the time. That is not the reason to call a foul or not call a foul.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
There you go, getting logical again, M&M.

By the way, thought I'd finally get to see you Sunday ... was watching the Super Bowl and during one of the commercials I went to grab something to eat and my wife called out, "Hey, look, there's that M&M Guy again." No striped shirt, though.
It sucks - I get no residuals from those commercials either...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wrong. Everything someone does is not about the NBA. I do not see this called in Men's basketball.

Peace
...how about in BOYS basketball?
Richland, WA
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...how about in BOYS basketball?
What do I work the most of?

Peace
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It sucks - I get no residuals from those commercials either...
Never knew you were so, uh, young looking for having all those years in officiating, too. Or that you were from Detroit?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No it does not change anything I feel about the play. The player fell because he had a defender block his shot. Not necessarily because of contact afterward. Players fall and we do not call fouls all the time. That is not the reason to call a foul or not call a foul.

Peace
Well, then maybe we saw the play differently; I thought the block was clean, but the body contact forced the player to fall OOB. If you saw it differently, I'm not going to argue as it was outside my area.

Of course players fall all the time without a foul needing to be called. I was simply trying to address some of the comments where it was pointed out since the block was clean, and the ball was going OOB anyway, there's no advantage gained from the contact, so it's a no-call. I'm just wondering how how long one should wait in determining when there really is an advantage from the contact before blowing the whistle?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What do I work the most of?

Peace
I have no idea...Men's (NCAA) or Boy's (NFHS)?

I'm just having fun with ya Rut...many pretty good officials here said they would call this play a foul in NFHS. I tend to agree...of course we have the benefit of instant replay and not just a bang bang reaction during the game.

If you were to pass on this play in one of our HS games...I probably wouldn't think twice about it.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Feb 09, 2011, 02:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Peace
I'm with you on this one. A play like this is only going to happen in a boys game and as the L, I'm merely calling the OOB.