The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 07:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You should re-read his post. He gave examples of contact after the blocked shot that would warrant a foul call.
Yeah, I admittedly quit reading before I should have; but the example given is of a player knocked into the concession stand (essentially). I get his point though (I've engaged in hyperbole to make a point before), that the breaking point is somewhere in the middle.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I understand there are different opinions (it would take a fool to deny it), and differing opinions on this have been expressed by people I respect. Let me just as one question that may come across as over-the-top.

Are you saying that an airborne shooter is fair game if his shot has been blocked before contact?

No I don't believe they are "fair game", but at the same time, as far as legally getting to a ball legally vs. having to go "through" a player to get the block are 2 different scenarios in my opinion. I do believe if you ref the airborne shooter concept too PURELY then you could have unwarranted whistles on plays where they are not needed and you have not allowed a great athletic play, imo. Just one man's view
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 04:52pm
We don't rent pigs

Question for those who say this is not a foul:

If this same amount of contact occurred, (shooter knocked to the floor) would it be a foul if there was no block? Defender arrived late, shooter changed hands, or whatever?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post

If this same amount of contact occurred, (shooter knocked to the floor) would it be a foul if there was no block? Defender arrived late, shooter changed hands, or whatever?
I dont see how this is comparing apples to apples. you have changed the basic nature of the play from start to finish and applying different standards you are alluding that the outcome or results would be the same.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post

I'd have to see that play to have a judgement on it. I just know that the play in question is not something my supervisors want a foul call on.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:57pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The player fell because he had a defender block his shot. Not necessarily because of contact afterward.
Quote:
The force that made the shooter fall in my opinion had little to do with body contact created by the defender.
In the revised play, now we know it was because of contact afterward.

Quote:
The initial contact is all ball up top. This doesn't absolve the defender of a foul (I would call one if I thought the defender solidly landed on top of the shooter, for example), but I'll let a bit more subsequent contact down below go when the block is that clean up top.
Now that there was no block,clean or otherwise, does that change things?

Quote:
If the shot attempt is altered by the contact, if the player is put at a disadvantage in making the shot attempt, I'll call the foul.
The shot attempt was not altered, and there was no disadvantage in making the attempt, so this play can never be a foul?

Lonesome Dove