The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Pass to himself

I saw this play this weekend and thought it was a violation but it wasn't called. Player at top of the key shoots a high arching shot. The ball never touches the rim or net(classic air ball). Same player follows his shot catches the ball in the air, comes down then shoots it again and scores. Parents thought it was a pass to himself but neither coaches nor referees seemed concerned. Was this correct no call?
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 03:05pm
We don't rent pigs

When the player releases the ball on a try, (shot) this ends both team and player control. The shooter has the same right to retrieve the ball as any other player, whether it touches anything or not.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Butterfly182310
Correct "no call". Team control ended as soon as the ball was released on a "try" for goal. No team control means it's anybody's ball.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 03:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The officials apparently knew the rule. Kudos to the coaches for possibly knowing the rule too. Below is the citation from the Case Book.

4.44 SITUATION B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not
touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team control after the ball was released on a try.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Finally, there's no such thing as a "pass to himself."

By definition, a pass is movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, bats or rolls the ball to another player.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 04:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrope22 View Post
Player at top of the key shoots a high arching shot. The ball never touches the rim or net (classic air ball). Same player follows his shot catches the ball in the air, comes down then shoots it again and scores.
Mythbusters.

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the information. It ill be interesting to see how the parents react to this information when I see them again.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 05:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thanks for the information. It ill be interesting to see how the parents react to this information when I see them again.
Here's a hint. Don't bother, they won't believe you anyway.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 05:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:

Do you also want to explain "over the back" and "reaching"?
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 06:37pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Do you also want to explain "over the back" and "reaching"?
"Moving screen! Moving screen! C'mon ref, you gotta get that one!"
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't this rule different in the NCAA or NBA. I know it's different in one of them.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 10:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
Isn't this rule different in the NCAA or NBA. I know it's different in one of them.
Retrieving one's own ariball is a violation in the NBA.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

I had a player get upset with me for calling a violation when he passed the ball off the glass to himself for a dunk. It was very obvious it was a pass not a missed shot. I thought for sure I got it right but not one hundred percent.
Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
I had a player get upset with me for calling a violation when he passed the ball off the glass to himself for a dunk. It was very obvious it was a pass not a missed shot. I thought for sure I got it right but not one hundred percent.
Play on...I'm not a mind reader. If a player throws it off the glass 99.9 percent of officials will judge it to be a try. I'm not going to be in that .1 percent. Plus I believe there's a case book play that says it it legal to throw the ball off of one's equipment and retrieve the ball. Someone will come along and post it I'm sure.

Also, by rule and definition, a player can not pass the ball to himself. It is impossible.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 23, 2011, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Play on...I'm not a mind reader. If a player throws it off the glass 99.9 percent of officials will judge it to be a try. I'm not going to be in that .1 percent. Plus I believe there's a case book play that says it it legal to throw the ball off of one's equipment and retrieve the ball. Someone will come along and post it I'm sure.

Also, by rule and definition, a player can not pass the ball to himself. It is impossible.
What if a player where stuck in a trap situation or just a situation where he or she lost her dribble and he or she throw it over the heads of the defender and then goes and retrieves it on the other side?
what would be the difference?