The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to get some opinions from the forum what is the correct call regarding a muffed pass.

During a fast break, A1 is dribbling down the side line and has just crossed the division line. He his closely guarded by B1 and notices teammate A2 is all alone running down the center of the court. A1 stops his dribble and attempts a pass to A2 for an uncontested layup. But A1 mis handles the ball and throws a muffed pass that rolls about 10 feet in front of him near the side line. A1 runs after the ball and picks it up. The ball is never touched by B1.

My partner calls a violation for passing to himself. No one complains and we continue.

After the game I discuss the play with my partner and tell him that in my opinion I think the play is legal because I would have ruled it as a fumble, not a pass. Fumbles can be picked up by the player, even though the dribble has ended. He ruled it has a pass, and you cannot pass to yourself. The reason that I would call it a fumble because a pass by definition is the movement of the ball to another player. The is no advantage or logical reason to pass to this area of the court.

What is the correct call. On muffed passes, do you treat it as a fumble, or a pass?
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Your partner blew it!

Your definition is exactly correct. Any player may pick up a muff, even the one who muffed it.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2000, 11:10pm
PDLeBoutillier

I, for one, will be interested to see if anyone can come up with a rule on this question. I spent quite awhile looking for something that pertained to it without success.

I was interested that in relating the play you said that A1 attempted a pass but later while discussing it with your partner you would have ruled it a fumble rather than a pass. Since you recognized the play as an intended pass my gut reaction is that your partner called it correctly. Just because A1 muffed the pass wouldn't, in this situation, seem to make any difference. But as I said, I'll be watching for anyone would can post a rule.

[This message has been edited by PDLeBoutillier (edited January 15, 2000).]
Old Sun Jan 16, 2000, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

DH & PDL,

PDL you are correct in saying that there is not a specific reference within the rulebook or the casebook. However, I offer the following three items.

a. We all have learned that you can Fumble-Dribble-Fumble, but not Dribble-Fumble-Dribble.
b. Rule 4.4.5 - Pass hits backboard and A1 the passes may legally recover the ball.
c. Rule4.42A - A player who makes a legal try may recover the ball without being called for traveling.

Now, take our situation. The player attempts to make a pass but for whatever reason the player to whom he was passing never gets the ball. I believe by rule, that we can allow him to recover the ball in this situation, just as we allow the player to get the ball in the above two situations.

Maybe saying the other referee "blew the call" was a little harsh. But, I do think that to allow the player to recover the ball is the right thing for the game.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2000, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

[quote]Originally posted by DH Anderson on 01-15-2000 01:11 PM

I would like to get some opinions from the forum what is the correct call regarding a muffed pass.

During a fast break, A1 is dribbling down the side line and has just crossed the division line. He his closely guarded by B1 and notices teammate A2 is all alone running down the center of the court. A1 stops his dribble and attempts a pass to A2 for an uncontested layup. But A1 mis handles the ball and throws a muffed pass that rolls about 10 feet in front of him near the side line. A1 runs after the ball and picks it up. The ball is never touched by B1.

I agree that the muffed pass should be considered a fumble, and thus that he was entitled to pick it up as long as he didn't try to dribble again. A muff is a muff is a muff--It should be fairly obvious in your situation that the player lost control of the ball accidentally and consequently couldn't complete the pass.

Here's a question: If a player shoots an airball and, realizing it's going to miss everything, runs and catches it before (or even after) it hits the floor, would your partner call it a "pass" to himself? (it IS a legal "play")

Old Sun Jan 16, 2000, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

"Now, take our situation. The player attempts to make a pass but for whatever reason the player to whom he was passing never gets the ball. I believe by rule, that we can allow him to recover the ball in this situation, just as we allow the player to get the ball in the above two situations."

I don't think in this situation we CAN allow the player to recover the ball. By definition, a fumble is the ACCIDENTAL loss of player control. A pass that never gets there is not considered accidental loss of player control. Too bad for the passer that the passee never got the ball, but the passer better not pick it up or touch it before someone else does--that's travelling!
Old Mon Jan 17, 2000, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Good point of the definition of a fumble. Likewise, look at the definition of a pass. It is the movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, bat or rolls the ball to another player. In this situation, the ball did not go to another player, and there was no advantage gained by what he did. What really happened was that he fumbled while attemping a pass, ie; a muffed pass. Therefore, I treat it as a fumble and allow him to pick it up. If it was a 'poor pass', something that goes in the direction of the teammate, but off target, and fumbling did not occur, I would never allow the passer to retrieve the ball.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Muffed pass, plain and simple.. The player is allowed to pick it up and pass or shoot, but cannot dribble again. The key thing in this particular situation was that he tried to pass the ball , muffed it, and the (ball was on the floor!!) Obviously no player can catch their own pass, provided the ball is still in the air from the original release. Once a player passes the ball or tries to, and the ball then contacts the floor or any part of the legal court, that player is allowed to retreive it.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Barney

I think you are confusing Rule 4-15-2 which states: During a dribble the ball may be batted into the air provided it is permitted to strike the floor before the ball is touched again with the hand(s).
The key word is DURING a dribble.
Maybe I misunderstood your statement but it sounds to me like you are stating a player could pass to himself pick up the ball and then pass to himself again as long as it hits the floor.

Dan
Old Tue Jan 18, 2000, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Good point. Again, if the pass is ACCIDENTALLY fumbled, he can retrieve it without dribbling again. If it is an ERRANT pass, another player must first touch the ball before the original passer may touch it again. Touching the floor first before retrieving it is irrelevant here.